Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tower Hill Memorial

Paul Reed

Great photos Paul, the figure is very impressive. Have you met his four 'Shipmates' at the Chatham Naval Memorial?

(Clickable)

th_P2080058.jpg

th_P2080033.jpg

I know them, but I haven't been to the Chatham Memorial for years; I pass it every time I go to London; really must get up there sometime.

Paul

nice photos mate

Chris

Is that on your website Neil?

Whatever, I must get up there again sometime.

Paul,

I have made up a PDF report on Kentfallen which displays only a few of the pictures. It wouldn't be practical to include all the photos because their are literally hundreds of plates all 6MP+. If anyone wants the whole set then all they have to do is email me and I shall send a CD with them all on.

The website contains 6GB of work which by using PDF's compresses down to only 600MB. It cuts down on the hosting costs. I only pay 1&1 £5.99 a month for hosting it.

Of late I'm starting to think I have taken on too much. Perhaps I should concentrate just on Kent War Memorials and Non-Comms? I'm a bit embarrassed about some work which remains incomplete.

I would mention that my mate Dave Hughes is responsible for most of the transcriptions. I'm actually quite worried because he spends most days doing it (16 hour day normal).... But theres no telling him!

All the best.

Neil

I visited the Chatham Memorial some months back.

Very sad to learn that occasionally it suffers from I believe spray paint vandalism.

Paul

They are all good but that second photo in particular is a cracker.

Regards

Mike S

Thanks Mike, it was my first 'memorial' outing for my new Canon EOS, so I was quite pleased with the results.

Paul

The Canon EOS explains a lot. I'm now very very jealous!

It looks as though its as good a camera as its reputation (and then some).

All the best

Mike S

Thanks very much.

I have never visited the Tower Hill Memorial but it is where my Great Uncle Charles Prior aged 17 is commemorated (as a civilian rather than Merchant Navy)

No. 1 Pilot Boat "Alfred H. Read" which went down on 28 December 1917 somewhere near the Mersey Bar when she struck a mine. My grandmother (his sister) never really got over it.

Ian

Paul

The Canon EOS explains a lot. I'm now very very jealous!

It looks as though its as good a camera as its reputation (and then some).

All the best

Mike S

Hi Mike - yes, I'm very pleased. I stopped using 'proper' SLRs when the early digital ones came in and I have been using Fujis for a while, but the EOS is an incedible camera, and I find myself having to relearn some of the old skills again, which is not a bad thing. I am looking forward to properly testing it out in F/F now!

Would recommend checking out Photoplus magazine if you are thinking of buying one - they give a very honest opinion of the camera and it's kit, plus lots of tips on using it. See: PhotoPlus

Paul, In my project re WW1 serving female casualties Jonathan Saunders kindly obtained most of the names that I needed off the Tower Hill Memorial. Some of the names he was unable to get because they were inaccessible. By this I think he meant that they were too high to be photographed - at least with his camera. Or it might be that from ground level the names slant on looking up making them unreadable. I think probably the first. I am very happy with the photographs that he produced but with all the hype about your super-duper camera I wonder if you took any photographs of the higher panels that included female names. Jim