Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sat Nav - finding cemeteries

John_Hartley

Having recently got lost not only travelling to the few miles to a WFAmeeting at Burnley, but also back home again to Stockport, I've decided to take the plunge and buy a sat nav.

Mrs H suggests that I consider one that will help find cemeteries, etc on battlefield tours. And there was me thinking she enjoyed the challenge of map-reading from a Holts Guide!!!

What would be ideal would be to buy a product that will enable me to "touch screen" with the cemetery location (using Mrs H's trusty Holt's map) and off we go. I see major manufacturers offer "Western Europe" sat navs but wonder if these sufficiently detailed. Anyone got any thoughts or, more importantly, experience?

TIA

John

A good map, sensible directions, a view as to where you are in space and a sense of adventure do wonders for the soul John.

I bet I can get to a given place in France, all other things equal, faster than those using SatNav.

Good luck anyway.

Regards

Martin

John put GPS in to the search faculty and it comes up with a few threads that may be of help. such as this one .

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry828953

I love maps and swore I would NEVER buy a SATNAV but the Mrs got lost in London and that sort of swung it. They are very very helpful. I Bought a Garmin nuvi 250w with European maps installed. It takes a bit working out how to use it , but its all fun. I am off to France in April and have already programmed the coordinates of the hotel we are staying at . Around home local knowledge is best and I sometimes wonder "why is it taking me this way :lol: ) but get away from home and it comes in to its own . I still carry a map in the car though . "MO"

I have an ipaq with tom Tom maps of wetern europe, add to that bruce's database and magic. I write from arras as the end of a busy weekend chasing photographs of casualties in a number of cemeteries. faultless.

keith

John

I don't even have a car, and I've recently bought one!! I'm going to Ypres next week, and getting Eurostar to Lille, where we're hiring a car. The thought of getting out of Lille (and eventually back in again) persuaded me that it would be well worth the investment. Mine, (a Garmin Nuvi 660) also has things like pedestrian and bus mode, and I've found it great for navigating successfully round London and other towns, without hanging around on street corners struggling with a map.

I've logged various addresses, and quite a few co-ordinates for cemeteries I'll be visiting, so time will tell ...

Sue

John - I bought my TomTom after being impressed by the way my Son's TomTom took us from Varlet Farm to a cemetery near Le Cateau. We found the cemetery on the Michelin map, and then my son found the same spot on the TomTom map, tapped the screen, and the TomTom took us there. It announced "You have reached your destination" just as we came level with the hard-standing by the cemetery gates.

The TomTom Western Europe maps can navigate to individual addresses and give the names of every country lane you drive through - plenty detailed enough.

Tom

Tom

I knew someone had previously told me this story!

It was you and your TomTom, Tom. So to speak. :D

I'll nip to Halfords and have a play with it and a Garmin and see which I fancy. At least I know what I want to do can be done.

Thanks to others as well. I had missed the "other thread".

John

I understand you can have "celebrity voices" telling you which way to go with the TOMTOM :blink: . haha "MO" (wouldn't mind Kenneth Branagh or Sean Connery directing me about )

John,

I used the Tom Tom Europe in France recently, and I was very impressed. The only thing is...sometimes the Tom Tom has its moments :blink: ...what it considers to be a road, sometimes isn't quite (from a recent experience going from Longueval to Chavasse Farm at night) or the route may no longer be accessible. However, once the common sense has kicked in and you decide not to take its command, the machine re-calibrates and selects another route, and away you go, happily following the directions of 'Jane' etc. All in, I thought it was a very good nav-aid, but as Mo stated, it is still useful to have the map as a back-up and confirmatory nav-aid - plus the Tom Tom does not have the relief of the ground. Prior to any trips, I put in the Lat and Long coordinates (using Microsoft Autoroute), give the location its name, touch the screen and away you go. It was also extremely useful when I was driving, and Mrs McC had the map...hope she does not read this :D.

Possibly a thread with Cemetery or location coordinates, that forum pals can share, will be useful now that Sat-Navs are becoming more common place?

Aye

Tom McC

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660T which is a widescreen version and loaded with European maps. The best thing about my version (as opposed to others I have tried whilst in the car) is it names the street you should turn on. I have found with other Sat Navs when it tells you to 'Turn left in 500 yards' - we're useless at telling how far 500 yards is, especially when you're moving in a car and there are two or three turns close together. Mine will announce 'Turn left on King's Road' for instance - it's text to voice technology,which is a great help.

We got lost in Amiens last year and just couldn't find our way out to get back on track again - even stopping and asking the locals didn't help us - we eventually found help, but it was scary for a while!!!!

With a Sat Nav there wouldn't have been a problem.

If you go to this site here: Sat Nav POI - war cemeteries you will find downloads for war cemetries for several different Sat Navs (ie: Tom Tom, Garmin, Navigon Etc) but I have to say I've not used it as yet.

Hi John,

I use a Tom Tom and Downloaded the France Map from their Website. I was a little doubtful about the Battlefield Cemeteries, given their obscure location, but "Jane", as she is known, found each and every one of them.

I covered an area from Avrils place at Auchonvillers up to Ypres and didn't get lost once. An outstanding piece of kit.

Regards

PAUL J.

Tom,

What was the problem with TOMTOM's directions to Chavasse farm ?

I'm intending to use mine to get to this location next month.

Mick

, ./

John,

I used the Tom Tom Europe in France recently, and I was very impressed. The only thing is...sometimes the Tom Tom has its moments :blink: ...what it considers to be a road, sometimes isn't quite (from a recent experience going from Longueval to Chavasse Farm at night) or the route may no longer be accessible. However, once the common sense has kicked in and you decide not to take its command, the machine re-calibrates and selects another route, and away you go, happily following the directions of 'Jane' etc. All in, I thought it was a very good nav-aid, but as Mo stated, it is still useful to have the map as a back-up and confirmatory nav-aid - plus the Tom Tom does not have the relief of the ground. Prior to any trips, I put in the Lat and Long coordinates (using Microsoft Autoroute), give the location its name, touch the screen and away you go. It was also extremely useful when I was driving, and Mrs McC had the map...hope she does not read this :D.

Possibly a thread with Cemetery or location coordinates, that forum pals can share, will be useful now that Sat-Navs are becoming more common place?

Aye

Tom McC

A couple of years ago I bought the CWGC Cemeteries and Memorials guide for northern France and Belgium in the IFF museum shop for 10 Euros ISBN-2-06-710731-3 lists well over 900 sites. Map scale looks about 1;50000.

As a tour guide, I have saved lots of points to which I have to get a coach on my TomTom as favourites. It gets me everywhere I need to go, even if there are occasional problems with it not knowing I am on a coach. Drivers seem to appreciate it too, and it leaves me free to explain to those onboard where we are going, and its relevance, without having to use maps and constantly interrupt to direct the driver.

I got a bit fed up with Jane after a while, so downloaded John Cleese as the voice, who also puts in the odd joke. There are plenty of other voices which you can use, but I would not recommend the Ozzie Osbourne if you anticipate using it in a coach of 13 year olds, or if travelling with the pedre or others with a weak constitution. You can imagine his language!

All in all, a sound investment, but I also take the CWGC maps with me, just in case.............

Bruce

It was you and your TomTom, Tom. So to speak. :D

And my son, who owns the TomTom, Tom, is called Tim.

Play with this to your heart's content.

Tom Tim Tom

Mick,

If you are going there via Longueval it wants you to take a single metalled track that eventually becomes a muddy chalk track and I think goes along the side of Trones wood. If you crack on to Guillemont, 'Jane' readjusts and gets you there no bother. I will post a map tomorrow.

Aye

Tom McC

I use SATNAV and find it invaluable. Yes I can read a map and pride myself on my map reading skills but when you travel alone a lot to places you have never been before you really cannot beat it. As for the SATNAV taking you down a chalky track, well 4x4 can sort that out. It can get me from Auchonvillers to IKEA in Lille, which says it all.

Mick

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660T which is a widescreen version and loaded with European maps. The best thing about my version (as opposed to others I have tried whilst in the car) is it names the street you should turn on. I have found with other Sat Navs when it tells you to 'Turn left in 500 yards' - we're useless at telling how far 500 yards is, especially when you're moving in a car and there are two or three turns close together. Mine will announce 'Turn left on King's Road' for instance - it's text to voice technology,which is a great help.

We got lost in Amiens last year and just couldn't find our way out to get back on track again - even stopping and asking the locals didn't help us - we eventually found help, but it was scary for a while!!!!

With a Sat Nav there wouldn't have been a problem.

If you go to this site here: Sat Nav POI - war cemeteries you will find downloads for war cemetries for several different Sat Navs (ie: Tom Tom, Garmin, Navigon Etc) but I have to say I've not used it as yet.

Can't see a link for Navman iCN 530 on this website. "Mavis" would love to be programmed.

Thanks for that Tom, have 'experienced' a chalk road before at Pendant Copse ( Serre).

Mick

My current car Nissan X Trail and previous Toyota Previa both have built in Sat Nav and in conjuction with the CWGC Northern France and Belgium book I have found it excellent.

The one weakness I have found is that often the CWGC website doesnt actually tell you which road/street/lane is the nearest to the Memorial/Cemetery. But I have found the local signposting by CWGC excellent. I genuinely get excited when I see the green sign and know we are close to our destination.

Only had one problem near Fricourt when the sat nav took me down a cul de sac with as Rawlinson would describe it 'capital country' directly ahead with just green fields and rolling hills in front of me. A recent new roundabout was the cause I think.

Have fun.

We have had a thread on this I recall? I have the POI on my MIO Digi Walker and on my Satnav in the car. It works a treat! If anything it is more useful for the urban cemetaries that those out in the wilds. Out in the ulu you can pull over for a look at the map and often get a glimpse of the Cross against the skyline, but it will take you straight to the Cemetieres Communals as easy as you like.

Chris C

I have downloaded BRUCEBRAUNSTON excellent Points of interest (POI) for the CWGC Cemeteries In France/Holland/Belgium etc. I have also downloaded from the web the POI,s for English Heritage and the National trust sites "MO"

Plunge taken. "TomTom One Europe" now on order with Amazon.

I rather like the idea of Ozzy Osbourne telling me "I said next effing left, not effing right". It'll make a change from Mrs H.

Thanks to all.

John

John,

Good luck with the new sat-nav, and remember to update it weekly-ish.

Mick (Auchonvillers),

Still working on the Mrs for a Land Rover; I've bought her a new handbag, and even said she can be vehicle commander :D...still not broken her will yet!

Mick D

Please find a small map of the area I am on about below. Taking a line directly south of the 'n' in Longueval, you can see the track I mentioned - it starts off metalled. It heads down to Trones Wood (the very pointy, triangular wood at the bottom of the picture), then runs along the east side of the wood. As Mick said earlier, good in a 4x4, not so good in a car. If you just crack on along the D20 to Guillemont, you can avoid the 'cacky' track. Hope this is of use. PM me if you want the Lat and Long for Chavasse.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1205187925.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

thanks for the map, looking at the section to the South of your extract, are all 3 of the roads shown that head towards Hardecourt ok for cars ?

Mick D