Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting the great war/ww 1 battlefields in april

Guest pieter2004

Guest pieter2004

Hello everybody, i was wondering if yall could help me with the following. Always being interested in ww1 i have decided to make a 5 day trip to belgium/north of france to see some of the battlefields. The thing i'm really looking for is a basic/ not to specific travelguide/book concerning the battlefields/sights on the western front......is there a book/guide that's considered a must/authority? Also since i'm still a "rookie" concerning the ww1 i was wondering what kind of itinerary some of you "experts" would suggest. I myself was thinking of the following three places to focus on: ypres, somme area, verdun (by the way i'm from holland and will be driving down from there). Thank you all very much in advance for all the helpfull replioes (hopefully!!!!!!!!!!)

Pieter

Pieter

Welcome

I can tell from your post that you are perfectly OK reading in English - in which case I would recommend Holt's Guide to Ypres and Holts's Guide to the Somme. Excellent, if basic, guides to the two areas, including driving tours. Cannot help with Verdun.

There are Dutch and Flemish members of this Forum who may be able to recommend other books that are in Dutch and possibly focus more on the Belgian Army's involvement. The Holts book are very Anglo centred.

Have a good trip and don't forget to come back and tell us how you found it.

Pieter

I don't know how much time you will be allowing yourself for each of the areas.

The Holt's books on Somme & Iepers are quite comprehensive on what to see and give you a number of 'self-guided' tours BUT for each area in this way you would probably need 2/3 days at least.

For Verdun, the French guidebook published in French, English and may be other languages, e.g German, is 'Verdun: Vision & Comprehension- The battlefield & it's surropundings'. ISBN 84-378-1447-2

There are guided tours which cover Somme/Iepers eg http://www.battlefield-tours.com/ and many others do the same sort of thing. It really depends on how much time you have.

Good luck!

Also, and this is not a guide book, 'Fields of Memory- A testimony to the Great War., ISBN 1 84188 111-2. Anne Roeze. French book in Enlish. Non-Anglophile view of the War. Really memorable photos.

5 days to see all 3 of these areas, you will really find yourself going from memorial to cemetery to museum and get a very broad idea. My 1st time was a week and was this way. What you will accomplish though is a good idea of what you want to see on subsequent visits, you will have a great time.

Let me tell you what to read, available in cheap paperback, Back to The Front by Stephen O'Shea. It's TERRIBLE as military history but quite amusing as a travel book with keen though sarcastic observations of people & places.

Guest Steve Seaman

Hi Pieter,

I 'm making my first trip to the Somme in March and amongst others would thoroughly recommend Walking the Somme by Paul Reed ( fellow Pal) published by Pen & Sword. This book is excellent for beginners and experienced visitors.

I would also recommend you read in conjunction with the above any of the Battleground Europe series again published by Pen and Sword.

Enjoy your visit

regards

Steve

Pieter,

I would recommend you stick to Ypres and some part of Northern France, esp. Loos and Neuve Chapelle.

The books you need are

Chrisje & Kees Brants: VELDEN VAN WELEER (Nijgh en van Ditmar), which combines itineraries, history and literature;

IEPER EN DE FRONTSTREEK 1914-18, with map, available at the Tourist Office in Ypres or one of the bookshops.

Of course, if you live in the South you coulc do Verdun, but for that you would certainly need more time because of the greater distances between the battlefields.

Fred

Rose Coombes Before Endeavous Fade (After The Battle publications) is probably the best single guide, considered the bible by many, and certainly what I had with when I visited the Somme for the first time 25 years ago.

There are also some print off and use battlefield guides to some of the areas you propose to visit on my website - just click on the www button below.

I used Rose Coombes' book, which Paul recommends, on my first visit and it is excellent.

It's easy to use, her directions are clear and there is enough information to give you an insight into what happened.

Take your time, allow yourself to absorb the atmosphere and reflect [think]; and prepare to be emotionally charged or moved by your experiences.

Gwyn

Guest pieter2004

Thank you all very much for these very helpfull replies! It seems that i underestimated the amount of things to see/do, so i have decided to focus this (first?) trip on the area around Ypres and leave the other places for a next (?) trip. I have ordered the mrs and major holt guide book for ypres/salient and will probably pick up the book by rose coombs since it's considered as an authority if i take account of your replies. I am already looking forward to my trip.

so i have decided to focus this (first?) trip on the area around Ypres and leave the other places for a next (?) trip.

I think you are wise to do this.

People visiting to battlefields either go there as tourists, i.e see as much as you can, as quickly as you can, and then head to the bar, OR they go there with respect and a need to understand.

For a first visit, for either Iepers or the Somme, you should look at a minimum of 2-3 days. THEN you could start spending even more time either generally or more specifically on particular areas in each area.

This year I will be going to the Somme for the fifth time and still there is so much to do and find out and ponder.

Get the Rose Coombes book - it is, as Gwyn very rightly says, very easy to follow.

Add to that Major and Mrs holts battlefield maps (fold up nice and small) and I reckon you are good to go.

This is what I take with me when off trench stomping round the salient.

Fleur

Pieter you have made a wise decision. You can get a real good idea of what you want to see there from these books but by far the best for walking is Paul Reed's walking the Salient, inexpensive, get it.

:D

Hi I would agree with previous posts on Paul Reeds books.

I have been visiting The Somme for past 5 years and had no previous knowledge. With the help of the Battleground series I now have a

good understanding of what happened where. I do not now need a map.

Always lots of help in Tommies bar and always made welcome everywhere we have been ,but watch out for the Alcometer in Tommies!!!

If you need any help of good places to visit to get a good feel of the area then please ask!

Tony

Pieter.

Regarding the Battle of the Somme,another informative book is "The Somme by Chris McCarthy.The Day by Day Account."ISBN 1 860198732.The book as it states gives a day by day account of the engagements from the onslaught on July 1st to November when Haig called the whole thing off. The book is well detailed with maps, photographs and the Battle Order of the opposing armies is also included.

Call at Vimy Ridge and Arras on the way down.

Regards

Frank East

• 1 month later...

There are some excellent guide books mentioned in previous

replies, the ones you choose should be applicable to the area you are

visiting. By consulting these and visiting the various WW1.websites

BEFORE you go will make the trip much more beneficial.

My first trip was with LEGER and although i thoroughly enjoyed

it, the guide doing a 1st. class job, prior preparation would have

made a vast difference.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

I'm going to the Somme the last May bank holiday. Have been lucky enough to get a room at Avril Williams for the Saturday/Sunday but she didn't have any vacancies for the Friday night.

Can any one recommend somewhere near Ypres for the Friday night. It has to be reasonably comfortable as I am taking my 5 month old baby with me. My little boy loves being carried in his baby carrier so he should be fine when we're out and about.

I'm really looking forward to this trip - it's my 40th birthday present from my husband (ironically my birthday is 1st July). I have the Holt book, Rose Coombs' book and Paul Reed's book and numerous others that I have been avidly reading.

I also have two older daughters and the youngest (aged 10) wants to come too - although I do have the option of leaving her at home. Has anyone else taken a child - can a child of that age comprehend what she's seeing? Mind you my interest in WWI started at the same age she is and I would have loved to have gone then.

Kate

Kate,

As regards children I have to admit this is a bit difficult.

My daughter(16) when she visited did not understand(altough having studied WW1 at School including doing a project on the War and being able to show examples of Family involvement(postcards,etc from the Front).She viewed Vimy as an entertainment Park.

Son(12) was suitably "shocked" at the time when he saw his name on a gravestone in France but this awe has now worn off and he is more interested in football!(deep down he remembers but in any case I would not want him to wallow in the past)

Have you any family connections where you can at least show your daughter her surname on a memorial,grave,etc?.She would probably be able to relate to a name.

George

Piet, I am not sure if they still produce it, but Ieper tourist office used to supply a really good leaflet, describing a battlefield tour. It followed a signposted circuit around the area. I think it was called the "14-18 Route". It was really a one day tour, for beginners. The leaflet itself was also very informative.

The tourist office is now located in the Lakenhalle.

Kate

I can highly recommend Charlotte and Dirk's Varlet Farm which is to the north of the Salient. Charlotte can be contacted through the forum or a search for Varlet Farm will get you their website

Michael

Michael

Thanks for the recommendation, I googled for it and found it straight away. I'm going to see if they've got any vacancies for the Friday.

Many thanks

Kate

George

I must admit I find it very hard to comprehend the sheer number of dead involved in WWI so it must be very difficult for a child. Two years ago I took her and her (then) 12 year old sister to Dachu concentration camp – the elder one slightly “understood” what had happened there (although what adult can really understand?) but my younger one at the age of 8 had absolutely no idea whatsoever.

I'll be visiting two graves - my great-uncle who (allegedly) died on the Somme but is buried a few miles away in Hersin Communal cemetery (on the road between Arras and Bethune) and also my grandfather's cousin Gordon Kemp who is buried near Ypres.

Gordon’s date of death was September 1917 which (I think) makes it likely that he was killed at the battle of Passchendaele. In one of those very strange quirks of fate, last year I moved to the town where his family lived nearly 100 years ago (I didn't know this though). Through the wonders of the internet and a distant relation I discovered that he and his brother are both commemorated on my local war memorial (his brother was killed in Rhodesia).

If I do take my younger daughter then I think it will have some relevance for her as she’s seen his name on our war memorial.

Kate

I started taking my son to the Western Front when he was about 7 (he is now 11). He took it all in, behaved impecably and learned more than ever thought possible at such a young age. He enjoys reading my Battleground Europe books, amongst others and carries a trench map with him as we walk.

I think that all of this has encouraged him to learn about many things, not just the war.

We have spent many hours at Avril Williams' guesthouse where he has entered discussions and spoken knowledgeably about many aspects of the war. A number of history teachers we have met there have commented favourably on his knowledge and enthusiasm and wished that there were more like him in their classes.

Even if he lost interest now I think he will always have that knowledge and experience to draw on in the future and since WW1 is on the school curriculum, the numerous visits we have made have helped him with his studies more than any textbook could have done.

I would recommend taking children of any age, but if they are prone to pick up things when they are curious, keep them on a very tight rein whilst out walking.

Regards,

Ken

Hi

I took Danny my 12 year old to The Somme in October as he had been asking for ages to go.

He said afterwards it was his best ever holiday! We have been to Disney in Florida, Spain 8 times, France twice, Canaries twice etc etc so for him to say this made my day! He now wants to go back whenever he can. That is great for me and he reads all of the time about the Somme mainly Battleground series. Danny is a modern kid with modern tastes but if you make it interesting then they will get to understand what it is all about.

I am taking him back in October with my father so 3 generations together.

Tony (Kirky)

This boy helped atart me on the research - I now have his picture and last letters .. I hope to get to Somme with 1Royal Irish but if I don't somebody put a flower on the Thiepval Memorial and take a pic. Cheers des

Rifleman Frank Gamble

MR. John Gamble, The Moat, Kells, received intimation yesterday that his son Rfn. Frank Gamble 12th Royal Irish Rifles has been killed in action. He enlisted in September 1914 prior to which he was a turner in the woollen Mill of

Messrs. John Dinsmore and Son, Old Green. Rfn. Gamble was a member of the local company of the UVF. He is a brother of Mr. Lockhart Gamble, ticket

collector at Ballymena Railway Station and caretaker of the Masonic Hall..

Extract from battle report 12th RI Rifles. Written 8 July by Lt. Col. Bull

No.6 PLATOON

This Platoon was under Lieut. Lemon and was made responsible for the RAILWAY SAP.

The Platoon left our own trenches before Zero at the same time and on the right of the 9th Royal Ir. Fus. but before reaching the RAVINE the whole Platoon with the exception of Lieut. Lemon and twelve men were all casualties.

On reaching the RAVINE Lt. Lemon looked for some supports, but as none were available he advanced with his twelve men to enter the Sap.

When he reached. the Sap he had only nine men left, but he entered the Sap at the Railway bank.

L.Sergt. Millar and three men moved to the right to bomb down the Sap, but, these were soon all casualties.

Lieut. Lemon and the remainder of the men advanced up the main Sap. The thick wires running into the first large tunnel was cut by Rfmn. Gamble who was the first bayonet man.

There was a machine- gun firing across the sap from the small tunnel. Lieut. Lemon, however, climbed above the small tunnel with some bombs in order to catch any Germans who might come out and sent the men on. Lieut. Lemon was then shot by two German officers who fired their rifles at him from the top of a dug out which apparently led into the tunnel.

The two German officers were afterwards killed by a bomb which exploded right at their feet. The remaining men got cut off between the 1st and 2nd German line and only two of them escaped.