Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mars Offensive 28th March 1918

RobertBr

169th Brigade 29th March 1918

The actions of the battalions and enemy on and after the 29th March 1918.

Key

Time or + which indicates an event at a later time but before the next actual time

Battalion action Or report

Enemy action or report in italics

1/2nd London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

By this time the line north of DITCH POST had been handed over to 7th Middlesex and the remainder of the front to the south to 8th Middlesex

+

‘B’ & ‘D’ companies move back to the GREEN LINE near the Railway Cutting and came under orders of 167th Brigade.

Battalion HQ and ‘A’ and ‘C’ companies proceeded to BRIERLEY HILL TRENCH under orders of 168th Brigade

Orders received to clear BRIERLEY HILL TRENCH and move to ROUNDHAY CAMP. ‘B’ & ‘D’ companies were already there.

Next day

Battalion moved to ROCLINCOURT WEST CAMP, until 15.00, then St Aubin and the following day to FRASER CAMP at Mont St Eloi.

1/5th London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade)

Relieved by 7th Middlesex and billeted at ROUNDHAY CAMP.

Battalion reorganised into 2 fighting platoons and 1 HQ platoon

Next day 09.00

Battalion marched to St Aubin where 400(390) reinforcements joined

Moved to Mont St Eloi and billeted in LE PENDU CAMP

1/16th London Regiment (Queen’s Westminster Rifles)

Relieved by 8th Middlesex

Withdrew to ROUNDHAY CAMP

Reorganised into 2 Companies

Next day 09.00 to 10.45

Moved to St Aubin

Draft of 321 Other Ranks joined the Battalion

Moved to OTTAWA CAMP Mont St Eloi.

168th Brigade 29th March 1918

The actions of the battalions and enemy on and after the 29th March 1918.

Key

Time or + which indicates an event at a later time but before the next actual time

1/13th London Regiment (Kensington’s)

Morning

Patrols watch ‘No Man’s Land’. Much ammunition brought back from the dugouts in RAILWAY TRENCH

Noon

‘D’ Company 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles chased enemy party down TOMMY ALLEY as far as ARLEUX LOOP

Enemy patrols more active.

Platoon in TIRED ALLEY chased small enemy patrol back into ARLEUX.

Platoon in TIRED ALLEY again chased small enemy patrol back into ARLEUX.

Patrols on the ARLEUX ROAD reported that no enemy had been seen in the open up to

Patrols on the ARLEUX ROAD reported that no enemy had been seen in the open up to that time

About 20 enemy with Machine Gun establish themselves in the Gun Pits at B.5.d.2.5

Night

Patrols active to midnight as far east as RAILWAY TRENCH reported that the enemy were not attempting to move West of ARLEUX LOOP

Enemy quiet except for slight harassing fire on the junction of the RED LINE and C.Ts.

Battalion relieved by 75th Canadian Battalion and marched to Mont St Eloy.

1/14th London Regiment (London Scottish)[

01.30 to 02.30

BAILLEUL EAST POST heavily shelled

morning

Large numbers of German infantry in their forward trenches were spotted and bombarded by Allied artillery.

+

An attack was anticipated but it was a

relatively quiet day

BAILLEUL EAST POST, OUSE ALLEY and TOMMY ALLEY intermittently shelled throughout the day

night

Relieved by 54th Canadians and moved to Durham(Lancaster?) Camp near Mont St Eloi.

1/4th London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

+

In Brigade support

Relieved by 87th Canadians (4th Canadian Division)

167th Brigade 29th March 1918

The actions of the battalion and enemy on and after the 29th March 1918.

Key

1/7th Middlesex Regiment

Relief in RED LINE complete

‘A’ Company:

1 platoon in BLOOMSBURY POST

1 platoon BAILLEUL POST to Battalion HQ

‘C’ Company:

BAILLEUL POST to junction with ‘B’ Company

‘B’ Company:

BAILLEUL EAST POST exclusive to junction with C Company

Enemy reported massing in MARINE, TYNE and NORTH TYNE

Next Day 04.25

Relieved by 85th Canadians

1/8th Middlesex Regiment

Battalion relieved Queen's Westminster Regiment in front line (RED LINE).

‘D’ Company: Southern division boundary to TOWY ALLEY exclusive.

‘A’ Company: TOWY ALLEY inclusive to THAMES ALLEY exclusive.

‘B’ Company: THAMES ALLEY inclusive to South BAILLEUL POST

‘C’ Company: NORTHUMBERLAND AVENUE in support.

Battalion H.Q at DITCH POST

Next day 03.30

Battalion relieved by the 72nd Canadian Regiment

1/1st London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

+

B’ company moved to RAILWAY POST

‘C’ Company moved to BROWN LINE B.27.6 ?

‘A’ Company moved to POINT DE JOUR

Next day

Relieved by 38th and 72nd Canadians

Field Artillery Summary on and after the 29th March 1918

The actions of the artillery brigades and enemy on and after the 29th March 1918.

Key

281Brigade RFA

00.00(29th March)

Left Group becomes Sub-Group to 4 C.F.A. Brigade

00.00 (31st March)

Left Group becomes superimposed on line directly under 4 Canadian Div Artillery

280 Brigade RFA

(29th March)

Brigade continued in action under the Canadians!!!

(30th March)

Relieved by 3rd Canadians

+

3 guns of A/280 were destroyed.

2 guns were disabled and abandoned at Arleux.

Expenditure: 11,000 rounds (18 pounders), 3,000 rounds (4.5” Howitzer)

52nd Brigade AFA War Diary

(30th March)

Major SH Doake commanding D/52 killed in action

122 & half C/52 attached to 56 DA came under orders from the 52 Brigade HQ again

(31st March)

Situation unchanged. One section from one Battery is detached to a flank position; this section does all the harassing fire for the Brigade.

4th Division Canadian Field Artillery

(Overnight 29th/30th)

The 4th Canadian Divisional artillery came into action reinforcing the 56th Divisional Artillery, who remain in.

Fairly heavy hostile artillery fire throughout the night principally in harassing fire on roads and approaches

07.00 to 09.00 (30th March )

Heavy bombardment of our trenches, but no infantry action followed.

+

4th Brigade CFA at Maison Blanche

The brigade came into action without casualties. The enemy were expected to attack, but nothing unusual happened.

The weather changed rain fell most of the day

+

11th Canadian Infantry Brigade took over from 168th Brigade.

12th Canadian Infantry Brigade took over from 169th Brigade.

10th Canadian Infantry Brigade in reserve.

All day

Our artillery was very active against targets of opportunity, especially in and around Oppy and Gavrelle

Artillery was intermittently active against our trenches and back areas.

Next Day

Reinforced by 5th Canadian Divisional Artillery, 56th Divisional Artillery remain in along with 16th, 50th and 83rd Brigades RGA.

The 56th division records that on 28th/29th March:-

12 x 18 pounders were destroyed by enemy fire.

2 x 18 pounders were destroyed and abandoned in Arleux.

All 6 x 6” mortars were lost. Only two were manned, there crews were captured.

Ammunition expended from early morning on 28th to early morning on 29th:

23,000 rounds x 18 pounder (ie 511 rounds per gun)

8000 rounds x 4.5 howitzer (ie 666 rounds per gun)

The Artillery were later (evening /overnight) withdrawn battery by battery, except for two batteries, to an average of 3,600 yds (ie ~ half full range) from the new front.

The 281st Brigade War Diary records the following honours were awarded for operations on the day:

Military Cross: Lt A.C.W. Fisken, Lt E.P. Hudson

DCM: Cpl (Acting Serjt) Copus

MM: x 5

Casualties reported subsequent to 28th March 1918

169th Brigade.

1/5th London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade)

Officers: 1 Killed, 2 wounded, 12 missing (1 from 9th London, 1 from 10th London, 2 from 21st London, 1 from 7th Middlesex)

Other Ranks: 17 Killed, 175 wounded

1/16th London Regiment (Queen’s Westminster Rifles)

Other Ranks: 1 wounded, 1 sick, 12 reinforcements

168th Brigade.

1/13th London Regiment (Kensington’s)

Other Ranks: 5 Killed, 11 Wounded, 3 Missing

1/14th London Regiment (London Scottish)[

Casualties 54

1/4th London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

Officers: 2 Killed, 3 Wounded, 1 Wounded & Missing, 4 Missing

Other Ranks: 15 Killed, 43 Wounded; 12 Wounded & Missing, 156 Other Ranks Missing

167th Brigade.

1/7th Middlesex Regiment

Other Ranks: 8 wounded

1/8th Middlesex Regiment

Officers: 1 wounded

Other Ranks: 6 wounded

56th Division.

Total casualties during the offensive:

Officers: 55

Other Ranks: 1433

Casualties

The 56th Division was supported by the 2/1, 2/1 and 2/3 London filed Ambulances.

The 2/1 Field Ambulance was based in St Catherines (G.15.a.40.35) on the northern outskirts of Arras.

On 28th March it reported

14 officers, 360 OR admitted.

14 officers, 327 OR wounded.

13 officers, 327 OR to Casualty Clearing Station.

10 officers, 7 OR died.

and on 28th March

2 officers, 95 OR wounded.

4 officers, 153 OR to Casualty Clearing Station.

There is more information on the medical services and an excellent report on 2/2 & 2/3 London Field Ambulance

Bob

A few snippets

Sergeant Frank Udall (4th Royal Fusiliers):

"So we knew it was coming and when. So Jerry started his bombardment with big trench mortars. But our artillery is opening up, I can tell you! Of course our forward posts went. The idea was to get at least 80 yards back from the line we were in, so that he can reach with his own grenades. 11 a.m. we were completely cut off we had no gunfire, except that two machine guns. The big guns were firing ahead of us, they really done good work. We had to go back-we had no choice. But the Germans only got 300 yards. I honestly believe it was the turning point of the war. I honestly do believe that. We retired across open ground to the Canadians on left."

Rifleman A. Smith of the 5th Battalion London Rifle Brigade was carrying ammunition to the front. There were just about 90 troops of the battalion left in the front line; a sergeant said "it's the finest day in the history of the regiment".

Lieutenant G. J. Palfrey 93rd Battery of 280 Brigade RFA. Commanding a section (2 x 18 pdr) well forward near Arleux. His guns were exposed but enfilade the German positions. Despite of the artillery fire, the forward infantry positions were overwhelmed and, after stubborn and gallant defence, they fell back. Ordered to fire of all ammunition, destroy his guns and withdraw he poured his fire into the attacking Germans as they closed right up to him; indeed, the British defensive barrage, creeping back, was also on him. With rounds in the muzzles and bores, the guns were shattered and the gallant Palfrey, bringing his wounded, his breech blocks and sights with him, fought his way through Germans (who by now had passed him) back to join the infantry.

Brigadier General Elkington. Commander RA 56th Division

Until about 3 p.m. many excellent targets in the open were engaged by both field and heavy artillery with great effect. Only a few guns could be used to this purpose only near to the limited number available; many were being used for the immediate protection of the infantry.

Six replacement guns were sent up on the 28th but they were 15-pounder's for which we had no ammunition.

this was the best action fought by the 56th Division

(NB The divisional artillery stayed in position until 7th/8th April when it moved to Agny, still in the line)

Lt Col Jervis. 56th Battalion Machine Gun Corps

…the complete mastery of the air which the enemy had all day

“On the German side, Arras was the actual rock on which their plan broke” (Liddell Hart)

Two LRB CSMS were captured on 28th; this is one of them

‘It happened early on the morning of March 28th 1918. The Hun having strafed Mill post which was held by B Company 1st LRB to Hell overran it and took the survivors prisoner.

Company HQ was in a very deep dug-out, and therein O.C. Company, C.S.M. etc., were busily engaged in destroying all the mass of papers, maps and so on which accumulate in all company HQ’s, whether at home or overseas, whilst a rifleman who could speak German was holding converse with a Feldwebel who was apparently unwilling to come down into the dug-out and round up his captives. However, after a while he must have come to the conclusion that the LRB were trustworthy and honest, for he came down, and proved to be a good type of ‘front line‘ soldier. Then the CSM (as will all good C.S.M.s) produced a jar of rum, and pouring out a mug full, offered it to Herr Feldwebel, (first taking a swig himself to show it was not poisoned), who knocked it back in one. Having got back his breath he pronounced it ‘sehr goot‘, and was not backwards in accepting a refill, in fact many refills, which in the end proved that the Demon Rum can overcome the Hun as well as the British Army. Herr Feldwebel having passed right out, and orders having been received from the Hun to come up out of it, the question arose as what to do with the ‘corpse’. It was decided to put him to bed and leave him, so he was gently (?) laid on a bunk and tucked in with blankets and left, whilst his hosts departed to enjoy ( ?) the hospitality of the Hun for a period.’

Published in the LRB Record 1948

Why am I so interested in the Mars Offensive?

This is an extract from my Grandfathers diary for 1918.

16 March

Wagon Lines

17 March

On the Gun

18 March

On the Gun

21 March

Lively A.A (?)

22 March

Zip (?) of Night

24 March

Plenty doing Caught a G(as) B(arrage)

28 March

Heavy Gas Attack

29 March (Good Friday)

Hospital (due to gas)

30 March

Etaples

31 March (Easter Sunday)

Bound for England. London 6pm

1 April

Warrington Hospital 1 am

169149 Gunner Henry(Nelson) Townsend MM returned to his unit, D/281st Brigade RFA, on 20th September near Monchy Le Preux. On 11/11/18 he was at Quevy Le Petit just south of Mons. He served in the army of occupation, at Germund, and was finally demobbed on 29th September 1919.

This is the last of my planned posts, although I expect there will be a few additions on my return from Arras.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am back form Arras. I have lots of photos of empty muddy fields, which were once the posts of the 56th Division.

I visited Anzin St Aubin cemetery where I new that a member of my Grandfathers brigade was buried.

Looking through the cemetery records I identified about 15 - 18 men (I wish I had made a proper count) from his brigade, that were killed on 28 March 1918. Of these the records identified the batteries of about 12 to 14. All but one of those came from the 109th Battery!

The 281st RFA War Diary has a one line entry: "06.20 - 109 suffer casualties"

Still to put this in perspective I went on to the cemeteries next to Maison Blanche Post. The British cemetery probably had less than 200 graves, the German cemetery held nearly 32000.

A more than worthwhile visit, especially due to the kindness of local farmers from Farbus who invited me in for coffee and took a great interest in a battle they knew nothing about!

The end.

Bob

Bob,

I have confirmed that there were 55 members of the QWR killed on the 28th March. I have their names and intend to do some follow-up research. Hopefully there will be something to report on the forum in due course.

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Great posting

I hope that this German trench map showing positions as March 1918 is of interest

I will search for more from around that time

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1208016063.jpg

Hello Bob

I have found these 1918 maps that show the posts

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1208026273.jpg

....and another showing the posts near to Oppy

post-10939-1208026388.jpg

.....and of course the post around Gavrelle

post-10939-1208204159.jpg

This is a photo of the modern map I prepared for my recent visit to the battlefield.

It shows the posts and lines as of 6am on 28th March 1918.

post-11115-1208211561.jpg

I would draw your attentions to another thread on the Arras Gavrelle battlefield of 1917 by Havrincourt. It includes photos of the post positions.

Bob

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

Just joined the board and nowhere near as knowledgeable as you guys on this topic. However, my uncle Sgt J McPartlin of the 1/5 London (LRB) was wounded and taken prisoner in the action on March 27/28th. Though he was repatriated after the war, he succumbed to his injuries in 1923. From the research I've done, it seems as an LRB soldier, the chances are he would have been in Mill Post when it was overrun. However, he could have been at Gavrelle, Bird or Bradford as well according to the details I've seen. Am I right in assuming this? Also, if I wanted to identify the site of these posts on a visit, what would you recommend as a plan?

Thanks for the discussion: as has been noted, this engagement doesn't receive a lot of attention.

SMcP

Hi Sean

You are quite right; "The 1st Battalion was responsible for an unusually long stretch of line as troops were pulled back shortly before the attack. This necessitated the LRB holding three of the posts instead of one, leaving few men in reserve. At 4 a.m. on 28 March, ‘B’ Company held Mill Post, ‘C’ held Bradford Post, ‘D’ Bird Post and ‘A’ was deployed in Tyne Alley." Odds are he was in Mill Post but maybe you can identify his Company?

I believe about 300 LRB ranks were captured at Gavrelle and also believe I have identified most of them including your uncle 10538/304011; who was originally in the 8th Londons, Post Office Rifles

France 23.6.16; joined LRB on 11.7.16 like so many other reinforcements after the LRB's losses at Gommecourt.

Chris

Chris, You're right - thanks for that. Strangely comforting for someone else to have looked him up! Don't know his company so guess I will have to visit al those posts. By the way, where do you find info on those captured. I have a postcard sent to my grandparents from Joe when he was recovering from wounds in the POW camp but the German stamp is hard to decipher.

Thanks again for your reply

Sean

Hi Sean

You are quite right; "The 1st Battalion was responsible for an unusually long stretch of line as troops were pulled back shortly before the attack. This necessitated the LRB holding three of the posts instead of one, leaving few men in reserve. At 4 a.m. on 28 March, ‘B’ Company held Mill Post, ‘C’ held Bradford Post, ‘D’ Bird Post and ‘A’ was deployed in Tyne Alley." Odds are he was in Mill Post but maybe you can identify his Company?

I believe about 300 LRB ranks were captured at Gavrelle and also believe I have identified most of them including your uncle 10538/304011; who was originally in the 8th Londons, Post Office Rifles

France 23.6.16; joined LRB on 11.7.16 like so many other reinforcements after the LRB's losses at Gommecourt.

Chris

sean

my grandfather was 1/5th london; have ben researching the regiment for some years nows including building a nominal roll - currently standing at about 9000 me; much of the detailed info has come from the medal rolls

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sounds like a real labour of love. I wonder how amazed the men of the LRB would have been to know how closely we would be following their footsteps nearly a century later! Am looking forward to finding out much more with the folk on this board.

Sean

sean

my grandfather was 1/5th london; have ben researching the regiment for some years nows including building a nominal roll - currently standing at about 9000 me; much of the detailed info has come from the medal rolls

Chris

• 4 months later...

Earlier this month I visited the Cheshire Regiments Museum in Chester. Their very helpful, but very busy, researcher provided me with some extracts from the 1/5th Cheshire Regiments (Pioneers) War History.

This has enabled me to identify three more posts in the area (Chester, Spur and Farbus) and the initial positions of the Cheshire's on that day.

I have updated Posts #4 and #6 to reflect this new information.

I also obtained a map showing the railway system that was in use in the area in the first quarter of 1918.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

"...an oft forgotten battle" indeed!

On March 27th a hastily formed unit named "Odlum"s Composite Brigade" was put together under Brig. Gen. Victor Odlum. 11th Bde. 1st Army. The brigade was composed of five Canadian Battalions pulled from regular rotation in the Lens sector consisting of the 47th Bn., 54th BN., 72nd Bn. (Seaforth Highlanders) 75th BN and 85th BN. (Nova Scotia Highlanders). they were force marched to the Oppy/Gavrelle sectors and went into the line 29/30th March.

The 75th relieved the 1/13 London Rg. (Kensingtons), 72nd relieved 1/8 Middlesex and the 85th relieved 1/7 Middlesex with the 54th in support and the 47th in reserve.

Although the expected German attack of March 30th did not materialize, the three front line battalions took casualties from heavy artillary bombardment.

Now....from the Official History of the Canadian Army in The First World War, "Canadian Expeditionary Force 1913-1919" by Col. G.W.L.Nicholson C.D...

While part of the First Army front also was bombarded as a deception, in general the Lens-Méricourt sector held by the Canadians escaped attention.

In respect to the Canadian Army, it seems totally forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...
sean

Chris

Hi,

Just got word via CICR confirming my uncle was in D Coy LRB, which I hadn't known. Thus he was at Bird Post when wounded and captured on March 28th. Also further confirmation of what I knew that he was in Friedrichsfeld POW camp. Any particular info/pics on either these sites welcomed.

Cheers

Sean

• 4 years later...

Hi, I have a friend over there at the moment doing some wargraves stuff. He is trying to locate the site of Roundhay Camp as the man he is researching was killed at the Gavrelle Post 3 days before (25th). Any one know of the Camps location on a map etc?

I do not have the location of Roundhay Camp but have found a reference to two companies of 1/2 Londons (Royal Fusiliers) who moved to just East of Point du Jour on 29th and then later that day withdrew to Roundhay Camp and the next day moved to"St Aubin".

However another two companies were just to the North West of Bailleul-Sire Bertholt. They may have withdrew towards Roclincourt

So that may narrow down the area.

I have marked Point du Jour on the map and St Aubin is almost certainly Anzin-St Aubin.

Bob

post-11115-0-07092000-1374529376_thumb.j