Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mars Offensive 28th March 1918

RobertBr

• 1 year later...

168th Brigade 29th March 1918

The actions of the battalions and enemy on and after the 29th March 1918.

Key

Time or + which indicates an event at a later time but before the next actual time

Battalion action Or report

Enemy action or report in italics

1/13th London Regiment (Kensington’s)

Morning

Patrols watch ‘No Man’s Land’. Much ammunition brought back from the dugouts in RAILWAY TRENCH

Noon

‘D’ Company 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles chased enemy party down TOMMY ALLEY as far as ARLEUX LOOP

Enemy patrols more active.

Platoon in TIRED ALLEY chased small enemy patrol back into ARLEUX.

Platoon in TIRED ALLEY again chased small enemy patrol back into ARLEUX.

Patrols on the ARLEUX ROAD reported that no enemy had been seen in the open up to

Patrols on the ARLEUX ROAD reported that no enemy had been seen in the open up to that time

About 20 enemy with Machine Gun establish themselves in the Gun Pits at B.5.d.2.5

Night

Patrols active to midnight as far east as RAILWAY TRENCH reported that the enemy were not attempting to move West of ARLEUX LOOP

Enemy quiet except for slight harassing fire on the junction of the RED LINE and C.Ts.

Battalion relieved by 75th Canadian Battalion and marched to Mont St Eloy.

1/14th London Regiment (London Scottish)[

01.30 to 02.30

BAILLEUL EAST POST heavily shelled

morning

Large numbers of German infantry in their forward trenches were spotted and bombarded by Allied artillery.

+

An attack was anticipated but it was a

relatively quiet day

BAILLEUL EAST POST, OUSE ALLEY and TOMMY ALLEY intermittently shelled throughout the day

night

Relieved by 54th Canadians and moved to Durham(Lancaster?) Camp near Mont St Eloi.

1/4th London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

+

In Brigade support

Relieved by 87th Canadians (4th Canadian Division)

Good to find this thread. My grandfather, Major Walter Edward Maxfield, in command of "D" Company, 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles at Sugar Post, was awarded his D.S.O. for his actions here.

Peter

I am glad that this was of help. I would be interested in any further information you might have on your grandfathers involvement.

At some stage (hopefully before the 100th anniversary) I want to update the topic,

Regards

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Here are the War Diary entries: (extracts, from:)

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e046/e001125270.jpg

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e046/e001125271.jpg

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e046/e001125272.jpg

Thur March 28.,1918 Battalion HeadQuarters and the Platoon from "A" Coy. left the SUPPORT LINE at 2.30 A.M. to join the main body of the Battalion at HANSON CAMP, NEUVILLE ST. VAAST Leaving MAJOR MAXFIELD and "D" Coy to assist the IMPERIALS if the threatened attack came off.
Bn. H.Qrs and number one platoon had to pass through a severe barrage of gas shells, all H.Qrs officers slightly gassed, but all officers remained on duty.
LIEUT P. SHANNON and six ORs were wounded and one OR killed and nine ORs gassed...
Fri March 29.,1918 Battalion in RESERVE with the exception of "D" Coy in FRONT LINE, ARLEUX SECTOR under command MAJOR MAXFIELD...
Sat March 30.,1918 Battalion in RESERVE. MAJOR MAXFIELD and "D" Coy were relieved by the IMPERIALS in the FRONT LINE and reported back to their Battalion at 5.00 A.M. this morning. The enemy had launched an attack on the 29th inst. commencing in the ARLEUX SECTOR & extending to the right. "D" Coy under (Continued) MAJOR MAXFIELD were able to render valuable assistance in repelling the attack. Casualties 2 ORs wounded.

(From: Library and Archives, Canada. Online War Diaries of 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles)

The previous page is quite interesting too - during the relief of the 1st CMR, the German artillery opened up with great force: heavy, field guns and gas, so "D" Coy, and part of "A" Coy (which was the usual Company that my grandfather was with) stayed in their own part of the trenches to assist if an attack came off:

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e046/e001125269.jpg

And:

Awarded the D.S.O. for gallantry on Easter morning 1918; the particular incident being that he deployed and ordered his Company (which included several boys from the Souris area who were with him in the Manitoba Dragoons) in a manner which enabled them to keep a numerically superior force of the enemy at bay through the night until reinforcements reached them just before dawn. (from a letter to a newspaper from his brother Bert/Herbert, back in Canada)

May 28th Mentioned in Despatches #L.G.30706

June 3rd Awarded Distinguished Service Order #L.G. 30716, The London Gazette Publication date: 31st May 1918 Supplement: 30716 Page: 6461 CANADIAN FORCE. Maj. Walter Edward Maxfield, Mtd. Rif. www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30716/supplement/6474 (and click back to 6461)

'Easter morning 1918' must refer to Good Friday, the 29th March; Easter Day being the 31st, as they rejoined the rest of the Battalion in Reserve at 5.00am on the 30th. (Unless "through the night until...just before dawn" is the night of the 29th/dawn of the 30th?)

Cousins thought they had the original D.S.O. citation, but no sign of it yet. I will look for other sources.

Best wishes,

Pete.

Pete

Thanks for the information which is slightly at odds with what I have.

The 56th were asked to extend the area they were defending from the Canadians by taking over the line to their left. The new Divisional Boundary was fractionally north of Arleux to Willerval and beyond. The German attack started at 03:30 with a very heavy artillery bombardment (gas at first) but did not extend quite as far as Arleux; Tommy Post is an approximate boundary. Their infantry assault started at 07:30

I can imagine that the Canadians Battalion HQ was north of the boundary, but it seems strange that by 08:30 they did not realise the expected attack had not commenced. Fog of War?

A little more detail is in the War Diaries as follows:

At 09:00 on 28th 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles holding SUGAR POST come under orders of O/C 1/14th London Regiment (London Scottish).

1/13th London Regiment (Kensington’s) held the line north of Sugar Post and were in touch with 43rd Canadian Battalion on their left. At 12:15 the 1st company Canadian Mounted Rifles in SUGAR POST came under battalion orders. At noon on 29ththe Kensington's record ‘D’ Company 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles chased enemy party down TOMMY ALLEY as far as ARLEUX LOOP.At 01:00 on 30th the Battalion was relieved by 75th Canadians.

I suspect the CMR were ordered out just prior to the 75th formally relieving the Kensington's so it just appears that the 'Imperials' relieved them.

Regrads

Bob

Bob - a few edits to the post above, then I transcribed the relevant days from the War Diaries:- (Presuming B.H.Q B.10.A.55.35. SHEET MAROEUIL is SUGAR POST?) (I am asking my friend Thorsten Pietsch of Frontflieger if he knows who the crew were, or what the aircraft was - he did find the details for the one the 1st CMR brought down on the 23rd August 1917!)

Looking at that "8.30 A.M." again (28th March) - it was quite faint, but on closer inspection it's 2.30 A.M.! Spelling as original.

1918 ECURIE WOOD CAMP March 23rd O.O.#99. Batt. in RESERVE.
Batt. left ECURIE WOOD CAMP in column of route at 9.00 A.M. to relieve the 2/5th W. YORKS REGT. in the SUPPORT AREA of the ARLEUX SECTOR. This relief was carried out quietly and expeditiously and completed at 5.00 P.M.
Batt. H.Q. located at B.10.A.55.35. *** having two companys on the right of B.H.Q and two companys on the left of B.H.Q. B & D Coys on the right flank. C & A on the left. JWN.
B.H.Q B.10.A.55.35. March 24th Batt. in SUPPORT.
SITUATION:- Artillery on both sides active. * "A", "B" & "D" Coys each supplied a wiring party of 2 officers 2 N.C.Os & 48 ORs for work south of TOMMY ALLEY JWN.
B.H.Q B.10.A.55.35. SHEET MAROEUIL March 25th Batt. in SUPPORT.
SITUATION:- Both our own Artillery and the enemys active.
LIEUT. KENNY evacuated to CORPS REST CAMP, FRESNICOURT.
LIEUT. WEBB reported back from CORPS SCHOOL at PERNES
LIEUT COYNE returned from a three days course with the ARTILLERY.
Large working-partys were sent out by each Company in charge of officers to put up new wire & repair the old, and a small party repaired and cleaned a broken down dug-out. J.W.N.
Batt. H.Q. B.10.A.55.35. March 26th Batt. in SUPPORT.
SITUATION:- Our Artillery very active especially about 4.00A.M. when the "Heavies" opened up.
Each company furnished partys of men to strengthen & repair the entanglements in front of the RED LINE
An enemy aeroplane came over our trench at 4.15 P.M. flying very low and shooting at our men with two machine guns. The 1st C.M.R. Lewis Gunners immediately opened fire bringing the plane down two hundred [yds] in front of our trench. The pilot & observer were taken prisoners and taken to Batt H Q, also papers, maps etc. (were secured. J.W.N.
Batt. H.Q B.10.A.55.35. March 27th Battalion in SUPPORT. O.O.#100
SITUATION:- Our Artillery active. Enemy Artillery very active on our front and extending away on the right.
1st C.M.R.Bn. with the exception of H.Qs & D Coy. and one platoon of "A" Coy. were relieved by the LONDON SCOTTISH and KENSINGTONS on our right joining up with the 9th CANADIAN INF. BRIGADE on our left. Both the Imperial Brigade & Canadian Brigade taking over part of our front. The relief was commenced shortly after midnight but after "C" Coy, B Coy & part of "A" Coy had got safely away the remainder of the Battalion remained in their own part of the trench, as it was thought possible the enemy might launch an attack as his artillery fire both heavy & field guns opened in great force and he projected great quantities of gas. Our transport which was waiting for our Lewis Guns, equipment etc, had four ORs gassed and two horses severely wounded, and the men of one platoon marching out after being relieved were caught by gas, 12 having to be evacuated to hospital. J.W.N.
H.Q & 'D' Coy at B.10.A.55.35 March 28th "A", B","C Coy at HANSON CAMP
Battalion HeadQuarters and the Platoon from "A" Coy. left the SUPPORT LINE at 2.30 A.M. to join the main body of the Battalion at HANSON CAMP, NEUVILLE ST. VAAST Leaving MAJOR MAXFIELD and "D" Coy to assist the IMPERIALS if the threatened attack came off. Bn. H.Qrs and number one platoon had to pass through a severe barrage of gas shells, all H.Qrs officers slightly gassed, but all officers remained on duty.

LIEUT P. SHANNON and six ORs were wounded and one OR killed and nine ORs gassed.

Batt. with the exception of "D" Coy (In Support Line) Remained at the STAND TO all this day prepared to march at five minutes notice
According to instructions received from the 3rd CAN. DIVISION the 1st C.M.R. BATT. left HANSON CAMP at 7.00 P.M. and marched to WAKEFIELD CAMP ECURIE.
LIEUT. GAYNOR reported back from leave to ENGLAND. 20 ORs reported back from Courses at FERFAY. 40 OR reinforcements joined the Batt from C.C.R.C. [Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp] J.W.N.
Battalion H.Q. WAKEFIELD CAMP, ECURIE. March 29th
Battalion in RESERVE with the exception of "D" Coy in FRONT LINE, ARLEUX SECTOR under command MAJOR MAXFIELD.
The Intelligence Officer and one officer & one N.C.O. from each company went forward at 2.00 P.M. to locate positions to be taken by the 1st C.M.R Bn in case of an enemy attack.
At 4.00 P.M. the Bn had orders from 3rd CANADIAN DIVISION to move at once to HANSON CAMP NEUVILLE ST VAAST and marched off forthwith taking over HANSON CAMP from the 38th CAN. INF. BATT.
16 O.Rs. rejoined the Bn from the 185th TUNNELING COY.
CAPT. KENNEDY with 10.ORs returned from the 3rd DIVISIONAL SCHOOL FERFAY. J.W.N.
BATT. H.Q. HANSON CAMP March 30th
Battalion in RESERVE. MAJOR MAXFIELD and "D" Coy were relieved by the IMPERIALS in the FRONT LINE and reported back to their Battalion at 5.00 A.M. this morning. The enemy had launched an attack on the 29th inst. commencing in the ARLEUX SECTOR & extending to the right. "D" Coy under (Continued)
HANSON CAMP March 30th (Continued) MAJOR MAXFIELD were able to render valuable assistance in repelling the attack. Casualties 2 ORs wounded.
At 4.30 P.M. MAJOR LAWS, D.S.O. the INTELLENGCE officer, and two officers from each company proceeded forward to reconnoitre the forward Area in case the Battalion would be asked to make a counter attack.
HANSON CAMP was shelled twice during the day at 5.00 A.M. and 1.30 P.M. some shells dropped within 17yds of the HUTS but failed to explode. J.W.N.
HANSON CAMP March 31st Battalion in RESERVE. Burnett Laws Major
A/O.C. 1st. CMR. Bn. J.W.N.
The reproduction is not represented as an official version of the material reproduced or as having been made in affiliation with, or with the endorsement of the source: Library and Archives Canada.
J.W.N. was the Assistant Adjutant, Lt. James Wilson Neill, b. 30th Oct 1885.
So, to clear up my confusion: the German Artillery barrage for the actual attack started at 03.30 on Thursday, the 28th March; Infantry assault at 07.30; and "D" Coy chasing the enemy party down Tommy Alley at Noon the next day, Good Friday, the 29th. Correct?
Pete.

Pete

Thanks for the update. I agree with your summary at the end of your post.

The Map Reference B.10.A.55.35 is not sugar post but is just to the NW of Willerval South post and close to Tired Alley (you can just see 'LEY' to the left on my snip).

You can see that the 'Support HQ' is similarly not in a post. Looking at the rest of the MAROEUIL map that's a common theme with most HQs in or close to a Communications Trench.

Bob

post-11115-0-79277600-1419282934_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

This is a great exchange of information.

My great uncle was a sergeant in the 1/13 London (Kensingtons). He kept a rather sketchy diary and for 28 March 1918 he recorded "Sent to hold York Post". I have not found a map showing the location of York Post. Does anyone know?

Tony

Tony

I have no record of a York Post, However I do know that there were some small posts set up that never appeared on any map.

Do you have any more information that might help locate it?

Regards

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I don't have much more to go on. I am pretty sure my Great Uncle was in C company. His dairy entry for 29 March 1918 is: "Held York Post all day. Heavily shelled. Relieved at night by 54th Canadian Division. Left at 10:00 p.m. Shelled all the way out."

It may not be possible to pinpoint the exact location of York Post, but it would be great to have general idea of where it might have been. Any speculation or opinions much appreciated.

Regards,

Tony

Tony

The following is an extract from the 168th Brigade diary

1/13 Kensington’s: Took over line from TOMMY POST (Inclusive) North to TIRED ALLEY.

Battalion HQ at junction of ARLEUX LOOP SOUTH and SEVERN ALLEY

‘C’ Company: 1 Platoon in ARLEUX POST. Company less 1 Platoon in ARLEUX LOOP (NORTH or SOUTH is not stated, but NORTH is outside the nominal Brigade boundary) on left of ‘A’ Company

‘A’ Company: 1 Platoon in TOMMY POST. Company less 1 Platoon in ARLEUX LOOP SOUTH.

On the map I show 'C' (Red) & 'A' (Green) Compnies with a guess that the boundary between them was at the Battalion HQ.

'B' & 'D' Companies hold the communication trenches and Red Line behind them.

They were right on the northen edge of the attack, Oppy Post being the nominal northen limit although Tommy was attacked. The very front line was lightly held except fo the posts whch could eventually be abandoned and the survivors withdrawn to the lines. Your Gt Uncle states "Held York Post all day" so my hypothesis is that he was not directly attacked. With the rear held by 'B' and 'D' Companies then a post between Arleux Post and Arleux Loop South would be logical protecting the line of retreat from Arleux Post. There is a junction in Severn Alley that meets tha criteria.

There is a later entry that can contradict this hypothesis "14:30 One platoon left in ARLEUX LOOP NORTH to make demonstrations." If 'C' Company were in the northern loop then I either place 'York Post behind the line they held or in Arleux, Ib both cases protecting a Communications trench.

I think there is an existing thread for the Kennsington's it might be worth asking the experts there about 'York Post'

Bob

post-11115-0-26162800-1427490846_thumb.j

Mars Offensive 28th March 1918

I have been greatly impressed by the amount and standard of research, and knowledge that as gone into this thread , but did all this really take place on Mars? :hypocrite:

Tony

I just realised that the 62nd West Riding Division had been in the line arround Arleux. Posts and Trenches were often named by the maen and Divisions that dug them.

A look at their battalions War daiaries might just help locate York Post

Bob.

• RobertBr changed the title to Mars Offensive 28th March 1918Mars Offensive 28th March 1918
  • 1 month later...

For the 100th aniversay I have an update to my original work on the 56th Div extending it to the 4th, 15th and 3rd Div ( in order from North to South).

I have generated timelines for each division and before and after maps. There are anomalies in the work and the maps could be better (plan to rework them).

The 15th (Scottish) Division and 3rd Division were both involved in the Michael Offensive and their War Diaries and reports tend to treat them as one action in two phases ftrom 21st to 29th March. Both divisions were continuosly in the line for over 50 days.

During the battle a major factor was communications. Nearly all wires to the front brigades was cut by the initial barrage, leaving runners and pigeons as the main communication system. This has resulted in some major delays between sending and receiving messages which is reflected in the War Diaries (2 to 3 hours differences). I have tried to reconcile these and some very obvious trench map co-ordinate errors.

The stated objective of the Mars Offensive was (I believe) to sweeep arround Arras thus taking out Vimy Ridge and totally undermining the British positions. Looking at the reports I now believe the plan was to take Arras before turning North. The main thrusts of the attack were on Gavrelle and arround German held Monchy le Preux and Wancourt i.e. the roads to Arras.

Bob

Maps are extracts from Ancestry and National Archives.

Edited by RobertBr
Amendment

4th Division

Timeline

Pre offensive Map    } subsequent Posts

Post Offensive Map }

Report by:

DHQ

12 Brigade

Time/Date

10Bde

11Bde

28th

Heavy Bombardment on 3rd System. Heaviest to North of R Scarpe

Enemy bombarded batteries with HE and Gas

Essex reported heavy shelling of front and support lines

“ Coys Kings ordered up to Mississippi and Missouri trenches

Front Line cleared

(Pioneers to take up positions in Army Line S Scarpe)

(RE to take up positions in Army Line S Scarpe)

(RE to take up positions in Army Line n Scarpe)

Infantry attack commenced making slow progress and suffering heavy losses

All wire communications form Division to Infantry Brigades lost. Runners and Pigeons used.

1 Coy Kings ordered to Stoke Trench

08:15

Essex holding Harry - Humid trenches to junction with Cable trench

Humid and Harry being shelled.

Enemy in Front Line and reinforcements seen moving up.

Essex CO reports enemy broke through on right flank

15th Div reported to be withdrawing

Strong point line Cupid-Support-Curly-Charlie had gone.

Hants Holding Cadiz

In morning an emergency Brigade was formed from 3 RE Filed Companies, the Pioneer Battalions and men from the transport lines

1 Coy Somersets form defensive flank facing the Scarpe watching all bridges

Lanc Fus holding part of Harry – Humid-Hussar-Hydrabad.

Enemy reported to advancing over Greenland Hill and also concentration in valley

Enemy bombing down Naval Trench towards Gavrelle

15th Div now in Army Line

S Scarpe Lancer Lane still being held with a defensive flank formed facing south along Pelves Lane.

N Scarpe Mount Pleasant being held in the peninsula

Kings ordered to take over defence of Mississippi and Missouri

All Trench Mortars out of action

20 OR of Tunnelling Coy in Mississippi

Lancs Fus + 50 of Essex holding Trent – Hyderabad. Kings holding Mississippi-Missouri-Logic- Stoke. Small party Lancs Fus in Harry

S Scarpe withdrew to 3rd System in Italian Trench

1 Coy Rifles move forward to link Hants with 12 Bde

Essex OC reported he had attached his remaining men to Lancs Fus

Provisional Brigade ordered to send 4 of its 6 Coys to the Army Lines N of Scarpe. One company to move along Athies-Fampoux Rd to CAM Valley

Lost touch with 169Bde 56th Div

169Bde in touch in Trent and Missouri

3 Coys Field RE to take over Mississippi and Missouri

N Scarpe line Trent-Hyderabad-Havana-Camel-Coot plus a defensive flank to SE.

S Scarpe Warwicks conforming with movement of 15th Div to Army Line.

Enemy in Feuchy Chapel.

N Scarpe the Seaforths evacuated the peninsula and formed defensive flank along Arras-Douai railway facing SE.

Hants withdrew to Effie Trench.

Rifles in new Front Line, Stoke, down to the Scarpe

6 hostile batteries seen ~ 1000yds SW of Gavrelle. Artillery asked to take action against them

S Scarpe. Ordered to attack South Eastwards to establish a line from the Brigade boundary on the Army Line to the railway where the lines crossed the Scarpe  

Instructions issued in case withdrawal to 3rd System(?) is necessary.

2 coy Pioneers + 1 Coy Dukes ordered to occupy ground East of Battery Valley

Field Coys in Mississippi and Missouri to be relieved by 2 Coys of ‘Provisional Battalion’

Trench Mortar Battery (2 Guns) deployed to Tripoli Trench

New Front Line defined. 169 Bde boundary Trent-Hudson-Stoke – 11 Bde Boundary.

Lancs Fus & remaining Essex to hold Front Line. Kings in Mississippi-Missouri-Logic

18.40 – 21.00

MG Btn now had 38 MG (+ ~6 with 10 Bde)

Enemy quiet

S Scarpe Line Advanced to SE of Feuchy. Defensive flank being dug across Battery Valley.

N Scarpe troops withdrawn from peninsula at Fampoux Lock

Withdrew to Stoke Ave and new trench to Fampoux Lock

29th

to 02.00

Quiet night

Consolidation of positions complete.

Casualties for day:

Kings         60 OR

Lancs Fus 250 OR

Essex         475 OR

Enemy in Stoke Trench S of Camel Trench. Artillery asked to shell.

Kings ordered to get in touch with 11Bde

Enemy in Stoke bombing down Camel Trench. Somerset’s counter attack driving them out.

Enemy try to bomb down Hussar but were driven back.

Considerable movement of hostile troops, transport and guns behind their lines. Targets engaged by MG and artillery.

Enemy reported advancing across the junction of Lincoln and Border Lane trenches

Message received- “Every inch of ground is to be contested, and that the absence of trenches is not to influence this in any way – open warfare methods to be adopted if necessary.”

Message of congratulations received from Corps CO. (similar form Division CO at 11.50)

Kings in touch with 11 Bde

Situation quiet

Hostile battery seen N of Arras Rd. 4.5 Howitzers engage

14.11 – 15.40

Front Line and 3rd System heavily shelled.

Essex withdraw to Stuart Camp

30th

03.00 -03.46

Artillery active on both side. Enemy makes several attacks on Bombing stops, driven off

08.00 – 08.50

Enemy barrage on Front Line and lemon Trench. 4 hostile balloons  plus aircraft active.

3rd System Heavily shelled

Line advanced to south to include Broken Mill

Humid-Harry-Chili-Calf-Cadiz manned by enemy

31st

Lancs Fus relieved by Kings

3rd System shelled

1 Coy Essex re-join Lancs Fus who move 1 Coy to Effie Trench

Bridges destroyed: Triple Arch, Fampoux Lock, Battery Valley Railway, Athies (x2)

Bridges at Single Arch and Deoauville Bridge at Fampoux failed to go up due to faulty fuzes.

Casualties for the day: ~60 Officers, ~ 1800 OR

The 4th Division was relieved by the 1st Canadian Division on the 8th/9th April.

4th Division Pre Offensive Maps North Scarpe and South Scarpe

Note that the battalion positions on the maps are colour coded as per the list below

12 Brigade

2 Battalion Essex Regiment

2 Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

1 Battalion Kings Own Royal Lancashires  (Reserve battalion ordered to position shown at 5am)

11 Brigade

1 Battalion Hampshire Regiment

1 Battalion Rifle Brigade

1 Battalion Somerset Light Infantry

(Reserve battalion)

10 Brigade

1 Battalion Seaforths

1 Battalion Royal Warwickshire's

2 Battalion Duke of Wellingtons
(Reserve battalion)

5ab7cca3b522a_NScarpe.jpg.36fbd303e97f7c60a14e32ee388a353c.jpg

5ab7cd4108eb7_SScarpe.jpg.29eacf409fbcbf14ae02bd5ac88a1592.jpg

4th Div Post Maps N Scarpe and S Scarpe

29th March

Colour Coding is the new Front Line

5ab7ce6ea164e_NScarpePost.jpg.0b70d6b018bf2e84c167badb5da55966.jpg

5ab7ce7357656_SScarpePost.jpg.b235791054f6010f5991d330ebd74d01.jpg

15th (Scottish) Division Timeline

Report  by:

DHQ

Time/date

44 Brigade

45 Brigade

46 Brigade

28th

Heavy artillery bombardment on front, support and reserve lines, except on left and centre of 46th Bde. Artillery chiefly gassed.

All (communication) lines to forward units and artillery broken

Bombardment astride the Arras –Cambrai Rd particularly severe.

Bombardment of utmost severity.

Gas projected onto Front Line.

Camerons Left front Coy almost obliterated

Bombardment on 44 Bde front lifted.

Enemy infantry attacked. Centre of the line stood firm but there was little resistance on the flanks. Camerons fell back to Neuville Vitasse Switch

Bombardment on 45 Bde  and 46 Bde fronts lifted.

Enemy attacked and broke through on flanks. Royal Scots withdrew to Kilt Trench where a stand was made.

Royal Scots withdrew to Plaid Trench which was held by Camerons. Forced to retire past Feuchy Chapel

Black Watch forced back in a Northerly direction.

KOSB only lightly engaged.

Support Coy Black Watch in Cromarty Trench, isolated and all officers casualties, forced back to Halifax Trench which was held by their reserve Coy.

8/10 Gordons held Neuville Vitasse Switch with the remains of the 7th Camerons on their left (44Bde).

2 Coys 6th Cameron Hldrs in Dirk Trench S of Cambrai Rd. Then a gap to 2 Coys 6th Cameron Hldrs in shell holes E of Feuchy to Feuchy Chapel Rd along with remnants of the Royal Scots (45Bde).

Black Watch formed defensive flank in touch with KOSB on their left but not in touch on their right.

Cameronians ordered to attack with 2 Coy (later reduced to 1 Coy) to restore the link with the Black Watch.

KOSB right flank threatened by hostiles on Orange Hill.

Black Watch retire to Brown Line (California Trench) with a defensive flank to the KOSB

KOSB Reserve Coy moved forward to form a defensive flank between California and Invergordon trenches.

Attack by Cameronians to E of Feuchy Rd restored the link.

Depot Battalion formed into 3 Coys and deployed in the 2nd Army Line

10.00 to 10.30

KOSB  obliged to fall back to  a line along Pelves Lane, due to withdrawal of 4th Div

Enemy attempts to advance from NW of Monchy were repulsed by KOSB

Enemy occupy Feuchy Chapel Crossroads

6th Cameron Hldrs N of Cambrai Rd driven back to E of Feuchy Rd.

Hldrs S of the Road turn back their left to conform

KOSB withdrawn to form a line down Pelves Lane from Italian Trench to the Feuchy Rd

Enemy continue to press along Cambrai Rd. 44Bde and 45 Bde fell back to Army Line. 46 Bde then withdrew to the Army Line.

Gorden and Cameron fight a rear-guard action and retire fromNeuville Vitasse Switch

Enemy attacked towards Bois de Boeufs(now Bois Poulet) and Tilloy but were driven back by Argylls and Black Watch.

Orders received to retake Neuville Vitasse Switch. This wsa considered to be impractical with the number of men available.

17th Cyclist Battalion moved to Tilloy at the disposal of 15th Div

45 bde and 46Bde advanced from Army Line to form a new line of outposts 400-500yds to the East. 4th Div continued this line North

Outposts in front of the Army Line were just shell holes

1st Canadian Division placed at the disposal of 15th Div

Overnight line reorganised with Camerons and Argyll & Sutherlands in Front(Army) Line and Royal Scots in support.

29th

Quiet night except for Bois des Boeufs at midnight.

Prisoners confirmed heavy losses but thought that another attempt would be made to take Arras.

Very quiet with little hostile shelling.

17th Cyclists Battalion reinforce the brigade

Quiet night. Enemy artillery was fairly quiet.

Enemy troop movements observed seemingly to be effecting a relief. Front now held by all 3 Battalions

Gordon Hldrs relieved by Seaforths

2nd Canadian Battalion deployed to trenches SW of Tilloy

1st and 2nd Canadian Field Artillery deployed.

Gordon Hldrs relieved by 2nd Canadian Inf Battalion.

44Bde relieved by  1st Canadian Inf Bde

30th

17th Cyclists Battalion withdrawn

Quiet dull wet day.

Casualties for the day:

Officers                                                OR

K             W            M            K             W            M

17           42           35           179         977         1067

15th (Scottish) Division Pre & Post Offensive Maps

Note that the battalion positions on the maps are colour coded as per the list below

46 Brigade

7/8 Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers

9 Battalion The Black Watch

10 Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

(In support in Army Lines)

45 Brigade

13 Battalion The Royal Scots
6 Battalion Cameron Highlanders

11 Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

(Reserve battalion. In Army Line South of Tilloy)

44 Brigade

7 Battalion Cameron Highlanders

8/10 Battalion Gordon Highlanders

8 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

(Reserve battalion)

5ab7d1cbdda7b_15thDivPre.jpg.248e477ef44bf6da00da48a812ba7f39.jpg

5ab7d20c9129e_15DivPost.jpg.ba20f6b035b9fed177623f86b46b2851.jpg

Edited by RobertBr
Unwanted Merge. Unable to remove table.

3rd Division Timeline

Report by:

DHQ

76 Brigade

Time/Date

8 Brigade

9 Brigade

28th

76 Bde report considerable shelling of back areas and  gas on Neuville Vitasse and Beaurains

9 Bde report heavy shelling of Mercatel

Massed hostile infantry made a very determined attack but were beaten off with heavy casualties.

A second attack drove back the brigade on the right allowing them to get behind 2 Coys of the Kings, none returned. The enemy also broke through between 2 Coys North Fus. The Left Coy retired down the sunken road. Of the Right Coy, 13 men returned.

KSLI report heavy shelling on front, not so intense to right.

KSLI Enemy broken through line opposite Henin. Counter  attacking with Reserve Coys. (Message reached Bde HQ 09.05)

Suff occupy Mackenzie trench on left flank due to 15th Div withdrawal

KORL report holding reserve line form Cross Roads W of Wancourt to the North Fus.

Reserve Line intact.

KORL report the enemy had broken through the Front (outpost) Line W of Heninel and that they are fighting their way out.

Enemy attack Reserve Line. 1 Coy Royal Fus ordered forward to Reserve Line. Attack beaten off.

2 Platoons Royal Fus moved to SW side of Henin Rd & 2 Platoons to near St Martin sur Cojeul Rd

Right Group RFA report their Howitzers are engaging the enemy who are through the front line W of Heninel and coming down the road to Neuville Vitasse.

KSLI report enemy have penetrated between our two front Coys. Left Support Coy moving forward. Later report by Support Coy that it is the 9th Bde front that has been penetrated.

9 Be report enemy massing W of Heninel

Guards Div on right reporting all’s quiet.

North Fus position in Reserve Line flanked. 1 Coy North Fus retired to Btn HQ where the enemy was held off assisted by a 18pdr barrage.

Right flank of KORL was penetrated with many North Fus moving into the KORL trenches. Formed a defensive flank on the left

76 Bde report Suffolks holding Reserve Line 3rd System, bivovacs along sunken Tillloy – Wancourt Rd. Enemy are behind our lines on  Tillloy – Wancourt Rd.

Suffolks flanked, withdraw from front Line.

76 Bde report enemy advancing in vast numbers on ridge parallel to Cambrai Rd and N of Tillloy – Wancourt Ridge.

Gordons holding Neuville Vitasse Switch and Green Line.

Royal Scots Fus report enemy attacked left Coy but failed to reach our lines suffering heavy losses. Defensive flank will be established along Support Line if required. Unable to get any substantiated information from KSLI

Pioneers (20the KRRC) and 3 Field Companies RE ordered to man Purple Line, if required.

Corps order 97 Inf Bde to Purple Line between Hedicourt Les Ransart and Fisheux. (Cancelled at 13.20)

9 Bde report back on Reserve Line 3rd System. Enemy attacking in force.

KSLI report centre of Front Line is broken.  C Coy is in touch with Royal Scots Fus and their left along the Reserve line which is holding out.

8 Bde report forced back to Reserve Line 3rd System.

Ring of our men are fighting hard around Btn HQ.

One Coy RE and some North Fus forming defensive flank along Hind Trench (along St Martin sur Cojeul to Neuville Vitasse Rd). North Fus in Reserve Line

The enemys fourth attack, just SE of Neuville Vitasse, was against both flanks and the front of the Reserve line. Only about 600yds of the line remained in their hands

9 Bde report 300yd gap in Reseve Line S of Feuchy Chapel. 76 Bde trying to fill

76 Bde report in large numbers NW of Wancourt.

Artillery report troops withdrawing from W of Henin sur Cojeul to road to Mercatel.

76 Bde report Suffolks hold Div Boundary down Wancourt Rd. Gordons hold Neuville Vitasse Switch. KORL in touch with Suffolks. Situation on the right is not clear.

Royal Scots report Royal Scots Fus are fighting arear guard action.

All Royal Scots and KSLI men are being directed back to Sunken Rd W of Green Line where they are being reorganised.

KORL withdraw to Neuville Vitasse Switch covered by rifle fire and bombing.

9 Bde report still holding Reserve Line around Btn HQ.

76 Bde report holding Neuville Vitasse Switch. Large numbers of enemy coming around N of Wancourt

SITRP Royal Scot Fus and KSLI in sunken road (to Mercatel) Front Line now from road SE of Mercatel to E of Mercatel

Guards Div reports enemy massing in Boyelles and Boiry Bequaralle and moving north.

KSLI report position ridge near near crossroads SE Mercatel and sunken road. Enemy in portion of Reserve Line. Have insufficient numbers to counter attack.

Suffolks flanked, withdraw to Army Line. 40 men sent to Neuville Vitasse Switch to support Gordens.

KORL ordered o withdraw to Green Line.

8 Bde report KSLI hold sunken road W of Mercatel turning N towards Neuville Vitasse.

KORL: Intensive hostile barrage laid down on Neuville Vitasse rendering the position untenable.

9 Bde report Kings holding Reserve Line SW of Neuville Vitasse. Left flank faces N.Have fought continuously since dawn.

76 Bde Report 3 Btns holding Neuville Vitasse Switch and Green Line

Pioneers (20the KRRC) and 3 Field Companies RE man the Purple Line

76 Bde ordered to their left flank towards S of Telegraph Hill if possible before dark.

Div ordered retirement form the 3rd System to the Green Line

Brigades ordered to withdraw to Green Line after dark

KORL and Gordens forced out of Neuville Vitasse and the Switch.

Suff hold Green Line N of the Railway. Later reorganised with the Suff holding the left, Gordens the centre and KORL the left.

Orders received to withdraw form Neuville Vitasse Switch after dark.

On receipt of order Suff Btn withdrew, less 129 men required to support the KORL

Kings and North Fus in rear of Green Line. The line being held by the Royal Fus

76 Bde Report right flank has fallen back to the rear of Neuville Vitasse. Order given to re-establish the line.

SITREP Royal Scots holding Green Line. Royal Scots Fus and KSLI have combined (~300 men) in reserve along the line of the sunken road S of Mercatel. Line to be dug from centre Mercatel SSW for 1400 yds 

Disposition Royal Scots will hold the Green Line with 3 Coy and 1 Coy in support. Royal Scots Fus will be in the new line on the right and KSLI on the left.

After dark the Kings withdrew into reserve.

Royal Fus Reserve Coy W of  Neuville Vitasse overnight

2 Bdes and 2 MG Coys 2nd Canadian Division placed under orders of 3rd Div

KORL ordered to withdraw to the old enemy trench system. 46 men remained to man the right flank line of shell holes W of Neuville Vitasse

Situation quiet. Royal Fus digging in W of Neuville Vitasse.

29th

Quiet along whole front

Except for some heavy shelling nothing of note occurred.

Situation quiet.

KORL report heavy bombing and repeated attacks were made throughout the morning by the enemy without success.

Pioneers and Field companies in Purple Line relieved by 2 brigades 2nd Canadians

Suff relieved by 21st Canadian Rgt.

Gordons in shell holes W of Neuville Vitasse supported by KORL

Royal Scots in sunken road in touch with Welsh Guards on right. The new line was not dug as no tools were sent up.

KSLI in touch with Royal Scots Fus on right and Northumb Fus (9 Bde) on left.

67 Bde report Enemy effecting a relief in Neuville Vitasse

76 Bde and 9 Bde report intermittent shelling of support lines.

30th

Weather wet.

Relief of 3rd Division complete

Relief by Canadians

Brigade relieved by 4th & 5th Canadian Brigades

KORL relieved by 2 Btn Canadian Rgt

Gordons relieved  from Neuville Vitasse by 21st Btn Canadian Infantry

3rd Division Pre and Post Offensive Maps

76 Brigade

2 Battalion Suffolk

2 Battalion Kings Own Royal Lancasters

1 Battalion Gordon Highlanders
(Reserve battalion)

9 Brigade

1 Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers
13 Battalion Kings Liverpool

4 Battalion Royal Fusiliers

(Reserve battalion.)

8 Brigade

7 Battalion Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

1 Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers

2 Battalion Royal Scots
(Reserve battalion)

5ab7d710b4943_3DivPre.jpg.8de5e7a5bfa5dc32dd65606111af9962.jpg

5ab7d714870df_3DivPost.jpg.37f138eeab848fc7035a0309c382ae6c.jpg

Finally the Weather reports for 23rd to 31st March 1918.

I just hope that its no worse 100 years later and that the 'Beast from the East ' does not return (is that another name for Mars?)

See you  over there.

Bob

Day

Source

Very cold night.

Weather still very good.

South Bank R Scarpe

Cambrai Rd West of Monchy Le Preux

1 Warwicks

6 Camerons

Cold foggy morning.

Weather still fine.

South Bank R Scarpe

1 Warwicks

6 Camerons

Cold morning.

Weather cold fine.

Weather dull fine.

Rained at night.

South Bank R Scarpe

1000yds south of Camerons/Royal Scots

1 Warwicks

6 Camerons

13 Royal Scots

44 Brigade

Dull day, cold visibility very poor.

Fine day.

South Bank R Scarpe

1 Warwicks

Very wet all night.

Fine day. Wet night.

South Bank R Scarpe

1 Warwicks

45 Brigade

Dull day inclined to be raw.

Rain heavy

South Bank R Scarpe

1 Warwicks

6 Camerons

Dull day sky overcast Very wet night indeed.

Dull and wet

Very wet and stormy night

South Bank R Scarpe

East of Tolloy les Mofflaines

Bretoncourt

1 Warwicks

46 Brigade

CRA 3 Division

Weather improves during day and the sun comes out

South Bank R Scarpe

1 Warwicks

Sources:

1 Battalion Royal Warwickshire’s 10 Brigade 4th Division

6 Battalion Cameron Highlanders 45 Brigade 15th (Scottish) Division

13 Battalion The Royal Scots 45 Brigade 15th (Scottish) Division

44 Brigade 15th (Scottish) Division

45 Brigade 15th (Scottish) Division

46 Brigade 15th (Scottish) Division

I was so pleased to see your recent post. I have only just found this excellent forum!

I have just returned from a family visit to Arras to commemorate the death on March 28th 1918 of my great great uncle Andrew William Johnstone who was a Private in the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. As my late mother and grandmother had no information about this tragic event, I wanted to find out more and put together some information for the family and future generations- so he would never be forgotten.

My online research from the National Archives provided me with a type written report from the War Diary written by Lt Col Gordon of the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. I also downloaded Andrew’s service record.

Whilst in France we took an excellent guided tour. We visited the Arras memorial and saw Andrew’s name on the wall in Bay 5.

With the limited information I had, our guide tried to identify the general area where Andrew died. I wish I had seen your entry before I went. From The War Diary, the local guide identified an area south west of Boyelles. So I was so interested to see the maps on your recent post which seem to place the Ist Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers in an area north west of Boyelles. Unfortunately I couldn’t identify the colours clearly enough to see where the 8th Brigade were positioned.

Could you please clarify the position of the 8th Brigade for me?

Also, as I am having difficulty deciphering Andrew’s Casualty Form , I wonder if you or any others can interpret letters and numbers under the column “Remarks taken from Army Form B213” etc? I am particularly interested to know the details of an injury which (according to my late grandmother) he had not fully recovered from before being sent back to the Front in 1918.

Finally do you have any information about where the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers were between 5.11.16 (when Andrew arrived in France) and 28th March 2018 when he died?

Of course I would be very interested in any other information which might be related to my relative’s experience.

Many thanks.