The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regiment/Kings (Liverpool Regiment)

petesmate

Hello all,

I wonder if someone can help me out with this request.

Granddad enlisted into the Essex Regiment Edward Matthews service No 3435, which later became Kings (Liverpool Regiment) service No 325001, 1st/8th Battalion

Firstly can someone confirm if

1/8th (Irish) Battalion (known as the Liverpool Irish) is the same one.

I have been browsing the Kings Regiment and Long Long Trail etc, to try and get some info on the War Diaries, without a lot of success.

I do have his medal card, and if someone can point me in the right direction to try and get some info on his whereabouts from 15-6-15 to 23-9-17 when he was killed in action.

I think he was with the Essex Regiment for most of the time, can anyone help with when 3435 was issued, and maybe his battalion.

And how I could trace his travels in that battalion after he left England on 15th June 1915.

Hope I am not asking too much with this request, thanks in advance.

Peter J Matthews.

Hi Peter

Welcome to the Forum

Yes 8th (1/8th) aka Liverpool Irish.

Sorry not up on numbering.

But note that the Soldiers Died CD has him as Died Of Wounds, not KIA.

Glyn

Peter

The Times on 13th November 1915 reported 3/3435 Pte E Matthews 9th Battalion Essex as Wounded in Action. 9th Battalion casualties in that list are from around 19th and 20th October 1915. Pages 19-21 of the Burrows history of the Essex covers the period. If you ask Grandson Michael on the forum he can probably give you scans of the relevant sections of Burrows (Hi Michael)

3/3435 was a Special Reserve Number and indicates enlistment in the 3rd Essex in October 1914. Matthews was part of a draft of Essex men who transferred to the Kings Liverpool. All of them seem to have been wounded previously so I assume they had been posted back to the depot to recover from wounds.

So in summary: Joined 3rd Essex in October 1914, to France with 9th Essex 15.6.15 wounded 19-20 October 1915. To depot Essex Regt until 1917 when posted to the King's.

Best I can do!

Regards

Owen

The Times on 13th November 1915 reported 3/3435 Pte E Matthews 9th Battalion Essex as Wounded in Action. 9th Battalion casualties in that list are from around 19th and 20th October 1915. Pages 19-21 of the Burrows history of the Essex covers the period. If you ask Grandson Michael on the forum he can probably give you scans of the relevant sections of Burrows (Hi Michael)

Saving Michael a job. I'm sure he wont mind :lol:

Glyn

post-5500-1204319472.jpg

post-5500-1204319525.jpg

Hi Peter, welcome to this Forum!

Hi Owen. P.B. & Glyn! :D Thanks Glyn, saves me a lot of swearing, I mean sweating, whilst trying to get the pages to fit into a 100 kB straight jacket.... :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

Hi,

Thank you kindly to all who replied and given me some information.

As you say he was wounded and was posted back to the depot, well he must have got back home to the East End, West Ham.

One of his sons was born 20 April 1917, Edward was KIA or died of wounds 23 September 1917, so he must have been home in January to make her pregnant! so it looks as though he returned to France before his child was born.

I will continue to browse the War Diaries and see if I can work out the movements, can someone answer this question, would he have been on the Western Front!

Thanks again, this will enable me to practice my web page writing to add to my TribalPages family history site.

Kind regards.

Peter

The 1/8th Bn King's Liverpool Regiment (Liverpool irish, took part in the Battle of the Menin Road, from 20th September. This was part of the 1917 offensive the Third Battle of Ypres, or 'Passchaendale'.

They were fighting in the Wieltje sector, across what is now just north of the beginning of the A19 motorway and on towards the Gravenstafel ridge.

Ken

Hi,

Thank you kindly for the info Ken, I have had a browse of you website very interesting, nicely laid out, looks very professional, nice one.

Good luck.

Peter.