Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Brought to notice of Sec. of State ... for valuable nursing

Bairbre

In the WAR RECORD OF THE ST JOHN AMBULANCE BRIGADE AND BRITISH RED CROSS SOCIETY IN LEINSTER, MUNSTER AND CONNAUGHT 1914-1918, I came across a reference that three VADs, H. O'Reilly, Mary F.S. Letts and E. Lemass, had been 'brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War by the Chairman of the Joint War Committee for valuable nursing services rendered in connection with the War'. These three people worked in Linden Auxiliary Hospital, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

Would this document of notification be available anywhere?

Many thanks

Bairbre

In the WAR RECORD OF THE ST JOHN AMBULANCE BRIGADE AND BRITISH RED CROSS SOCIETY IN LEINSTER, MUNSTER AND CONNAUGHT 1914-1918, I came across a reference that three VADs, H. O'Reilly, Mary F.S. Letts and E. Lemass, had been 'brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War by the Chairman of the Joint War Committee for valuable nursing services rendered in connection with the War'. These three people worked in Linden Auxiliary Hospital, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

Would this document of notification be available anywhere?

Many thanks

Bairbre

I'm not sure that there is the equivalent of a citation. I think these awards were in the nature of a mention in despatches, but of a lesser degree, and no emblem was awarded. I had a Memorial Cross to a member of my grandfather's C.A.S.C. unit who was serving in Records, and was similarly "brought to the attention".

This may be a Class B mention. If so, they are listed in The Times.