The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Flying Corps

Doug Lewis

Angela

Sorry nothing on either men.

Regards Doug

Guest S. Berkshire

Hi Doug - many thanks for your general offer of help. A real long-shot here! My grandfather apparently served in the RFC, according to family lore, but I have no other information other than that he signed up underage. I am planning a trip to Kew soon, but wondered whether there was any information on a Sidney Edwin Tunn from Bedford?

Many thanks.

S. Berkshire

Sorry,there is no mention of a Sydney Edwin Tunn

Regards Doug

Hi Doug,

Through a Google search I just now ran across this forum--and your wonderful offer to do lookups. I have a challenging one, if you'd be willing to take a stab at it. For years now I've been looking for something, anything about my father; the ONLY thing he ever said about his earlier life was that he was in the RAF/RFC in Egypt and the Sudan in WW I. He was, apparently, from Canada, although I don't even know what province.

If this nebulous information isn't enough, his name was Albert Melville SMITH; birthdate 26 January 1897. His mother was a Bella McLeod from Skye, Scotland and his father was, ahem, John Smith.

Based on what I've been able to piece together so far, the service in the Sudan would make it likely that, at least for a time, was was in the 17 Squadron. Is this a reasonable assumption? I have no idea what rank he may have held.

Thank you very much for your any efforts you can make on my behalf!

Tim Smith

smitht@ohio.edu

Tim

Unfortunately, I haven’t found mention of your father. However, I’ve attached the first of three pages (the next two to follow) from Geoffrey Norris’s 1965 book “The Royal Flying Corps” which cover the Sudan campaign. The official version is in Volume V of “The War in the Air” by H A Jones.

I hope this is of some use.

Cheers

post-14-1079466532.jpg

Tim

The final installment. It's not much, but it's something. There's also a very brief mention of the Sudan expedition in Peter Liddle's "The Airmen's War 1914-1918".

Best wishes

post-14-1079466887.jpg

Thanks, Dolphin, for your efforts on my behalf. Ah, it is indeed a curse to by trying to find someone named Smith :(

Thanks also for the pages! For the sake of anyone else interested in the Darfur campaign in the Sudan, there is a twelve-page Appendix in Sir John Slessor's autobiography The Central Blue, which goes into some detail about the operation. He only mentions a couple of officers by name; it's by Googling one of those names, Bannatyne, that I discovered this great Forum.

I think I can see that, at some point, if I am ever going to find any info on my father I'll have to come over to London (I'm in the USA, state of Ohio) and spend some time at the PRO...and hope that my father's service records were NOT among those destroyed in WW II.

Thanks again

Tim Smith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simonfox

Doug

Have you any information on my relative who was killed in 1915, Captain Alan Geoffrey Fox. I have obviously consulted the cwgc site, but thats as much as I have. As one of the first 5 army officers taught to fly I would think there will be more interesting information to glean

Many thanks

Simon Fox

Simon

Captain Alan Geoffrey Fox R.E. and R.F.C.

He was the only surviving son of Mr and Mrs Charles Fox of 30 Ladbrooke Gardens S.W. He was born in 1887 and passed into Woolwich in 1906. His first appointment was in 1908. In 1912 he was seconded for duty with the R.F.C. When killed on May 9th 1915,Capatain Fox was attempting to blow up a bridge behind the German lines.

Regards Doug.

Simon

'Airmen Died' indicates that at the time of his death, Capt Fox of No 3 Squadron RFC was operating Voisin LA No 1877.

I hope this helps.

Guest simonfox

I have spent an evening searching the web for even more information and will no doubt gain more from public records and Hendon, but I am quite surprised not to have found him mentioned in the great variety of sites I have visited where many other names have cropped up. Any more details will be much appreciated. Thank you again one and all.

Simon

'The Sky Their Battlefield' indicates that Capt AG Fox of No 16 Sqn (contrary to 'Airmen Died' which has him in No 3 Sqn) departed his aerodrome at 0300 on 9 May 1915 to bomb the bridge at Don; at 0400 his aircraft (Voisin LA 1877) was hit by anti-aircraft fire over Cambrai and fell near the lines. It appears that the raid on the bridge was a large operation by No 16 Sqn (by the standards of May 1915) with three aircraft lost and a crew member in a fourth wounded.

I hope this helps.

Doug,

Would be grateful for any information you may have on Captain William Harold Haynes DSO of 151st squadron killed 26-9-18.

Bob.

'Airmen Died' says that Capt W H Haynes DSO of No 151 Sqn (formerly 6th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment and No 44 Sqn RAF) was accidentally killed on 26 September 1918 while inspecting the wreckage of his Sopwith Camel.

No 151 Sqn was a night fighter unit. On 1 August 1918 Captain Haynes saw three Gothas over Estrees while he was carrying out an 'intruder' mission behind German lines. He dropped bombs to put out enemy searchlights before attacking one of the Gothas, but lost contact. After a gun jam, he returned to his aerodrome. RAF Communiqué No 18 refers.

During the night of 13 September 1918, flying Camel E5142, Capt Haynes was credited with shooting down an unidentified twin-engined bomber near Bapaume at 21.25 after the enemy aircraft had been caught by searchlights. He sent a Friedrichshafen bomber down in a spiral north east of Bapaume at 21.40 but the victory was not confirmed. RAF Communiqué No 23 refers.

Bob

I only have info up to and including 1917.

Dolphin

Thanks for helping with the info.

Regards Doug

• 1 month later...

John

I have no information.

Regards Doug

John

Lt Duncan John McRae (formerly 77th Battalion, CEF and 50th (Alberta Regiment) Battalion, CEF) was the observer in BE2d 6742 of No 16 Sqn RFC, flown by Lt Percival William Murray, when it was shot down in aerial combat near Thelus, on the Vimy section of the Western Front, while on a photographic mission on 1 February 1917. Both airmen died the following day from from wounds sustained in the combat. 6742 was destroyed by shellfire.

The victory was credited to Leutnant Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen of Jasta 11, who was flying a Halberstadt D.II; it was the 19th of his eventual 80 victories.

A description of the action can be found in 'Under the Guns of the Red Baron' by Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel McCrery, ISBN 1 898697 27 2.

A photograph of Lt McRae is below.

I hope this helps.

post-28-1083963327.jpg

Guest John MacRae

Thank you gentlemen

I am working on a great MacRae genealogy of the many familys that came to

Glengarry County Ontario Canada in the early 1800s. I came across

Duncan John McRae in the local weekly newspaper as missing in action.

He was from East Hawkesbury Township Prescott County,a few miles east of

Glengarry.

John MacRae