Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wyndham Family in the Great War

Jerrymurland

I'm putting together a family tree of the Wyndham family in an attempt to understand the relationship of all the Wyndhams killed in the Great War. I have two who I cannot link to the family tree of George O'Brien Wyndham: Captain the Hon. E.H. Wyndham 1st Life Guards and Captain the Hon E.S. Wyndham DSO, also of the 1st Life Guards. They do not figure on the casualty list so I presume they both survived. E.H. Wyndham I think was the Adj. of 1st Life Guards.

Lieutenant the Hon William Reginald Wyndham was killed serving with the 1st Life Guards in Nov 1914 - I am clear about his relationship to the rest of the family.

Any light that can be thrown upon these 2 Wyndhams would be gratefully received.

Jerry

Jerry

Edward Scawen Wyndham. 1st Life Guards

Born 13 April 1883, son of second Baron Leconsfield. Married 1907, Gladys Mary, daughter of FJW Farquhar. Three sons , one daughter. Entered Army in 1904, Captain , 1911; Major, 1915, Lt Col, 1919. Colonel , 1924. Served European War . Wounded, despatches , DSO. Address, Edmondthorpe Hall, Oakham.

Source - Who's Who, 1925

Possible service record here:

WO 339/36345 WYNDHAM E, Lieut Col 1915-1918

Photograph of him here:

http://www.thepeerage.com/p1941.htm

Family letters here:

http://tinyurl.com/2ssnt9

TR

Jerry - there are several internet sources that suggest that Everard Humphrey Wyndham was Edward Scawen's younger brother - born 4th December 1888

There is notice in The Times of 14 January 1920 announcing his forthcoming marriage to Ruth Constance Astley (only daughter of Mr and Mrs Hubert Astley, Brinsop Court, Herefordshire) It was later announced the wedding had been arranged for 14th April 1920.

The initial announcement said he was the 6th son of the late Lord Leconfield

He died 3rd November 1970 - (no obit that I could see) but most references to him seemed to suggest he used Humphrey as his first name rather than Everard

Cheers

Sue

Sue

That is very helpful, its slotted into place the missing piece! I now have all the Wyndhams accounted for. quite a family!!

Jerry

Further to your thread, William Reginald Wyndham, KIA Nov 1914, had a home on North Parade, Grantham. In 1920, his mother Lady Leconfield (Constance Evelyn Primrose) donated a £1000 to provide a memorial in Grantham to her son. This took the form of a park and provided work for many otherwise unemployed men. The park was officially opened in 1924 by Lady Leconfield and still exists to this day.

Just a bit of background info!

Cheers for now

Jonathan

Many thanks, yes I was aware of the memorial park but didn't know it still exosted today!

Jerry

yes it exists in name as Wyndham Park but sadly suffers with 21st century ills. e.g. vandalism, a meeting place for unruly kids etc. however, there is a Wyndham Park forum who try very hard to keep the place running for the benefit of the people of Grantham as per Lady Leconfield's wishes. you can google their web site easily enough

cheers

Jonathan