Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chateau des Trois Tours

Sue Light

A search throws up a couple of threads where this HQ is mentioned, but I wondered if anyone could actually place the location on a modern map for me? In the autumn of 1918 it became the home for a while to No.44 Casualty Clearing Station:

I then left for Ypres, to visit Nos.11, 36, and 44 CCS at Brielen, a little to the West of Ypres …

… I found No.11, 36, and 44 CCS’s had only been open and working 48 hours, but except for the enormous shell holes in all parts of the neighbourhood, it was difficult to realise that the Units had not been working for at least a month. They were well established and the patients being well cared for.

Nos.11 and 36 CCS had accommodation under canvas for the Nursing Staffs, while the staff of No.44 CCS were established in a bomb and shell proof shelter, which until the advance had been Army Headquarters since 1914. The shelter was built in and under an old farm-house, which had constantly been bombed, leaving merely the walls and part of the roof, and inside this a wonderful structure had been erected, lighted by electricity and supplied with telephonic communication to all parts of France. The structure consisted of various rooms connected by passages, and one quite nice sitting-room with a big brick fire-place. As well as being protected by several feet of concrete, which completely covered the structure, it was well sand-bagged. The staff were most comfortably established there, the only draw-back being the large quantities of rats, which had been a great nuisance, but which were gradually being got rid of.

Sue

Chateau des Trois Tours is now called Kast. drie Torens in Dutch.

It is located to the west of Brielen, which is north west of Ypres on the road to Elverdinge (N8).

Hope this helps,

Martin

Martin

Thank you, yes, I can see it now - I was still thinking in French, though now I realise the name's the same - but this must be post-war of course. But at least I can pinpoint the site - I shall go and have a look. The good news is that this doesn't appear to be under an estate of chalet bungalows :)

Sue

• 1 month later...

Just to finish this story off - two photos, the first the Chateau des Trois Tours just before the Great War when it was the home of banker Georges Breydel:

And the second the Chateau today - I didn't go and ask if I could inspect their cellars :)

Sue

I managed to get them the wrong way round, but you get the idea - during the war I believe it was the Headquarters of Canadian 1st Division.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for posting the images of Chateau des Trois Tours. Interesting to see these as my grandfather was based here during July 1917 with 5th Siege Battery RGA (though I doubt it looked quite as majestic then as it did prior to 1914!).

Steve

• 1 month later...

Chateau des Trois Tours Pictures

I have quite a few personal photographs and postcards of the Chateau dea Trois Tours, Brielen. Quite a few years ago, I discovered the Chateau was mentioned in the War Diary relating to the regiment of a late Great-Uncle. Believing it to be a hotel at the time, I wrote asking for a brochure! On a visit to Belguim soon after, my husband and I were given the chance to have a look around the now private home. If anyone is interested, please send me a pm and I'll oblige. Some images I can send quite quickly ... the photographs in question will have to be digitally copied because they were taken before I had a digital camera. Heather

• 9 months later...
A search throws up a couple of threads where this HQ is mentioned, but I wondered if anyone could actually place the location on a modern map for me? In the autumn of 1918 it became the home for a while to No.44 Casualty Clearing Station:

I then left for Ypres, to visit Nos.11, 36, and 44 CCS at Brielen, a little to the West of Ypres …

… I found No.11, 36, and 44 CCS's had only been open and working 48 hours, but except for the enormous shell holes in all parts of the neighbourhood, it was difficult to realise that the Units had not been working for at least a month. They were well established and the patients being well cared for.

Nos.11 and 36 CCS had accommodation under canvas for the Nursing Staffs, while the staff of No.44 CCS were established in a bomb and shell proof shelter, which until the advance had been Army Headquarters since 1914. The shelter was built in and under an old farm-house, which had constantly been bombed, leaving merely the walls and part of the roof, and inside this a wonderful structure had been erected, lighted by electricity and supplied with telephonic communication to all parts of France. The structure consisted of various rooms connected by passages, and one quite nice sitting-room with a big brick fire-place. As well as being protected by several feet of concrete, which completely covered the structure, it was well sand-bagged. The staff were most comfortably established there, the only draw-back being the large quantities of rats, which had been a great nuisance, but which were gradually being got rid of.

Sue

Hi Sue

i just came across your post regarding Chateaux trois tours. I hope you don't mind ,e writing. I put a question on yesterday relating to this and was pointed in your direction! I'm looking for any info and noticed that i cannot see the photos you originally posted. Any chance you could send me them? My G G G Uncle was wounded near there in 1916 and i'm fascinated to llearn what i can.

cheers

Tim

• 2 years later...

Just to finish this story off - two photos, the first the Chateau des Trois Tours just before the Great War when it was the home of banker Georges Breydel:

And the second the Chateau today - I didn't go and ask if I could inspect their cellars smile.gif

Sue

Hi Sue

Would it be possible for me to see your photo of the chateau before the war. My GGrandfather was there in 1915 before he was killed.

I am hoping to see the area as it is now myself in a couple of weeks when I go to visit his grave.

Regards Paula

Paula

I was interested in this as well and forum member SFayers posted this:

Roger

post-42671-0-77610400-1304968022.jpg

And the current Chateau from Google Earth

Roger

post-42671-0-98566100-1304968703.jpg

Hi Paula,

If memory serves (which it doesn't always!) I seem to recall the image Sue originally posted on this thread was of the same pre-war picture postcard or if not a very similar view as the one my pal scanned for me (i.e. the one in Roger's post).

Are you visiting the Chateau itself when you are there? If you are, I wonder if you'd be able to take a photo for me please? In July 1917 the RGA Siege Battery my grandfather served in was located more-or-less in the area where I've drawn the red ellipse on the following Google Earth image, just to the north of the Chateau grounds. If it is possible for you to take a photo of this general area from the tree-lined road / lane approaching the Chateau (i.e. the one off the Brielen road) for me I would be extremely grateful; but if it's not practicable to do so then please don't worry!

post-2839-0-59703300-1304971089.jpg

Many thanks and kind regards

Steve

Yes, one that I posted was exactly the same as the one above, and I have a second one - I'll look it out and post it in a minute.

Steve - I have a few of the general area, but just missed the view you wanted. In this one I was standing just below your red circle, looking across the field to the farm buildings opposite - not sure what the attraction was! I didn't notice the Siege Battery on my left :w00t:

troistoursg.jpg

Sue

Thanks Sue,

Yes, I can see where you were taking the photo from - you're looking out towards Brielen Farm (or at least the site of Brielen Farm as on the trench maps). I'm surprised the sound of the 6 inch howitzers firing didn't make you jump! :D

Kind regards

Steve

Steve

An indication of the stagnation in that sector - my Grandfather's 18 pounder RFA Battery was on the road in front of Brielen Farm two years earlier!

Roger

Hi Roger,

Amazing isn't it? It surprises me that even by the late spring / early summer of 1917 the Chateau area was considered by those stationed there as a 'cushie' spot, at least until that point the area having received relatively little attention by German artillery - that all changed from end June / July 1917 onwards of course!

Did you manage to get a copy of the London Gunners?

cheers

Steve

Did you manage to get a copy of the London Gunners?

cheers

Steve

Steve

In the end I went for Farndale's History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Western Front 1914-18.

Roger

Steve

In the end I went for Farndale's History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Western Front 1914-18.

Roger

Recently bought that one myself; I've yet to read it though!

All the best

Steve

Thankyou everyone---that's brilliant information. I will try and get the photo you want Steve.

Paula

Thankyou everyone---that's brilliant information. I will try and get the photo you want Steve.

Paula

Many thanks Paula,

It would be great if you can manage to take a photo - but if not please don't worry!

I hope you have a great trip.

Kind regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paula,

If memory serves (which it doesn't always!) I seem to recall the image Sue originally posted on this thread was of the same pre-war picture postcard or if not a very similar view as the one my pal scanned for me (i.e. the one in Roger's post).

Are you visiting the Chateau itself when you are there? If you are, I wonder if you'd be able to take a photo for me please? In July 1917 the RGA Siege Battery my grandfather served in was located more-or-less in the area where I've drawn the red ellipse on the following Google Earth image, just to the north of the Chateau grounds. If it is possible for you to take a photo of this general area from the tree-lined road / lane approaching the Chateau (i.e. the one off the Brielen road) for me I would be extremely grateful; but if it's not practicable to do so then please don't worry!

post-2839-0-59703300-1304971089.jpg

Many thanks and kind regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Have just got back from France/Belgium and managed to get your photo. This was taken from the W tip of the playing field looking NW. I have cropped and resized the original but if you would like me to send that and a couple of other similar ones I took then if you could let me know your email address somehow I can send them too--they are approx 5-6 Mb each

post-71126-0-66592600-1306493954.jpg

Paula

Hi Paula,

That's really superb! It looks like you had cracking weather whilst you were there. Many thanks for taking the time to take the photos for me!

My email address is s.fayers 'at' abdn.ac.uk (just replace the 'at' with the normal @ symbol). Would you mind if I included one of the photos on my website commemorating those who served in 5 Siege Battery RGA during WWI when it's eventually finished? You would, of course, be acknowledged.

Many thanks again and kind regards

Steve

• 3 years later...

Following on from this old messages, they have given me a bit more insight about the Chateau des Trois Tours. My great-uncle, Pte. Arthur Price, 13th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. was in the area in October 1916. The War Diary gives the Chateau as his location as the starting point for the trench raid he was involved with on the 12th October. A trench raid where he returned as a casualty and sadly died of wounds the next day. Does anyone know how far the Chateau was from the front line? I am trying to pinpoint the exact location where he was fatally injured and although I have visited the battlefield many times, I still haven't found the spot.

Sue.

Sue, I don't know which area was raided, but the distance from the chateau to the front is 3-4 km.

The battalion diary may give some info on the raid, also the brigade diary may have plan or report on the raid. If you post that on the forum I'm sure someone will help.

Peter

PS REs generally accompanied an infantry raid, and often have good records, so the RE diary (probably123 RE coy, or 124/151 RE coys) may be worth a look.