Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sat Nav - finding cemeteries

John_Hartley

If you go to this site here: Sat Nav POI - war cemeteries you will find downloads for war cemetries for several different Sat Navs (ie: Tom Tom, Garmin, Navigon Etc) but I have to say I've not used it as yet.

Help ! Help!

I have pensioned off the old Satnav and purchased the tomtom 1, version 3 but can anyone please tell me how to load the war cemeteries detail once I have downloaded the zip file.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter

1. extract files

2. copy F-war cemetery files (not the download inst word pad file)

3. connect TT and open drive (usually f or g) using my computer,

4. select western_europe file and paste

Job done

This is the same procedure for downloading any POI's

regards

Ian

Sadly cant get any of these to work on my LG ln505 which uses Destinator :( although did get belgium cems from that other link to work fine and will be putting to the test in 10 days. Just wish could have got french ones..oh well

Wayne

Plunge taken. "TomTom One Europe" now on order with Amazon.

I rather like the idea of Ozzy Osbourne telling me "I said next effing left, not effing right". It'll make a change from Mrs H.

Thanks to all.

John

Hi John,i have Tom Tom One Europe,and on the Tom Tom Home Web Site you can Download Different Voices for Free,Sean Connery is on there,but the One that should carry a Warning is the Dr.Steven Hawking Synthesised Machine voice !!!,my God after about 4 Minutes of this Machine Monotone Talking to You,you will either Fall Asleep at the Wheel or Hurl the Tom Tom out of the Window !!.On a Serious Note,i have used my Tom Tom Europe for Many Battlefield Visits,and along with Bruces Cemetery Download it is a Great Bit of Kit...Dont Forget to Order yourself a 2 Gig Sandisk SD Card along with your Tom Tom,this is a Must for all your Up Dates and Downloads.Have Fun ..Regards Russ.

Hi John,i have Tom Tom One Europe,and on the Tom Tom Home Web Site you can Download Different Voices for Free,Sean Connery is on there,but the One that should carry a Warning is the Dr.Steven Hawking Synthesised Machine voice !!!,my God after about 4 Minutes of this Machine Monotone Talking to You,you will either Fall Asleep at the Wheel or Hurl the Tom Tom out of the Window !!.On a Serious Note,i have used my Tom Tom Europe for Many Battlefield Visits,and along with Bruces Cemetery Download it is a Great Bit of Kit...Dont Forget to Order yourself a 2 Gig Sandisk SD Card along with your Tom Tom,this is a Must for all your Up Dates and Downloads.Have Fun ..Regards Russ.

Apparently you can get Mr T-does the instruction go something like "turn left fool !"

John,If You want to be REALLY Masochistic you can even Download Mrs Hartleys Voice and use it !!!..as the Guidance Voice...I am Currently using Clint Eastwoods Voice.."At the Next Junction Turn Left Punk"

John,If You want to be REALLY Masochistic you can even Download Mrs Hartleys Voice and use it

No-one could be that masochistic. It is bad enough with the real one shouting "I said left. Are you effing deaf or stupid? I said left".

And that's on a good day.

post-7805-1207479237.jpg

post-7805-1207479305.jpg

Mick D

Ref: 'Tom, thanks for the map, looking at the section to the South of your extract, are all 3 of the roads shown that head towards Hardecourt ok for cars ?'

I have just noticed your reply. As long as you do not take the road I have mentioned, I believe the others should be okay if using the Tom Tom.

Aye

Tom McC

I bet I can get to a given place in France, all other things equal, faster than those using SatNav.

Good luck anyway.

Regards

Martin

Martin, I agree with the smart alec biker - I bet you can't! In 2005, driving by myself, not having been to Europe for 40 years and pulling out of the box my brand new TomTom at Lille Railway Station, I was within hours beating the tour buses between cemetries and battlefield sites with minutes to spare. And I didn't have the Long/Lats. I found using the street address found in the local tourist brochures extremely helpful. I have all the details saved for my next trip.

I will admit to driving quite fast from Newfoundland Park on a sunken lane on one occasion to get back to the pub, a toilet, a beer and bed, now thatI have the www.poiplaza.com link that someone generously shared here, I'd enjoy driving fast down that lane more and be able to find a public toilet more easily!

cheers,

Chris

• 2 months later...

On the website The Great War in Flanders Fields you can download the data for the most common used navigation systems or programs (TomTom, Garmin, Maptech, GPS eXchange, OziExplorer, Google Earth). With this, you have all the data necessary to quickly and easily navigate towards all cemeteries, monuments, sites, memorials, museums, ... with regard to the Great War in Flanders Fields.