Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

78th Siege Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery

majorsam

The grandfather of a friend of mine served with the 78th Siege Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery and was kia on 30th June 1918 in France. He was Gunner James Henry Parry no. 156286.

I'm trying to find out where this battalion were on that day and which particular battle he died.

I searched The Long, Long Trail but the RGA was not listed.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter, the War Diary for the 78th (S) Battery is available at the National Archives in WO 95/396, it's not available online yet, but it can be requested. The base cost of £8.50 gets you 10 pages which is around a months worth,

cheers, Jon

Peter,

78 Siege Battery went out to the Western Front in April 1916 with 4 x 8 in Howitzers. In Jan 1918 they were made up to 6 Hows, with the extra personnel joining from 438 SB.

With his number 156286, he would of been one of this reinforcement batch, so went out to the WF on the 18 Jan 1918. The official 78 SB diary ends at Feb 1918 so will not enlighten you further. The higher formation Brigade they were with at the time of his death was the 88th., fighting along side 123, 258 and 328 SB’s. All with 6 in hows.

CWGC shows two from the battery were killed on that day, Parry and 2 Lt W T Squire. Parry (nor any other OR) is not mentioned in the Bde diary, Squire is recorded as “ killed in action in the battery's rear position”. The position is given as near WAILLY, and the 78th appear to have been on counter battery work with aeroplane observation for most of that month.

Rgds Paul

• 1 year later...
The grandfather of a friend of mine served with the 78th Siege Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery and was kia on 30th June 1918 in France. He was Gunner James Henry Parry no. 156286.

I'm trying to find out where this battalion were on that day and which particular battle he died.

I searched The Long, Long Trail but the RGA was not listed.

Regards

Peter

Hi I am researching my Grandfather Samuel Neil 438 SB then 78 SB; his service number was 156044 so very close to that of your friends grandfather.I understand that the 78SB diary in France ends Feb 1918 and have tried to order this online but the document is too large although I have tried again to order just the 78SB diary for the month.

I have some service records for him from the NA but they are difficult to read but state that he was demobbed due to "debility" and exposure to ???? and I would really like to try and find out what the battery/was engaged in at the time. Could it have been gas or is it more likely it was just as a result of the conditions etc; I understand lots of soldiers suffered as much from the conditions as from enemy engagement.

If i get a copy of the diary I will let you know.

Chris Neil

• 5 years later...

I am researching my husband's gt uncle who was in the 78th Siege Battery. His service number was 156163 RGA, Pte Benjamin Howarth, quite close to your Grandfather's No Christopher Neil. He was wounded ? 3.8.1918 and was sent back to England - embarking at Cherbourg. He proceeded to Oswestry Discharge Centre for release as demobilised. He was one of the lucky ones who survived the war. I too would like to know how he was injured and what battle the battery were involved in at the time. His wound was BSWFH (or A). No idea what that was. I'm busy Googling to see what I can find. Not an easy task. Good luck with your research.

Margaret

Likely to be GSW not BSW - gun shot wound which is a general term for a wound by either bullet or shell. The second part usually has left or right. could it be GSWRA - gun shot wound right arm.

Mark

Likely to be GSW not BSW - gun shot wound which is a general term for a wound by either bullet or shell. The second part usually has left or right. could it be GSWRA - gun shot wound right arm.

Mark

Please see other thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228090&hl=

It's the unit he was received from, not an injury.

Possibly 1/2 SMFA, or 1/3 SMFA

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr. Then its a field hospital. He proceeded to a CCS so that makes sense. Mystery solved.

Thanks for the info and link.

Margaret

• 8 years later...
On 28/02/2008 at 11:34, ororkep said:

Peter,

78 Siege Battery went out to the Western Front in April 1916 with 4 x 8 in Howitzers. In Jan 1918 they were made up to 6 Hows, with the extra personnel joining from 438 SB.

With his number 156286, he would of been one of this reinforcement batch, so went out to the WF on the 18 Jan 1918. The official 78 SB diary ends at Feb 1918 so will not enlighten you further. The higher formation Brigade they were with at the time of his death was the 88th., fighting along side 123, 258 and 328 SB’s. All with 6 in hows.

CWGC shows two from the battery were killed on that day, Parry and 2 Lt W T Squire. Parry (nor any other OR) is not mentioned in the Bde diary, Squire is recorded as “ killed in action in the battery's rear position”. The position is given as near WAILLY, and the 78th appear to have been on counter battery work with aeroplane observation for most of that month.

Rgds Paul

Can I ask where you sourced this information as my grandfather was in 78SB and the dates you mention exactly fit as in 18/01/1917 and he joined 78SB from 438SB

Chris

Chris,

Everything I posted way back then in 2008 were sourced from the 78 Sge Bty WD and the 88 Brigade WD and CWGC. I've just double checked and its all there.

Rgds Paul

Hi paul

back then you couldn’t download the WD which you can now and I have done but the WD for 78SB ends in feb and I couldn’t find much in the 88 Br WD

am I looking in the wrong place ?

chris