The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

104th Wellesley Rifles Indian Army

asdarley

I am interested in a Captain James Chadwick who served with the 104th Wellesley Rifles and was KIA at the Battle of Shaiba. I don't know much ( anything!) about the Indian Army...but wonder if units kept war diaries like UK regiments?

If they did, then where are these documents likely to be found? I have tried searching WO archives on line but I draw a blank.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Edorc

There are a few records at Kew,none as yet found for 104 Wellesley Rifles. This unit's parent operation was called Indian Expeditionary Force D and the 104th were part of 16th (Poona)Infantry Brigade.

I have found a series of papers on the IEFD in the Catalogue. They begin at WO158/663A and 663B and run through to 680. All are operations files for the various aspects of their Mespot campaign. I found no WO95 specifically for the 104th but you might like to search from 1 Indian Division (around about WO95/5400 forward) as this is a series of Diaries for the Indian Army units.

Also the LLT has a page or two (of course it does):

http://www.1914-1918.net/iefd.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/Poona_div.htm

Good luck with the search.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks for the info on the WO papers I shall take that further! Have used the LLT of course :) But I would like a detailed description of the 104ths actions in the battle. The search continues ....

E

Not on the CWGC then ? I take it this was the April 1915 battle ?

I just saw a ref to 6th Rajputana Rifles (Wellesley's) who were also in 16th (Poona) Brigade but still no WO95 for them either !

Sotonmate

Sotonmate...Yes its the April battle 1915

Roop! You are a star!! The second link you gave should be the one! Have now ordered the docs and am hoping its money well spent!!