Chateau des Trois Tours

Sue Light

Hi Peter,

This is from the War Diary -

Chateau Des Trois Tours

B.28.a.6.11/2

Canal Bank

C.19.C.4.4

These are probably map coordinates relating to trench maps, but I don't know what they really mean. The raid consisted of 4 officers, 11 NCO's and 74 men. They left Chateau Des Trois Tours at 6.15pm and assembled at the Canal Bank at 7.13pm to be addressed by the Brigadier General Commanding. The actual lasted just 36 minutes and was considered a success with 1 German prisoner, some papers and 15 enemy accounted for. 2 of the officers were seriously wounded, as were a number of O.R.'s.my great uncle among them - none killed.

That's all I know, so any help would be appreciated.

Sue

Sue here is a map with the two map references marked. The Chateau is circled, with the assembly point which is on the canal tow path. You can see theystill had some distance to the German (in red) trenches.

Peter

post-2649-0-56159400-1430898609_thumb.jp

That's great, Peter. Do you know where I can get a larger version of this trench map?

Sue.

Sue I had to shrink it fron A4 to be able to post it, if you pm me your email address I'll send it as A4.

Peter

PS does your war diary give info or map references on the actual raid?

HI Peter,

Tried sending you a pm, but keep getting message saying 'mebu not receiving any new messages'! Maybe you can try sending a pm to me and I can give you my email address?

Sue

• 6 years later...

Not sure if this thread is still active but if it is and if anyone is still interested (!) I might mention that "Mark Severn" in his book The Gambardier describes (in not too great detail it has to be said) the stay of 244 Siege Bty RGA at tbe Kasteel de Drie Torren, June/Ju;ly 1917.