Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th. Battalion Welsh Regiment

valleygirl

Has anyone any information please re the whereabouts of the 9th. Battalion Welsh Regiment on 25th. September 1915? My great-uncle Stanley Clemerson , private, 13948, a Cardiffian, died on that day, an under age soldier at the Battle of Loos. I'd be grateful for any help so little is known about him.

Valleygirl

Our leader has provided a story in the Long Long Trail at top left of this page. Go to:

http://www.1914-1918.net/BATTLES/bat13_loos/bat.htm

Your subject's Battalion was part of 58 Brigade of 19 Division. This might help you follow the story.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hi Valleygirl

Some time ago, I recorded the following notes on your great-uncle from The South Wales Daily News (20.10.15). You can view the full entry at Cardiff Library.

Pte. Arthur Clemason (sic): 9th Welsh, missing after action on 25th September; sister at 28 Tenby Street, Cardiff; employed at North Central Wagon Works; member of Splott Boys F.C; photograph.

Tenby Street was in East Moors, Splott. I think the wagon works were in the Splott area. Splott Boys FC does not necessarily mean it was a soccer club. Before WW1 in Cardiff, a "Football Club" could just as easily have been a rugby club.

If you can add any more details about Private Clemerson (e.g. his age), I'd be grateful to receive them. I hope this is of some use.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Hi Valleygirl

Some time ago, I recorded the following notes on your great-uncle from The South Wales Daily News (20.10.15). You can view the full entry at Cardiff Library.

Pte. Arthur Clemason (sic): 9th Welsh, missing after action on 25th September; sister at 28 Tenby Street, Cardiff; employed at North Central Wagon Works; member of Splott Boys F.C; photograph.

Tenby Street was in East Moors, Splott. I think the wagon works were in the Splott area. Splott Boys FC does not necessarily mean it was a soccer club. Before WW1 in Cardiff, a "Football Club" could just as easily have been a rugby club.

If you can add any more details about Private Clemerson (e.g. his age), I'd be grateful to receive them. I hope this is of some use.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn, Stanley Arthur Clemerson according to family legend was only 16 years old when he enlisted. He was living with my Grandmother Amy Smith, nee Clemerson at the time. she went down to the recruiting office to stop him from joining up and was told to come back with the lad's father. Stanley's dad refused to go and said that being a soldier would make a man of him, consequently the poor lad was killed at Loos and my grandmother never spoke to her dad again. A very sad story, but I can't vouch for the truth of it. The wagon works fits in as both my grandad and father also worked for the North Central Wagon Works in Cardiff. I visited the Loos Memorial last September and left a poppy cross for poor little Stan where his name is carved.Memorial site is on the web of Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Are we related by any chance? Best wishes, Pam.

Hi Pam

A very sad story indeed and, I fear, one that happened all too often.

No, we're not related. I'm just interested in the men and women of Cardiff who died in the war. Presumably your grandmother was the sister who lived in Tenby Street. My grandparents lived round the corner in Llanelly Street at the time and so our families might have been acquainted, if not related.

I forgot to mention, I believe Stanley Arthur Clemerson is commemorated on the Splott War Memorial, in the grounds of St. Saviour's Church.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Hi Pam

A very sad story indeed and, I fear, one that happened all too often.

No, we're not related. I'm just interested in the men and women of Cardiff who died in the war. Presumably your grandmother was the sister who lived in Tenby Street. My grandparents lived round the corner in Llanelly Street at the time and so our families might have been acquainted, if not related.

I forgot to mention, I believe Stanley Arthur Clemerson is commemorated on the Splott War Memorial, in the grounds of St. Saviour's Church.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

Thank you for your help, could you answer one more query please? Is it possible to photocopy the item you mention in the newspaper at the library? I have never seen a photo of Stanley and wonder if my image of him is anything like his real face. I don't live in Wales anymore, but think I can get a friend to do it for me, but I don't want him going on a wild goose chase.

Best wishes, Pam.

Hi Pam

The library can only supply a copy if the original is on micro-film. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the SWDN is still hard copy. However, your friend could take a photograph of the original.

You might consider ringing the library (029-20382116, ask for Local Studies) to check if that is still the case. Also, you could ask them to check that there is a photo of your great-uncle in the SWDN. Since you have a precise date, they might be willing to do so, if you tell them you live outside the area and don't want to make a wasted journey (though no journey to Cardiff is ever wasted!).

Good luck

Gwyn

Hi Pam

The library can only supply a copy if the original is on micro-film. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the SWDN is still hard copy. However, your friend could take a photograph of the original.

You might consider ringing the library (029-20382116, ask for Local Studies) to check if that is still the case. Also, you could ask them to check that there is a photo of your great-uncle in the SWDN. Since you have a precise date, they might be willing to do so, if you tell them you live outside the area and don't want to make a wasted journey (though no journey to Cardiff is ever wasted!).

Good luck

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

thank you for being patient and replying to my queries. I'll phone the library.

If you are still researching Cardiff lads can I mention another great-uncle -Thomas Powditch of the 13th. Middlesex Regiment? He was killed at Trones Wood on August 18th 1916. He lived at 21, Swansea Street with his family. He enlisted at Paddington because he was a steward on the G.W.R. apparently a really lovely person. I do have photographs of him, so I'm lucky. Thanks, Pam.

Hi Pam

Thanks for your information on Thomas Powditch. It was very interesting to learn about how he came to enlist in London. Another East Moors boy, he is also commemorated on the Splott War Memorial. Like Stanley Clemerson, he is mentioned in the local press.

South Wales Daily News (7.9.16): Powditch, Thomas, 26, killed in France 18.08.16, son of Robert and Mary Powditch, 21 Swansea Street, Cardiff.

SWDN (9.9.16): Pte. Thomas Powditch, Middlesex Regiment, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Powditch, 21 Swansea Street, Refreshment Dept. GWR. Photograph. Also photos of his brothers Spr. Arthur (RE) and Gnr. James (RFA) who were were both on active service.

The GWR magazine for November 1916 recorded him as a Restaurant Car Conductor, Hotels Department, Cardiff.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Hi Pam

Thanks for your information on Thomas Powditch. It was very interesting to learn about how he came to enlist in London. Another East Moors boy, he is also commemorated on the Splott War Memorial. Like Stanley Clemerson, he is mentioned in the local press.

South Wales Daily News (7.9.16): Powditch, Thomas, 26, killed in France 18.08.16, son of Robert and Mary Powditch, 21 Swansea Street, Cardiff.

SWDN (9.9.16): Pte. Thomas Powditch, Middlesex Regiment, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Powditch, 21 Swansea Street, Refreshment Dept. GWR. Photograph. Also photos of his brothers Spr. Arthur (RE) and Gnr. James (RFA) who were were both on active service.

The GWR magazine for November 1916 recorded him as a Restaurant Car Conductor, Hotels Department, Cardiff.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Hi there,

You have found out a lot. Some personal information on Tom Powditch. Ivor Novello the famous composer had a loving mum who was very fond of a drink. She used to visit Ivor in London and was rather the worst for wear when her son put her on the Cardiff train out of Paddington Station. Ivor Novello used to seek Tom out to help get his mother on board the train and to keep an eye on her during the journey and make sure she alighted at Cardiff Central. He was a very generous tipper apparently.

Best wishes, Pam.