Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with CWGC index

djcrtoye

The reason for this post, is that I am compiling a data base of all the war dead in Airdrie taken from the memorial. I have found over the last few names there are some on Scottish National War Memorial but not on CWGC. Also vice versa but I already knew about that. Is there a reason for this or is the War Memorial wrong. Looking for some answers because nearly finished.

Guest KevinEndon

You will have to find what was the criteria to get onto Airdrie's memorial. They may have died out of service or after the CWGC cut off date. There are many reasons why they are not on the CWGC but on a memorial. Check local paper to see if there is a ref to what the criteria was to have a name on the memorial.

Kevin

Thanks for your replies folks will check the suggestions you made.

If you haven't already tried this then The Scottish War Graves Project and it's sister project The Scottish War Memorials Project have quite a bit of info online. Each project has a queries and requests section and there are several members who love a good challenge if you are trying to track someone down.

\Spoons

It is odd someone is named at Airdrie, included on the National Memorial of Scotland's Roll but absent from CWGC. Generally SNWM used details from official lists which included those held by CWGC. As you are aware there are a great number of Scots on CWGC who are absent at SNWM.

The reason may be due to the date and circumstances of their deaths. Were all these deaths post 1919? I can check to see if they are listed on SDGW if you PM me their details.

Update 29/2/2008

Dominic

Both are listed by CWGC. You need to account for spelling versions, etc when searching. It would be unusual for them to be on SNWM and not CWGC. The reverse is far from unusual.

Name: McARTHUR, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 9th (Glasgow Hds.) Bn.

Date of Death: 12/10/1918

Service No: 331734

Awards: M M and Bar

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 9 and 10.

Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

SDGW shows him as Killed in Action, born Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, residing at Airdrie and enlisting Glasgow

The number 213713 and date of death relates to a Jas McMahon, not Felix.

Name: McMAHON, JAMES

Initials: J

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 19/04/1918

Service No: 203713

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 72.

Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL

SDGW shows him as Killed in Action, born New Monkland, Lanarkshire, residing at Wishaw and enlisting Hamilton

I found this one for Felix

Name: McMAHON

Initials: F

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/10/1917

Service No: 4131

Additional information: Son of the late Felix and Rachel McMahon; husband of Christina Weir McMahon, of 4A, Motherwell St., Rawyards, Airdrie, Lanarkshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 19.

Cemetery: MALO-LES-BAINS COMMUNAL CEMETERY

SDGW shows him as Felix, Killed in Action, born New Monkland, Lanarkshire, residing at Airdrie and enlisting Hamilton