Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorks 49 Division

Chris Henschke

During the late afternoon of 11 November 1917, 146 Bde took over the line from 6 Aust. Inf. Bde on Broodseinde Ridge.

7 West Yorkshire Regt took over as Line - Right Battalion, and

5 West Yorkshire Regt took over as Line - Left Battalion.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the 146 Brigade's patrol programme and/or intelligence summaries for that period?

During their time on the ridge, in late October and early November, when NML was up to 1000 yards, Australian brigades normally put out four or five fighting patrols and two or three standing patrols per night (from the two battalions in the front line).

If someone has this information on hand I would be interested in getting a copy, failing that a reference for the War Diary in Kew - if I ever get there again!

Chris Henschke

Chris

Yesterday I took a look in 146 Brigade HQs War Diary WO95/2793 for early- to mid- November 1917. I thought that your query might have been answered there,but no such luck ! My notes say:

Brigade HQ at STEENVOORDE EAST to 8th Nov then move to SWAN AREA. HQ at HALFWAY HOUSE. 10th 146 Bde relieved 6 Australian Bde in CELTIC WOOD sector completing by 8.15 p.m.

There is a marginal reference to Appendix C (OO No.82) part of which document read :

"all defence schemes,maps,aero photos etc to be handed over" (to relieving Bde/Bns) but there is no mention of patrol schemes etc in this Diary. I scanned all of November's Journal and Appendixes.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks for looking.

all I know is that 1/8 West Yorks capture 5 prisoners from 23 RIR on 17 November 1917. It would be interesting to see where they were captured and how far the patrols were pushed out.

cheers.

Chris Henschke

Chris

That was significant info which would have influenced where I looked ! I will make a note but won't be going for a couple of months.

I knew I SHOULD have noted the Brigade's Grid ref,R6 or 8 plus some more letters ! You might have been able to work out the zone more precisely from that.

Sotonmate