Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/13th (Kensington) Battalion London Regiment

Auto

Hi, I am researching a soldier who was killed in action on the 13th May 1917. Can anyone tell me the whereabouts of the 1/13th Battalion and what happened on that day.

Thanks.

rg77

Have you seen the Long Long Trail page for the Battle of Arras:

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat18.htm

This Bn was part of 168 Brigade of 56 Division at that time,whose last action is shown as 3rd battle of the Scarpe,a few days earlier than your subject died.

The Bn War Diary at Kew is under WO95/2955 and covers the period Feb 1916 to May 1919.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have two Kensingtons listed as dying on 13 May 1917:

Pte Percy Archer

Lt Reginald Thomas Sheppard

Which one are you researching?

Regards

Tom

Hi there,

Are you researching Percy Archer,13th Kensingtons, who Died from wounds at clearing station on 13/5/17 . Because I am also researching him. if so we could swap info.

Or if anyone out there has war diary entry from a few days before hand I would be interested in it. thanks

Richard Maddams

Hi there,

I information on both men.

GEORGE FREDERICK HEMPSTON. The National Roll of Honour, Section VII said that he was a ‘Private, 1/13th London Regt. (Kensingtons). He volunteered in November 1915, and was despatched in the following year to the Western Front, where he took a prominent part in several engagements, including that at Neuve Chapelle, during his twelve months active service. He was unhappily killed in action on May 13th, 1917. He was entitled to the General Service and Victory Medals. “His memory is cherished with pride.” 86, Neate Street, Camberwell. He was the son of Mr. G. F. Hempston, of 86, Neate St., Camberwell London (CGWC). He enlisted in London and joined up in Camberwell (Soldiers Died). He arrived in France on 22 June 1916 (WO 329 1525).

PRIVATE PERCY ARCHER (6935/493200) was born in Much Hadham, Herts, enlisted in London and lived in Much Hadham, Herts. He was previously in the 8th Middlesex Regiment (6113) (Soldiers Died). He was the son of of Alfred and A. Archer, of High St., Much Hadham, Herts. He was 21 and a member of A company. He is buried at DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY, ETRUN, Pas de Calais, France (CGWC). He arrived in France on 1 September 1916 (WO 329 1926).

Would be interested to know if you find anything else.

Regards

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I do have a photo of P Archer, taken from newspaper obituary in 1917, not great photo but its o.k. if you want a copy, send me your mail address and i will let you have it.

Hi

From the 6th - 14th May the Kensigtons were in the Guémappe sector of the Divisional front. On the 11th, the 4th Londons and London Scottish attacked Tool Trench (off to the left of the sunken lane leading SE out of Monchy-le-Preux) and Cavalry Farm. B Company Kensingtons was in support but didn't take part in the fighting. The only activity they were involved in at this time was patrolling and enduring sustained shell-fire. It's likely they were in Shrapnel, Shovel or Pick Trench ( a line of trenches that ran N from the outskirts of Guémappe to the E of Monchy in front of Infantry Hill). On the 14th they were relieved and moved back to Tilloy.

Regards

Martin

War Diary for this day reads:-

"Artillery quiet until 4p.m. when considerable activity developed until 6p.m."

Andy