The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield Tours

brownegaz

After having done as much research as I am able to do from Western Australia I am now planning to travel to France and Belgium next year to retrace some of my grand fathers steps during his time with the RFA in 300, 302 and 95 Brigades around the Arras area, and his service with the Labour Corps, can someone please tell me if there are organised tours available that my wife and I can join that will cover the main western front battlefield sites, we plan to travel around September next year.

Thanks for any replies

Gary

We have people on here with knowledge and experience of tours but the quick answer is yes. Do a google on Western Front tours or anything like that and you will turn up quite a few companies large and small who will send you a brochure. Most are on the web as well.

Gary.

The only issue with organised tours from your perspective is that they (not surprisingly) largely concentrate on the infantry and what they were doing during a particular action. If you want a general overview of the battle that is fine but if you want to to visit the actual areas where your grandfather and his unit would have been for a particular battle you will either need to do it yourself or have a guide do you a bespoke tour. Ideally, if you have the time, do a general Arras tour with a battle tour company and then a day or two on your own specifically looking into your grandfather's role and using your own research.

Best of luck.

Neil