Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Civilian War Dead of the Great War

chrisharley9

Chris.

I have just noticed that the 'More Details from the Petition Creaor' section does not make sense - some words seem to have gone missing from the first sentance. Are you able to correct it?

Neil

Neil

I dont know what happened there - the missing words are "are remembered by the Commonwealth war Graves Commission" - the day I posted it I had PC probs galore - will contact to see if this can be rectified

Chris

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would bump this up again. I believe the number of people signing the petition is now enough to guarantee a response but there do not seem to have been many new signatories of late and I think it needs a bit more publicity.

NEW GWF OWNERS!! - is there any way the link to the petition could be more obvious on the site or included in the confirmatory email to new members - personally I think it is quite important.

Neil

Neil

thanks very much for your support

Please could I ask those of you who have their own sites to post a link on that site

Please let any like minded friends know

All The Best

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Just bringing this to the top again - please sign if you are in agreement

Chris

While I have every sympathy for the motion, I just did a very quick check on civilian deaths recorded by the CWGC for the period 19414-1921. This turned up 461 results. So I fail to see how the civilians have been ignored, missed off- not reported yes, but not ignored. As such does this require a constitutional change of the CWGC?

Alan

Alan

Those civilians recorded by CWGC are not 'civilians' in the normal sense of the word.

They are members of certain organisations which qualify for War Graves status under certain additional conditions. They are regarded as quasi-military.

This thread is about true civilians - and there would be several thousands of them - passengers on ships, air raid victims etc.

Such a move would require CWGC's Royal Charter to be amended and, before that could happen, agreement would have to be obtained from the member countries Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and India - as well as the UK.

Seems like the question is missing. Lets see if I can answer a question which was only, well whatever.

Some names are undoubtedly missed off the CWGC records, I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Not reported - The local civil authority is responsible for notifying the CWGC of people, civilians (at least of the 2nd WW) and service personnel.

Ignored - does anybody really believe that any of the dead are IGNORED?

Does the charter for the CWGC for WW2 differ from that of WW1?

Ghost

To answer the last part of your post....

CWGC's Royal Charter of 1917 has been amended a number of times - most significantly to add responsibility for the care of the graves of Commonwealth military war dead of WW2 and to maintain a list of their names. Another amendment gave them responsibilty for recording the names of WW2 civilians who were killed by enemy action (but not responsibility for maintaining their graves).

They have no such responsibility for WW1.

• 3 months later...

Once more bringing this to the top - please sign if you agree

• 4 months later...

Could I make a final appeal for anyone who wishes to sign to do so as the petition closes on March 1st

Chris