Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corps Placement in 1918 for other than Operation Michael

5th Horseman

Hello Gentlemen,

I am working on a 1918 game scenario for the Western Front, encompassing the entire front and events from Operation Michael onward. I have an excellent Order of Battle for most units involved. I can place Armies easily enough, and divisions within Corps for the French and English, however, I cannot place Corps within Armies south of Flanders. I also cannot place German divisions not involved in Operation Michael.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the French and Germans south of Operation Michael?

If anyone is interested, an overview of my game scenarios for WWI (and others) can be found at;

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/downloads....=cat&id=115

and a discussion for the game Anglo-German War 1939-45 (I am expanding that, by the way to 1914-18) can be found here;

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=163

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could lend me in this endeavor.

Thanks, guys, Scott.

Scott;

There is a book entitled (from memory; I have a copy about, but not at hand) Schlachten und Gefechte des Grossen Kriege 1914-1918; it was published in 1919 by the Great General Staff before that organization was banned by the Allies.

It places units, usually down to the division level; some specialized smaller units also listed, for each battle, campaign, etc. It generally does not place units when there is no fighting going on. The given division does not have to be fighting, its army corps or army could be fighting, the specific division not fighting.

It is organized in cronological order, listed by engagement, attack, etc., with Western Front activity on the left facing page, and the East Front activity for the same time period on the right side. I do not know how scarce this book is. The copy I have about is from my wife's library of 8 million books, which has a lot of scarce materials.

Bob Lembke

Thanks Bob,

Will look for that one.

Another good one is;

Histories of the Two Hundred and Fifty-One Divisions of the German Army Which Participated in the War (1914-1918), by the Intelligence Section of the General Staff, American Expeditionary Forces.

I would also recommend this French Website for French Divisions in a similar format;

http://www.sac.asso.fr/regiment/

I have not examined it myself, but some scholars have stated that "251 Divisions" has a lot of errors. Don't know myself. Of course it has the virtue of being in English.

Bob

Bob,

I purchased the book you suggested and this one; "Geschichte des Deutschen Heeres im Weltkriege 1914-1918", by Herman Cron.

So, hopefully the Germans will know better than the AEF where their divisions were.

Thanks for the help.

Scott,

I don't know where you live, but if you have a decent large local library, or interlibrary loan, you'll probably find what you're looking for in volumes 13 and 14 of "Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918."

I hope if you ordered Cron's "Geschichte des Deutschen Heeres im Weltkriege 1914-1918," in German you wanted it particularly in German, as it's available in English as well, under the title, "Imperial German Army 1914-18, Organisation, Structure, Orders-of-Battle.”

Paul

Paul,

I am within a half hours drive of New York City.

And my German is not so bad, so I'll muddle through.

I could use a good source for British and French Armies. I know what they are and where, more so for the British. I just don't have a great handle on divisional attachments to corps, and corps to army.

Thanks for the new German source. You guys are good.

Scott.

Paul,

I am within a half hours drive of New York City.

And my German is not so bad, so I'll muddle through.

I could use a good source for British and French Armies. I know what they are and where, more so for the British. I just don't have a great handle on divisional attachments to corps, and corps to army.

Thanks for the new German source. You guys are good.

Scott.

Scott,

For the French see "Les Armées Françaises dans la Grande Guerre," the French official history. There is a volume on the time-period of your interest, as well as volumes on order of battle.

"Order of Battle of Divisions," should give you what you want for the British as well, if you're looking for attachment.

I would think you should be able to find all three sources in New York.

Paul

Paul,

Is the 21st Century not a sweet, sweet thing.

I found your French OOB cite (and translated it with Altavista Babelfish) on google.

It's from a game called The Operational Art of War. They used it for scenario building and found it so useful they posted it on the web.

So here ya go;

http://toaw.free.fr/afgg/

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.

Scott

Paul,

Is the 21st Century not a sweet, sweet thing.

I found your French OOB cite (and translated it with Altavista Babelfish) on google.

It's from a game called The Operational Art of War. They used it for scenario building and found it so useful they posted it on the web.

So here ya go;

http://toaw.free.fr/afgg/

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.

Scott

Scott,

That just looks like a list of units, or (?). Not sure how that helps you. The OoB from the French OH is two volumes long (around 2,000 pages) and will give you the affiliations you asked about, as long as you at least have the armies or even better Corps involved.

Paul

Paul

Click on one of those units, such as 1st Corps. It then lists by date, what Army it is attached to, what divisions are attached to it, and it's location.

They are jpeg files of the two volume book 10.

Short of a map with all those details, it's the next best thing.

Scott

Ah, I didn't see they were links. Well, I'm glad it helped.

Paul