Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Civilian War Dead of the Great War

chrisharley9

I have now created a petion at the No 10 E Petition site - I think it is about time for those civilians who died through enemy action to receive their due recognition alongside the victims of the Second World War

Click Here to View & Sign the Petition

Can I ask that those of you who are interested in this petition to pass the link on to friends who may be like minded

Please note that British citizens abroad are able to sign the peition

For Commonwealth citizens can you please bring this to the attention of your governments

For Commonwealth citizens living in the UK can you please write to your high commissions

Thats go for a result on this one

Chris

Thanks very much

In our area of interest we have the WW1 bombardments of Hartlepool and Seaham. We believe that these casualties are war casualties and should be recorded as such. It will be a mammoth task to research them all. (but very worthwhile)

Keep the candle burning.

John & Kathleen

I totally agree with you on that one - as my Mrs is from Lowestoft I also have an interest in the casualties that were killed in the bombardments of our coast

Chris

Chris your posting says civilians who died as a result of enemy action but the petition does not it just says who died. This is an area with very fuzzy edges and I think whilst I would completely agree in principle we do need to be more precise abount what is covered. For example many munition workers died as a result of their war work but not directly from enemy action. Some munitions workers will have died of causes completely unconnected with their work. CWGC are quite clear for men in the forces - if you were serving and died, no matter how, you're comemorated. Can you apply such a simple and clear definition to civilians? Would for example anyone doing war work who died be commemorated? How would you define war work? Would a railway man who died during the period be commemorated for example?

Victims of the bombardments and air raids are nice and simple and easy to define as would, say passengers on ships sunk by enemy action. from my experience in dealing with Whitehall your petition needs to be more precise to have any chance of getting through the mandarins who even if ordered to proceed with it will spend days and weeks nit picking until the whole thing becomes unworkable and gets quietly shelved.

Centurion

I think to make it workable then it would have to be based on the same criteria as the Second World War civilian dead in that they would have to had died as a result of enemy action - as much as I would love to see the munitions workers be honoured I dont see it as very workable

Chris

Thanks to everyone who has signed so far

Centurion

I think to make it workable then it would have to be based on the same criteria as the Second World War civilian dead in that they would have to had died as a result of enemy action

I'd agree but your petition just says civilian war dead and I fear that it may be too broad and open to interpretation to succeed. I'm fully in support of the idea just not totally siezed that the petition as constituted will fly.

35 signatures so far - thanks to all concerned

Chris

I'd agree but your petition just says civilian war dead and I fear that it may be too broad and open to interpretation to succeed. I'm fully in support of the idea just not totally siezed that the petition as constituted will fly.

So you agree in principle - therefore do soemthing - write to your MP - this isnt about civil servants hiding behind words this about doing something that should be done - NOT ONE WILL BE FORGOTTEN

Chris

Another thought - could those of you with you own websites please put a link in to the petition please

Chris

Good idea Chris! I support you 100%.

I must say there are a few names missing from the petition that I would have expected to be at the very top.... Nothing as queer as folk!

I have added a prominent link on Kentfallen which will hopefully generate a few more.

Neil

Neil

thanks very much for inserting the link

Chris

103 signatures so far - thanks to all have signed & to those who inserted links etc

Now half way to the figure required for an offical response

Chris

111 signatures now. Whilst some of the Pals have come up with valid points, I think that an official response is called for.

Roxy

Roxy

I would like to see thousands - a way to go yet

Chris

Chris,

Have signed, but also think that there should be some sort of parameter laid down as to who to include, under what conditions they died and in what sort of time frame?

Grant

Grant

It would have to be the same conditions as WW2 & the dates as those that already are in force for the Great War

Have already been in touch with Terry Denham about this

Chris

When I first began looking into casualties of the Great War, I was told there were NO civilian casualties. It seems to me that it's something of which many people aren't aware.

I've signed the petition, as have other people who are volunteers on the Dover War Memorial Project, and I've put a link up on our DWMP Virtual Memorial website, and also on two other forums.

We have, incidentally, a number of civilian casualties buried in our cemeteries, both those who died in our town from bombardments and raids, and those who were lost at sea near our port.

Chris

My name added and link passed on to others.

I am researching my old school memorial which includes 3 young brothers killed in a Zepplin Raid.

It would be nice to see them officially commemorated.

Neil

When I first began looking into casualties of the Great War, I was told there were NO civilian casualties. It seems to me that it's something of which many people aren't aware.

I've signed the petition, as have other people who are volunteers on the Dover War Memorial Project, and I've put a link up on our DWMP Virtual Memorial website, and also on two other forums.

We have, incidentally, a number of civilian casualties buried in our cemeteries, both those who died in our town from bombardments and raids, and those who were lost at sea near our port.

Maggie

First of all thanks for signing & putting the link in - had a look at your site last night - I must say it is very good

Personally I think that the many of the civilian casualties will come from sunken passenger ships as well as air raid & bombardment victims

Chris

Neil

thank you very much

Chris

Now up to 157 signatures - please sign if you are in agreement

Chris

May I point out that the petition has now been signed by the Chief of the Defence Staff

Chris