Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal entitlement

ralphjd

Can any pal please confirm the medal entitlement of Pte William Schofield Henthorn 19350 Lancs Fusiliers/364108 Labour Corps, an old lady (his grandaughter) has rung me up and is desirous of having copies of his medal(s) (he also was awarded the French CDG) as I read his card he was only entitled to the 1915 Star and the Victory medal, which according to my medal year book is possible, seems odd as his entry into theatre of war was 5/8/1915, all assistance/help gratefully welcomed. Ralph.

He would have the British War Medal as well. Usually there are just ditto marks or one entry to cover both the BWM and Victory Medal.

It was not possible to be awarded either the 1914-15 Star or the Victory Medal without the BWM. You could get the BWM without the Star or Victory, as did many Canadians who stayed in England, and British soldiers who were in overseas garrisons.

Ralph,

I would concur with Michael - it would appear he would be entitled to the 1914-15 trio. Given that he had service in the Labour Corps also, maybe a possible wounding?

cheers,

David

Thanks for the prompt replies chaps, a quote from the Medal Year Book re the BWM " This award was usually found with the Victory Medal of 1914-18, but can be awarded singly" I took this literally forgeting Michaels Canadian connection and others who stayed here. I cannot see any "ditto" marks on his card which is what threw me, so I am opting for a copy trio for the lady in question. Thanks again. Regards Ralph.

There is (was) a ditto mark... thank God for colour MICs. Below is the general area of the BWM entitlement and you can just make out a two part blue line. Presumably there's a " in there!

Les.

henthornep8.jpg

Hi Ralph

No mention of his C De G in the Honours and Awards in the LF's regimental history, but that could have been won with the Labour Corps

Dave.

No apparent CdeG in the London Gazette A "Henthorn" did win the DCM but in the Royal Field Artillery...

Hi Ralph

No mention of his C De G in the Honours and Awards in the LF's regimental history, but that could have been won with the Labour Corps

Dave.

Dave, Many thanks for looking, this lady is adamant that he "won" the CDG for rescuing a French officer and that some relative many years ago threw all his medals in the bin !!! Ralph.

Harry, Thank you for taking the time to have a look in the LG for me, appreciated. Ralph.