Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roll of Honour; the good, the bad, the average

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

I am fast becoming hooked - thanks to many forum members - on these very useful books.

I would like to know the forum's opinions, please, on ALL the Rolls of Honour that have been produced.

What did each Roll Of Honour contain (apart from the names of the fallen); occupation, next of kin, photos, regiment etc?

Please name the title(s) that is worth owning, and which one is gathering dust on your bookshelf?

Which are still available new (incuding reprints and CD Roms), and which ones have to be found second-hand or in a library?

Pete

I have always loved the Bond of Sacrifice; it is a beautifully bound book, and I have personally always been interested in the 1914 campaign, so it something I have consulted frequently.

For those who are not familiar with it, it contains photos and obituaries of officers who fell in the 1914 campaign; a very high percentage of those who died are in there.

Originals now fetch high prices, but I believe N&MP press have done a reprint in paperback; how long a pbk edition would last I don't know, but if you are into the 1914 period this book is invaluable.

My favourite school rolls are Dulwich College (I have them for both world wars, and both are brilliant with photos and obituaries and a complete roll of all who served) and the Tonbridge School, which has very detailed obituaries, service records of those who survivied and photos of all who died. The photos are listed in order of date of leaving the school... the first man is Henry Webber, who died on the Somme aged 68.