Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T Agar Roberts Coldstream Gds

Coldstreamer

Hello

Loo's September 1915 saw Cpt Hon TC Agar Roberts recommended for the Victoria Cross by Gregge Hopwood. However, he didnt get one but a mention in despatches instead

Any one know what he did and / or why he went from the highest to the lowest award ?

Thanks

There were only two posthumous awards available in 1915, so if the VC was recommended and not awarded the only other option was a Mention.

Ken

that answers that one and a similar question I had, thanks very much

I think it's Agar-Robartes: there is quite a bit on it in Gliddon's The Aristocracy and the Great War. Although this is the most frustrating book known to man (due to the lack of an 'index of characters' - I had to track it down via Who's Who), it explains that A-R is the family name of the Viscount Clifden's family; they lived at Lanhydrock in Cornwall, and there is quite a bit about Tommy.

I think he has a memorial window in the church at Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire.

thanks all

I have a photo of his grave at Lapugnoy, if it's required. He is buried next to a man from the 9th King's.

Ken

I have a photo of his grave at Lapugnoy, if it's required. He is buried next to a man from the 9th King's.

Ken

if you could post it up then yes please

Coldstreamer

Capt. A-R's Company over-ran a German position on the night of Sept. 27th, & the Captain himself was seen fearlessly walking up & down in the face of hostile fire, refusing to take any cover. The following day, the Coldstream Guards were 'absolutely mown down' at the 'Chalk Pit'. On the 29th, rescue parties were still being sent out to fetch in the wounded. A Cornish newspaper of the time reported: 'At about 6 a.m....two Sergeants in Capt. Robartes' Company went out in front of our trenches at the chalk pit almost up to the Bois to bring in a wounded man. When they were about to return Sergt. Hopkins was shot down by a German sniper. Sergt. Printer continued on with the wounded man and brought him into our lines. Capt. Robartes, who had been watching the whole episode, at once went out with Sergt. Printer and brought in Sergt. Hopkins, who was severely wounded. The whole ground in front of the chalk pit was covered by the enemy's machine guns. Capt. Robartes was himself fatally wounded about half an hour afterwards while superintending other rescues'. This account also reveals the Captain had previously led his men forward on four occasions, encountering heavy machine gun fire. One eye-witness commented: 'He took every risk to himself to encourage the men of his Company to prosecute the attack'. Sgt. Printer received the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

Nick

I do remember an article in the DT a number of years ago where the family home which had been given over to the national Trust and his Military trunk was discovered in the attic. Apparantly his death destroyed his mothers health and she had all his items stored away because of the memories. In the trunk was his uniform, trench periscope and all his bits from the front in pristine condition.

He was also I think an MP before going off to War.

Rob

Will try and did out the atricle

Thanks for the pic and extra info

nothing like that in my loft

Hopkins got no medals for this action.

Seems Hopwood who submitted the recommendation for Loos wasnt very successful - 14 recommendations but only 8 accepted and 5 of those downgraded from what he suggested

as Blackadder would say - seems there where not enough elephant in his report