Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German POW's in Southern Ireland 1914-15

Guest Irishcop

I am doing some research into the detention of over 2300 German POW's in Richmond Barracks, Templemore, County Tipperary from late 1914 to March 1915. This Barracks now houses the national Police (Garda Siochana) Training College, and we have opened a small Museum, so I am trying to find out as much information as possible so that we can make a memorial display. The POW's were mostly captured at the Battle of the Aisne, and also some Sailors from the Konig Luisa. Two of the POW's died in captivity,and were buried with full Military honours from the Leinster Regiment. The prisoners enjoyed a pretty good regime in Templemore, and wrote fondly about the place. In March 1915 the Prisoners were moved a camp at Leigh in Lancashire in the UK as the Authorities got information that the IRA were going to attempt to "spring" the prisoners from the camp in advance of the 1916 rebellion. Any information about the Prisoners, Richmond Barracks in general etc. would be most welcome. Like the song says, "it's a long way to Tipperary!"

Dear Irishcop,

not sure how much help it is to you - but you may well be interested in a publication on the prison camp at Leigh which does have details of some of the prisoners:

Smith, L. 1986. The German Prisoner of War Camp at Leigh 1914-1919. Neil Richardson (publishers), Radcliffe.

Strandard Googol search should show up publishers address/phone number - cost is c £3.50 not including post. Fundamentally it is a reprint of lots of contemporary newspaper articles

I'm trying to reaseach German POWs in Yate, South Gloucestershire, at the moment and am thus looking at the Red Cross, and various German/UK locations for info on the men that were interned.

cheers and good luck

Richard

Richard, thanks so much for the information, it is really helpful as I know that all of the POW's from Templemore went to Leigh, so if I can get that book it will be a great help, so I will get straight onto it. Thanks again,

John Reynolds

Ah excellent!

In which case John, I'd say Cannock Chase is an important resource for you. there were several deaths at Leigh (some from escape attempts - others from wounds or disease). The men were buried locally but then their bodies were exumed and rebuied at the German cemetery at Cannock - perhaps one of your men is amongst this number?

If you have any problems getting the book - let me know as I have a copy

all best

Richard

John,

I've just rooted out this book and it has alot on Templemore! Including an article on "360 German Soldiers interned at Leigh" (Leigh Chronicle feb 5th 1915) and photos of their arrival.

Furthermore, several of the Templemore men DID die at Leigh and their are excellent photos of their funerals:

Friedrich Wilhelm Karl Smidt, aged 25, fusilier of the 35th Regiment, shot whilst escaping 31st may 1915 (in paper 4/06/16)

Ernst Heinrich Rabbow, aged 21, private of 211th Reserve infantry Regt - died of consumption on 12th March 1916 (in paper on 17/03/16)

Paul Siegfied Kreiger, aged 19, of 241st Reserve Regt of German infatnry - died of illness on 16th May 1916 (in paper19/05/16)

Otto Gunther, aged 21, Private of the 212th German Reserve Infantry - died of enteric fever on 7th October 1916 (in paper 13/10/16).

All the above ARE buried in Cannock Chase in Stafforshire in the German cemetery

Hope this is of use - I must confess to being not a little jealous - I am really struggling to find anything about the inmatesof Yate!

all best

Richard

Richard, thanks for taking the trouble to send me all of the details for the POW's, it is really useful, as I am trying to find out exactly what Units were sent to Templemore. I am sorry that you are having trouble finding out about your POW camp, can suggest a source of information that I found really useful? The Royal Irish Constabulary magazine of the period gave great details of what was happening in the local camp, so maybe your local Constabulary had a similar magazine, and if so, the Police Museum may be able to help. They shoudl have copies of Police reports into incidents at the camp such as deatchs, escape attempts etc. Might be worth a try, sometimes the best information comes from the most unlikely sources.

Thanks again,

John

Dear John,

address of the Publishers of Leigh Camp volume:

Mr Neilr Richardson

88 Ringley Road

Stoneclough

Radcliffe

Manchester

M26 1ET

Thanks for the police advice - I'll see if the Gloucestershire Constabulary have anything (though this was also in territory of Avon and Somerset force so perhaps they are now the holders of info)

all best

Richard

:) Richard, thanks for the message and address, I will contact them and get a copy of the book. Best of luck with the Police angle, it worked for me, and anything is worth a go.