Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4/5 KOYLI

jones.y.lion

My uncle, Signaler Pt. Arnold Broomhead [41157 if my memory is correct], served in this battalion. I would be interested in any information regarding where the battalion faught. At some time during his service he was awarded the DCM.

I also have a group photograph which I presume is of his battalion before leaving England, this may be of interest to others.

RAJ

Welcome to the Forum !

I can't find a 4/5 KOYLI ! There was a 1/5 a 2/5 (both served overseas) and a 3/5 (which didn't). See this from the Long Long Trail:

http://www.1914-1918.net/koyli.htm

Do you have any papers you can check ? Then if we can get the right Battalion we can help you create a picture of your uncle's service.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

PS He has a Medal Index card in WO372/3 at Kew Archives. The microfilm image number is 577595/4102 and you can download it for 3.50. You can then trace a date into a theatre of war,and the ref numbers of the original medal rolls which will confirm or assist in the Battalion(s)he served in.

Slip of the finger, how I managed to put 4/5 is a mystery, 2/5 is his corect battalion.

I'm amazed at recieving an answer so quickly. I'll follow up your recomendation.

Grateful thanks.

RAJ

Another page from the LLT then:

http://www.1914-1918.net/62div.htm

This lists the goings on of the Battalions/Brigades within the 62nd Division,where your man resided.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks again Sotonmate. I've downloaded Arnolds record from Kew.

I also have a collection of his letters home, I'm not good on handwriting but the bits I have deciphered are interesting as a social record of his capers, letter censorship restricted what could be said in correspondance. Uncle Arnold was the only member of Mums family I could find any affection for, he was one of the best people I have known.

At home I have three photographs on the wall. Our daughter asked 'When was the picture of Aaron taken in uniform?' Two of the photos are of her brother, the other is of Arnold, the likeness is striking.

RAJ

RAJ

theres a book "Saturday Soldiers" which deals with history of the TF Batts of KOYLI by Malcolm Johnson its available from the KOYLI Museum at Doncaster

Ady

Thanks Ady, I will pay a visit to the KOYLI Museum later in the year and take some of Arnolds doccuments for them to see. We live in Anglesea so it's quite a trip, but we have a camper van, it keeps down the costs. I am looking forward to visiting and finding out more about Arnold and his service career.

RAJ

• 4 years later...
Guest marting

dalziel8

Hi Raj,

I understand you have photo of the 2/5 KOYLI's before they left UK . I would love to see this picture as my grandfather was part of this battalion.

Thanks

Slip of the finger, how I managed to put 4/5 is a mystery, 2/5 is his corect battalion.

I'm amazed at recieving an answer so quickly. I'll follow up your recomendation.

Grateful thanks.