Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Things to keep the other half occupied in Ypres

redorchestra

I hope this is not too wildly o/t, although I imagine many of you will have experienced a similar predicament ;)

I am planning to visit Ypres from 22/25 May this year. I aim to see as much of Ypres as possible, but I just wanted to know whether anyone can recommend any other non-great war related things to do in the area for my partners benefit?

Any historic sites, nice walks etc?

Also can anyone recommend any good restaurants in the area?

Cheers!

Darryl

Guest KevinEndon

I am going to superglue my darling wife's butt to a chair and tell the landlord to keep plying her with chips and wine, I will return after 8 hours and remove her from the chair and stick her in the hotel bed for the rest of the day whilst I go touring again.

There are plenty shops, bars etc in the square, how many hours touring are you planning because I dont think the best shopper in the world could pass more than 3 hours shopping in wypers.

I must be the exception to the rule, my wife takes an immense interest in everything to do with the Great War, off the our second home at Varlet Farm in July the third visit in 18 months, for a week at a time. Out with me every day whilst there visiting Cemeteries and outher points of WW1 interest. I count myself ectremely lucky, have booked for the 1918 Seminar ot Ipswich in March with the wife of course.

John

To be honest, my trips to Ypres for the past few years consist of anything but the Great War (Ok, with the odd exception) and , if any WW1 "tourism" is to be done, it's usually restricted to an hour or so in the evening. There is plenty of un-WW1 related things to do, both in the town and in the surrounding area, from a nice stroll on the ramparts, through the various non-war museums to the cheese museum near Passendale, boat trips and fishing to just sitting at a cafe-bar or tea room and just watching the world go by. Ieper (as a town) isn't half as relaxing to visit as it used to be, but it still beats where I am now!

The tourist office has plenty of ideas if you get stuck.

Dave

My wife absolutely loves the shops in Ypres! Anything to do with shoes, handbags and jewellery keeps her happy. :)

Steve

P.S. Don't forget Hans DeGroot Chocolate shop!

Bruges is within easy reach by train. A day trip there is always well worth while, an enchanting place, shops, boat tours around the canals, horse carriages great restaurants and shops. SG

Drop her off at the IKEA at Lille, come back 8 hours later and she will still be aimlessly following the stick on footsteps on the floor comme un mouton

We went to Ypres last year and on the way my wife just had to go to IKEA to end up buying 2 lightbulbs ! Dont blame her - i'm the idiot that married her !!

As others have said, there are plenty of nice shops and interesting places in and around Ieper and someone else has mentioned Bruges.

However, to offer something a little further afield... Last year, when we stayed at Varlet Farm, I despatched my wife and my son's girlfriend off to Brussels for one of the days. They got a direct train from Ieper at breakfast time and were back at about 7:30pm. Brussels has designer shops, arcades, museums, galleries, cathedral, mannekin-pis, atomium, etc, etc. That gave me and the boys time to visit great-uncle's grave and where he was killed (thanks again to Croonaert for help in finding location), Messines, Plugstreet, Zonnebeke museum, etc. Everyone happy!

Tom

As they say, do everything in moderation! My wife was not into military history at all so with a bit of give and take -join her for some shopping, then do some touring then eat, it works well! My wife loves Ypres (although not as much a Brugges). She found the Cloth Hall fascinating and Sanctuary Wood too. Go there on a Saturday and make it in time for the market in the square, that wil keep her busy I am sure.

Although I dont think my wife is taking any of the touring in, she now knows a lot more about the Gt War than she did, but i wont push my luck more than that!

Bruges is within easy reach by train. A day trip there is always well worth while, an enchanting place, shops, boat tours around the canals, horse carriages great restaurants and shops. SG

How do you get there by train from Ypres?

There are a number of good walks. Go to the Tourist Info which has excellent walking maps. The coast is fairly close with miles of sandy beaches and some of the towns have good shopping centres and restaurants. You can also hire bikes in Ypres.

Luckily for me, my wife is happy to travel around with me. Although she does take in one or two good walks on her own if I am meeting people for WW1 related stuff (and drinks :rolleyes: ) The Palingbeek is particularly pleasant and can be reached along the old canal route from Ypres.

Steve m

John,

my wife must be an exception too. She takes a great interest in everywhere we go and now has her own "wish list" of places and things to see on each trip. Becoming a fairly expert photographer as well.

Although my wife thinks that our 10 yr old Granddaughter will love a bus and train trip to Bruges, rather than driving. Looks like I will be doing it ( :huh: ) and can report back.

Oh Joy.

sm

i'm the idiot that married her !!

Oddly enough, my wife comments that she's the idiot that married me.

How do you get there by train from Ypres?

The station is just at the west end of Ypres. Enquireis at the Ypres Tourist info site or other train enquiry sites should give you the info. On our last WFA trip several friends who had come along elected for a day out by train to Bruges. they didnt find it any sort of problem and had a good day out. Cant remember if it was a direct train or if they had to change but they didnt experience any sort of difficulty. SG

Cant remember if it was a direct train or if they had to change but they didnt experience any sort of difficulty. SG

You have to change at Kortrijk.

Ieper - Kortrijk - Brugge, and the same in reverse. It's no problem, but ,dependant on timings, there might be half an hour wait or so at Kortrijk.

Dave.

I'm not sure but it may be possible to travel the full length of the Belgian coast by tram. One certainly runs from Knokke Heist to Ostend, it may continue right through to De Panne. This way it would be possible to drop off and explore places like Blankenberg, De Hann, Ostend etc, not to mention the Russian submarine and Belgian light ship and marine museum at the marina adjacent to Zeebrugge. Certainly when I'm driving from Dunkirk to the ferry at Zeebrugge the tramline runs through each and every coastal town I travel through.

Certainly a day would fly by, in fact a day would not be long enough to see all there is to see.

Regards

Tom

I would vote for the train trip to Brussels. I like Bruges but the train to Brussels is direct whereas Bruges needs a change, I think it's Roeselare, and is no quicker. Mind you my better half is another one who is perfectly happy to drag round the battlefields with me; as long as i can find the occasional bar/cafes with toilet.

Enjoy your trip

Garth

I've just checked and the tram line is indeed the longest in the world covering the whole of the Belgian coat, 68 Kms, 70 tram stops.

post-5284-1204562150.jpg

post-5284-1204562162.jpg

This above is the attractive De Haan tram station

regards

Tom

The first time I took my wife to a foreign counrty was Belgium and the place ?

Ypres of course !

Well it was my /our honeymoon (May 1975) there was no shortage of interesting things to do.

All true......Bob Grundy