Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Welsh Regiment

NeilEvans

Hi All

I was wondering if anybody could help me.

What i would like to know is: (12th Welsh Regiment)

The dates the Btn was active?

Was it a Training Btn

Was the Btn based at Kinmel?

Did the Btn under go any significant change around April-July 1916?

I'm also looking for photographs of Nco's of the Battalion.

To be honest any information regarding the Battalion would be gratefull recieved.

Many Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

The 12th Battalion Welsh were raised at Cardiff on 23rd October 1914 as a service battalion of K4 and became part of 104th Brigade of the original 35th Division. They became a 2nd Reserve Battalion on 10th April 1915 and moved to Kimnel Park in the 13th Reserve Brigade. On 1st September 1916 they became 58th Training Reserve Battalion in 13th Reserve Brigade and thus lost it's connection with the Welsh Regiment.

cheers, Jon

Hi Neil,

The 12th Battalion Welsh were raised at Cardiff on 23rd October 1914 as a service battalion of K4 and became part of 104th Brigade of the original 35th Division. They became a 2nd Reserve Battalion on 10th April 1915 and moved to Kimnel Park in the 13th Reserve Brigade. On 1st September 1916 they became 58th Training Reserve Battalion in 13th Reserve Brigade and thus lost it's connection with the Welsh Regiment.

cheers, Jon

thanks Jon

that confirms my thoughts about Kimel.

• 4 years later...

HI All,

This is my first post and I appreciate this is quite an old thread, but fits with my area of interest and I might be able to shed some interesting info on the 12th Welsh as well as opening some discussion, since I would like to fill in a few gaps in my understanding on what the 12th got up to. My grandfather William Andrew Beddows was a 2nd Lt in the 12th Welsh. A notice dated 4th August 1915 in the London Gazette seems to confirm this. However from his medal record, along with letters and post cards written in 1916 that we have, it is apparent that he served in France and was wounded in July 1916. From the letters it appears that he entered France as part of his Battalion that was then later attached to the 114th Division. (The address for his parents to send letters/parcels). My father always told me he was wounded at Mametz Wood and the dates seem to be correct. I am intrigued that the 12th Welsh never seem to get a mention other that the Battalion service record that has been copied into this topic from the welsh regiment website which seems to suggest they spent most of their days in 1915 /16 at Kinmel Park. I am interested to know if anyone else has knowledge of the 12th Battalion involvement at Mametz, or generally on the front, or if he wasn't in the 12th at the time then how did he get there. Did people transfer from Battalions? His medal record card just says that he was in the Welch Regiment and entered the theatre of war on 19th April 1916.

Many Thanks,

Martin

HI All,

This is my first post and I appreciate this is quite an old thread, but fits with my area of interest and I might be able to shed some interesting info on the 12th Welsh as well as opening some discussion, since I would like to fill in a few gaps in my understanding on what the 12th got up to. My grandfather William Andrew Beddows was a 2nd Lt in the 12th Welsh. A notice dated 4th August 1915 in the London Gazette seems to confirm this. However from his medal record, along with letters and post cards written in 1916 that we have, it is apparent that he served in France and was wounded in July 1916. From the letters it appears that he entered France as part of his Battalion that was then later attached to the 114th Division. (The address for his parents to send letters/parcels). My father always told me he was wounded at Mametz Wood and the dates seem to be correct. I am intrigued that the 12th Welsh never seem to get a mention other that the Battalion service record that has been copied into this topic from the welsh regiment website which seems to suggest they spent most of their days in 1915 /16 at Kinmel Park. I am interested to know if anyone else has knowledge of the 12th Battalion involvement at Mametz, or generally on the front, or if he wasn't in the 12th at the time then how did he get there. Did people transfer from Battalions? His medal record card just says that he was in the Welch Regiment and entered the theatre of war on 19th April 1916.

Many Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin,

He most probably after training was transferred where needed most within any of the sister regiments. As you mentioned Mametz wood he was most probably attached to one of the Welsh regiments that formed the 114th Brigade in 38th Welsh Division. These were the following:-

The 10th, 13th, 14th & 15th (Service) Btns Welsh Regiment

Regards

Will Davies

Will,

Many thanks for reply. This would seem to make semse. From his letters he seems to have arrived without knowing to whom he would be attached as part of the BEF (British Expeditionary Force?) which is address on the early letters. Do you think his army records would shed more light on this? I have tracked thiem down at the National Archives, but they want a not inconsiderable sum to copy them. I think it will have to wait until I am in London for other reasons to visit the NA to lokk at them.

He was one of the lucky ones to get out as one of the wounded. The letters provide a fascinating insite into the day to day life in the trenches. One day I would like to take the chance to visit Mametz Wood and take in the atmosphere. Strange to think that if the shapnel or bullet had been directed on the slightly different trajectory then I would not be here to write this. A sobering thought.

best regards,

Martin

Martin

William Andrew Beddows served with 14th Battalion Welsh Regiment in France.

To France 19.4.16.

He is listed in the University of Wales (Aberystwyth) Roll of Service with the Colours, with prior service in the Aberystwyth O.T.C.

Served at home with12th (Reserve) Bn Welsh Regiment. & in France with14th (Swansea) (Service) Battalion Welsh Regiment.

He was commissioned : T/2Lt: 23.7.15: Promoted Lt. (in 14th Bn.) 1.7.17.

T/Lt. W.A.Beddows relinquished his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service, 21.12.17., and retained the rank of Lt. He was awarded Silver War Badge No. 290,696, which was sent to 6 Rheidol Terrace Aberystwyth.

He received the British War Medal and the Victory Medal BWM & VM (2Lt.). Eligible for Silver War Badge. Address for despatch of medals: Buckingham House, Wellington St., Cheltenham.

Hope that gives you some more clues.

Dave

I haven't come across this man but my records re not complete. Pretty certain he doesn't get a mention in 'Swansea Pals' but can't check as the grandkids are sleeping in my 'study', the desk having been temporarily dismantled to make room for them!

Bernard

Martin,

If you go to Mametz Wood ( I did September 2011) you may find the "atmosphere" very significant. I dont know if it was the weather ( beautiful and warm for early September ) .. or the apparent peace and tranquility- it was very quiet. We saw several wild animals on that day. If you are standing at the Welsh Dragon memorial; looking towards the wood- A mottled coloured Owl flew right down the centre of the field from the right side ( direction of the cemetery) in broad daylight. I have never seen anything similar before. it seemed to me to be a demarcation line being drawn.

Regards, Geoffrey

We did not go in . It was a fascinating day.My grandfathers were both there or thereabouts.

Thanks to everyone for their information. It's filled in some gaps on his service record. Next step for me is to do some reading around the battle and then read all his letters again in more detail. I am now the proud possesser of the medals mentioned by Dave.

By the time I was old enough to talk with my grandfather he was sadly not in the best of health, but based on my fathers knowledge I get the impression it was not something he wanted to talk about much. The phsycological effect on anyone put into that environment must have been immense. With the 100th anniversary coming up this could be opportune time for a visit.

kind regards,

Martin