Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Should all KIA be listed on CWGC?

Taters

HI All

Should all soldiers Killed in Action be listed with Commonwelath Graves Commission? If not why not?

I have a MIC with KIA on but no listing on CWGC?

Thanks

Hi Taters,

yes they should, but as you search through the forum there are plenty of posts regarding new commemorations. I thik some are simply missed. What's the fellas name?

cheers, Jon

Hi Jon

Its Victor F(rederick) HEWSON - MIC says Yorks & Lancs 21022 - KiA 29th Octo 1915.

Thanks

VF Newton on CWGC

Stuart

Taters

His listing in the GRO Overseas Deaths Index is as Hewson.

If you obtain the Certificate, we can submit it on your behalf to CWGC as the evidence for them to change their records. The GRO reference number is quite feint but I think it is I.42.63. You can order the certificate online.

If it's OK with you, I'm asking a moderator to move the thread to the "possible non-commemorations" section, where we can probably deal with it better.

John

There is a Victor Frank Hewson born King's Lynn, registered in the last quarter of 1889. Not sure if the following has anything to do with the confusion or how it would have arisen, but there is a Victor Frederick E Newton registered in the 2nd qtr 1892, West Ham. Just searched the MICs and found that VFE Newton served as Gunner 1375/881572, Royal Field Artillery.

Stuart

There is a Victor F. Hewson marrying a Mary J. Fetch in Sep Qtr 1912 in Sheffield with the following children's births registered with mother's maiden name as Fetch:

Minnie Hewson b 1912

Marie Hewson b 1913

Anna E Hewson b 1914

Victor F Hewson b 1915

All Registered in Sheffield which would tie in with a place of enlistment of Attercliffe, Sheffield

Pam

Hi Everyone that responded - thanks!

I mistakenly said in my post that I thought my man was Victor Frederick - but have checked - it is infact Victor Frank HEWSON bn Kings Lynn 1889. So looks like this is defeitely the chap I'm intersted in.

The references that people have found to NEWTON seems to have the same service number - so definitly looks like a mistake at CWGC?

Am just going to double check that Victor Frank HEWSON is definitley my relative - if so I will get the death certificate and submit it as suggested to CWGC. I assume from the suggestion that they my change the entry?

Would there be a grave with a name on? Would that get changed too?

Anyway - many thanks to you all for replying - between you all you seem to have nailed this query.

Taters

Would there be a grave with a name on? Would that get changed too?

I see he's commemorated on a special memorial at Twelve Trees Copse Cemetery. I think it's a memorial to men believed to be buried somewhere in the cemetery but the exact grave locations are unknown.

What will happen is that the Commission would change the online entry quite quickly (although it can take several months for this to happen). The actual memorial panel would only get changed as & when it was ready for replacement (so it could be many years).

John

Hi John

Thanks for that.

I'll order the DC tonight - it doesnt really matter whether he's my relative or not - he deserves his name on a memorial (Although I think he probably is my man).

Is the ordering the same as ordinary DC's?

Where do I find the overseas deaths - I can't find them on Ancestry.

Thanks

Hi Taters,

Ancestry does not have this set of indexes. Findmypast does. They are also available on CD.

Your details are:

Hewson Victor F, Pte, 21022, Y. & L.R. 1915 Volume I.42 Page 63? 65?

Unfortunately the image on the CD for the page is unclear and I cannot be certain of the page number.

Findmypast may be more clear for the page number.

Doug

Hi Doug

I've checked it on findmypast - it looks like a 63 at the end rather than 65 so am going to order.

Thanks to everyone for their help

Taters