Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting the great war/ww 1 battlefields in april

Guest pieter2004

I remember my eldest, then aged about 12, standing in a cemetery ay Arnhem and looking at the grave names, etc. Then saying, utterly shocked, 'Daddy, they weren't much older than me'.

It really can get to them (and me).

Thank you all for your replies about taking children. My daughter is still firm that she wants to go and my husband is sure that she shouldn't go! So I've decided to set her a little project about my grandfather's cousin whose name is on our local war memorial and whose grave I will be visiting. I think if she shows that she really interested then I'll take her.

Michael, thanks for the Varlet Farm recommendation - we're now booked in there for the Friday night.

So Friday we will be at Varlet Farm and Saturday/Sunday will be at Avril Williams - I can't wait! My husband and I have spent the last few nights pouring over books and maps of the area so hopefully soon we'll know exactly where we're going.

Can any one recommend any museums - I know about the one in Albert so will be going there - any other ones that are a must?

Kate

In Flanders Field in Ieper would be very good for daughter, Hooge Crater Museum for you. Both would probably like the Historial in Peronne, SOmme area, new with lots of good uniforms equipment posters & Otto Dix art.

My daughter, Poppy, has grown up on the battlefields (she is 5) and has never found it odd to look around battlefields with her dad; I have dragged her all along the Western Front and many WW2 locations as well. She enjoys seeing all the 'nature' as much as anything, and having big spaces to walk and run around in. These places are great for children, in that respect; most children respond to being outdoors very well, in my experience. Travelling, I firmly believe, like this will also give your children a perspective on life and other countries that their friends who stay at home never have - so go for it!

And you never know who you will meet - this is Poppy in the arms of 80s pop star Gary Kemp at Le Tommy Bar last summer, while he was making a film there! :D

post-12-1079031393.jpg

My daughter, Poppy, has grown up on the battlefields

Paul, I have got to congratulate you on your daughter's name....

Beautiful!

Ryan

Lovely photo and a very suitable name, Paul.

BTW the grave I will be visiting in Ypres is Gordon Parnall Kemp - I've often wondered if there's a link between this family and the Kemp brothers (popstars if the 80s).

Kate

IMHO, the two best museums on the Western Front in terms of quality of artifacts and superb dioramas are both owned by the same gentleman - The first at Notre dame de Lorette (by the cemetery and tower) and the second in a small turning in the town of La Targette. The quantity and quality of the artifacts and displays is incredible.

Paul, I have got to congratulate you on your daughter's name....

Beautiful!

Thanks Ryan and Kate - she is a wonderful little girl, something I am sure all fathers feel about their daughter! I often wonder how growing up 'out there' will affect and influence her in later life, and indeed her brother Edmund; I can only pray it will have positive effects.

Kate - yes, I wonder about the Kemps. Gary, since making this film, had become quite a WW1 enthusiast.

It is, but I suspect it will never be shown as it has funding problems, the last time I heard. It was set in the 70s or 80s and was about someone, played by Paul McGann, who returned to follow a relatives service on the Western Front. Gary Kemp was one of the supporting actors. They were out there filming it last August. I don't have a title or anything - not even sure if there was one!

Hi,

If you have time I would recomend the Museums at Zonnebeke and Mesen (Messines) . Both museums are located in the center of their villages and both are very small, but I feel that they are worthwhile. Have a great trip.

Brum

The Zonnebeke Museum has undergone a revamp. I am planning to take the kids to the new version in October. Has anyone been to it-not sure exactly when it is due to open.

I think there was a thread on this last week. In the most recent WFA journal there is an advert for the new museum, I believe it opens on ANZAC day? If no-one else chips in I will try and find the notice.

Hi,

I am pretty new to this forum and am no computer whiz so I do not know how to put a link into this reply, but I asked the same question on another thread and found out that it all kicks off at the Zonnebeke Museum (Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917) on the 24th and 25th of April.

www.zonnebeke.be.

Brum

Speaking of children on the battlefields my two, Tora age 8 now and Garion age 5 both loved our outings in France & Belgium. Tora even asked for a Mills Bomb for Christmas in 02 and she got one in her stocking! Got to love St Nick! Both she and Garion are superb shrapnel ball hunters and I always kept baby wipes handy to wipe off their hands after they handled the lead balls. I taught both from the very start what UXO looked like and not to touch. I once got a well deserved tongue lashing from my daughter when I rolled a toffee apple over to get a picture of it's fuse. She was right and I was stupid I of course told her she was correct and that I would never do that again, I haven't.

A favorite spot of theirs was the Ulster Tower when Teddy & Phoebe were over from Northern Ireland. I think Tora & Garion's fondest memory was the weekend the cherries were ripe at the Tower and we sat about one sweet afternoon eating our fill with Teddy & Phoebe.