Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weapons of the trench war 1914-1918

Robert Dunlop

Published by Sutton (ISBN 0 7509 2505 1)

This is an interesting review of the variety of trench weapons and their development. The focus is primarily on British weapons, ranging from: jam-tins and other early hand grenades through the evolution of the Mills grenades; percussion grenades; rifle grenades and chemical grenades; catapults; grenade launchers; mortars; and projectors, including gas and flamethrowers. Some information is provided about German and French variants.

The most interesting perspective of the book is the information about the various patents that were taken out in relation to the development of these weapons. The author has included several drawings from this source, which is helpful in illustrating what did not reach the frontline as well as what did. He also makes the point that the Patent Office seemed to be an untapped source of information for the Germans, something that was probably better exploited in the development of the jet engine during WW2 for example.

I also appreciated the detail about how several of the weapons actually worked. For example, the evolution of the hand grenade was particularly interesting, especially the attempts to develop a safe but effective percussion grenade.

Recommended

Robert

If you enjoyed that book I suggest you get his other book

DOMINATING THE ENEMY WAR IN THE TRENCHES 1914 -1918

This book is an excellent companion.

Geoff

I agree Wpns of the trnch war was a very informative read. I'll seek out DOMINATING THE ENEMY WAR IN THE TRENCHES 1914 -1918 in the future.