Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier Settlement - British Nurses

Selena

Were British Nurses (army nurses) eligible to apply for land in Britain after World War 1? If so, what Act of Parliament included them. Australian Nurses were included in an amendment to our Repatration Act of 1917 and were listed here under broad term of "soldier".

Selena

I've never been aware that any women were included in any of the Land Settlement Acts - I think the final one was the Land Settlement (Facilities) Act of 1919. Compared to Australia, the UK had a minute amount of land, and rather a lot of soldiers, so allocating land was always going to be a difficult affair. I don't know much about land settlement, but I seem to recall that even the men were expected to be previously experienced in farming or small-holding to have any chance of being considered for land, and other men would only be considered for employment on such land, not as tenants/owners.

As nurses had a profession, and were rather numerous, I don't imagine that they would have been considered, or even that there would have been many who would have been interested in a change to small-holding. There was some discussion in Parliament in 1915 that the mass emigration of women should be considered after the war, to make more jobs for men - I think that says it all really!

Sue