Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Through German Eyes

paul guthrie

I did a search and don't see this book which is strange. It's about German views of the British Army on the Somme and very interesting! it's done from German sources such as archives in Munich. There is a great deal of information on what they obtained from questioing POWs, deserters, a lot of their opinions on units, the British soldier, high, the young officers, clueless etc.

Seeing how thorough they were it continues to be so surprising they could remain largely ignorant of the state of the French Army after the Nivelle offensive.

Christopher Duffy's book, Paul? I thought it had been reviewed. I read it and thought it was very good. I read it alongside Pal Jack Shelden's Somme book and thought it more than stood up.

Thanks Richard, I understand that those looking for information on the Germans were disappointed though how they obtained and analyzed information is interesting and is about them. As title suggests it's about how they looked at the British and has intreesting information on that, good book.

Paul try to digest the excellent book from Mosier to complement your hopefully not so serious prejudices against this superb author :lol::lol:

I know, I know he did not shake your hand when you met him, but.....

Paul try to digest the excellent book from Mosier to complement your hopefully not so serious prejudices against this superb author :lol::lol:

I know, I know he did not shake your hand when you met him, but.....

I have the feeling that P.G is likely to bare his teeth

• 2 years later...

I've nearly finished this particular book and found it quite interesting from the German perspective. I put down to a good read. Interesting to read what the Germans thought of the 'enemy'.

Cheers,

David