Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aliens Registration Cards

eltoro1960

Early in the War , foreign aliens were required to registar with their local Police for the duration of hostilities. Does anybody know what happened to the cards after the war. Were they recalled or were they just left in the possession of the bearer? Grateful for any assistance.

John

Early in the War , foreign aliens were required to registar with their local Police for the duration of hostilities. Does anybody know what happened to the cards after the war. Were they recalled or were they just left in the possession of the bearer? Grateful for any assistance.

John

I do not know anything about cards but the police kept their official register of aliens which gives more info. than a census. It is pot luck if they have survived. For example the aliens register for the Birmingham Police District is in the West Midlands Police Museum behind Sparkbrook Police Station.

Thanks for that Alan I will try a mate a the local headquarters who might be able to assist.

John

In Australia, the enemy alien cards are archived in the National Archives of Australia.

A.

There are dozens of files on this subject at the National Archives and names are scattered throughout them. Metropolitan Police file for the Islington Internment Camp contains a partial list of the those held there. The one that may be of use to you is here, although I haven't inspected it myself yet:

HO 144/11720 Internment of enemy aliens during 1914-1918 war: Classified List. 1918-1930

TR