Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Leave

Sue Light

Relating to Australian nurses working in France (or anyone else for that matter), can anyone tell me what '1914 Leave' is, as in:

Received letter from Headquarters, AIF requesting the immediate transfer of the following members of the AANS to England should be arranged, as these ladies are eligible for 1914 leave to Australia ...

This entry made in December 1918.

Sue

Sue,

'1914 leave' was an extended leave to Australia for those who had joined in 1914. It was also known as Special leave. It was granted to the AIF very late in the war.

Chris Henschke

Thanks Chris - I hadn't seen it before late 1918. And as 'Special Leave' had different connotations for nurses, they would have used the '1914' term, I suppose.

Sue

I've also seen it as '1914 special leave'!

And as far as the nurses were concerned, this leave in 1918 would actually mean the end of their service overseas, and presumably demobilisation on return to Australia. I don't know how many nurses it applied to, and as these entries are for nurses serving in France, and the AANS didn't enter France until April 1916 onwards, these women must have qualified by previous service in Egypt.

Sue