Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Talbot House

Jacky Platteeuw

To Jan Louagie and others connected with Talbot House. I am sure I speak on behalf of all members of this forum when I say thank you for taking the time to communicate the position.

It should not surprise you that a well-informed and lively community that is dedicated to the subject of the Great War should discuss developments at Talbot House - as indeed we discuss many subjects relating to the changing nature of remembrance and battlefields. It is a well-loved and significant place, with personal connections for many of us.

Although you may be right in suggesting that discussion should be as well-informed as possible, I am sure you appreciate it is not always easy to obtain facts. Many of our members do not visit Flanders often, and many would be hesitant about contacting you or others directly if they heard of something that gave them concern. It is natural that they discuss it with on-line friends.

I am glad to welcome you and Dries as members of this forum and I hope you visit again soon, and not just to respond to an item raised about Talbot House. This is a friendly place to be and we welcome your input.

Personally I also welcome the statements made by Dries and the endorsement by Jan.

May I refer to my first posting on this subject where I announced the new museum in a positive way. My feelings about this haven't changed. It is an excelleant idea to realise a museum focussing on the life behind the lines. People, who know me well, are very much aware of my obstinacy concerning stories still to be told on this particular issue.

However this positive attitude was seriously overschadowed by the announcement of the closing of the front door as main entrance for the general public to TH. In the postings of the staff members I have seen number of reasons to do so but personally I haven't seen any valuable one not to possibly reconsider. In my opinion if the option (decision?) of the Pottestraat being the main entrance is maintained then TH is no more or less degradated to an appendix of the new museum. It seems more logical to me that it should be the other way around. As far as I know, correct me if I am wrong, the lads in the Great War didn't enter the Concert Hall trough any other entrance than TH. Dries in one of his postings sayd that buying the old Concert hall was an 'emotional decision'. That is exactly what TH is about 'emotion'. At the risk to be called waggish I confirm my point of view that closing the front door as main entrance is the wrong thing to do as it is taking away the spirit, the soul and the very particular atmosphere of TH. In one word what 'emotion' is about.

Jacky

I agree with Jacky's analysis of the importance of maintaining access through the front door but look forward to reviewing the problems and practicalities of the question of access when I next visit T.H.

I would hope that T.H management may be sympathetic to allowing limited access to those who make a particular request to use the front door rather than imposing an absolutely strict "no entry " policy. I hope this may be practicable.

• 2 months later...

As some of the members are coming over for the first forum dinner next Saturday I do invite them to go visit Talbot House and possibly speak to an executive about this issue.

I thought it was opportune to remind you of this discussion a few days before the dinner so that hopefully we can discuss this further and in depth. This posting is also meant to draw the attention of the many new members of this forum to this thread and possibly enter this discussion which is, in my opinion, of the outmost importance.

Jacky

• 2 weeks later...