Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Headstones Please (France & India)

bts1970

Afternoon all

This is an updated and amended list of remaining Headstones & memorials yet to get. Many thanks to all who have helped so far with my research, i now have 61 of the Headstones & Memorial tablets. The list below is the remainder, some i appreciate i may not get but if anyone can assist me with any on the list i would be most gratefull

INDIA

L/1582 Lance Serjeant TOM MARTIN , Nowshera Military Cemetery. N.15., Remembered on DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE)

FRANCE

North

87972 Serjeant EDWARD GEORGE MILLS. , HIGHLAND CEMETERY, LE CATEAU, Grave Reference: XII. C. 2.

R/7558 Rifleman ALBERT JAMES PARSONS. , BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY, Grave Reference: IV. G. 59.

261778 Driver JOSEPH JOHN WOOLFORD. , MAUBEUGE-CENTRE CEMETERY, Grave Reference: C. 12.

Somme

22755 Private EDWARD FRANK CURTIS. , HEILLY STATION CEMETERY, MERICOURT-L'ABBE, Grave Reference: I. A. 26.

2880 Private HERBET STANLEY WOOLFORD , TEMPLEUX-LE-GUERARD BRITISH CEMETERY, Ref I. H. 25.

Pas de Calais

265848 Private THOMAS RICHARD BARTLETT ,. STE. MARIE CEMETERY, LE HAVRE, Grave Reference: Div. 62. I. H. 1.

Private WILLIAM JORDAN Metz-en-Couture , Grave reference II F 2

46945 Private WILLIAM CHARLES PARSONS ,. ST. ANDRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Grave Reference: I. A. 26.

203306 Private JOHN REGINALD LANE. H.A.C. CEMETERY, ECOUST-ST. MEIN, Grave Ref: VIII. B. 6.

Aisne

54684 Private HERBERT MARTIN. , PROSPECT HILL CEMETERY, GOUY, Grave Reference: IV. C. 16.

Rhone

4754 Shoeing Smith EDWIN SAUNDERS. , ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D'OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION Ref: B. 55.

Regards to all who view & especially those who can help

Bob Lloyd

Bob.

If you PM me your email address I should have photos somwhere of the grave of Nelson Caldwell as he was one I visited during a trip around 170 cemeteries in the Salient last May. We were at Elzenwalle on the 92nd anniversary of his death. We hadn't been able to find out any info on him so if you have a bit of background info it would be nice to see it.

Many thanks.

Neil

Neil

recieved with many thanks

10123 Private NELSON CALDWELL , ELZENWALLE BRASSERIE CEMETERY, I. D. 2.

Any information surrounding this lad i will pass onto you, many thanks again

Best Regards

Bob

Afternoon all

Many thanks to all who have helped so far with my research, i now have 48 of the Headstones & Memorial tablets. The list below is the remainder, some i appreciate i may not get but if anyone can assist me with any on the list i would be most gratefull

UK

129118 Gunner E HAWCUTT , MILTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD (SS. SIMON AND JUDE) CHURCHYARD

PALESTINE/ISRAEL

966436 Driver GEORGE HICKS , JERUSALEM MEMORIAL, Panel 7.

INDIA

L/1582 Lance Serjeant TOM MARTIN , Nowshera Military Cemetery. N.15., Remembered on DELHI MEMORIAL (INDIA GATE)

GERMANY

8910 Private BERT FISHER., NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY, Grave Reference: X. G. 6.

BELGIUM

Private GEORGE EDWARD BUTCHER , TYNE COT MEMORIAL Panel 119 to 120.

25383 Private EDWARD J WILLIAMS. , KLEIN-VIERSTRAAT BRITISH CEMETERY, Grave Reference: I. D. 1.

1079 Private ALFRED MATTHEWS , DADIZEELE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY I B 29

FRANCE

North

Lieutenant VALENTINE OAKLEY-BROWN. , BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Grave Reference: VI. D. 1.

111609 Gunner HARRY LEWIS. , HAZEBROUCK COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Grave Reference: I. C. 20.

87972 Serjeant EDWARD GEORGE MILLS. , HIGHLAND CEMETERY, LE CATEAU, Grave Reference: XII. C. 2.

R/7558 Rifleman ALBERT JAMES PARSONS. , BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY, Grave Reference: IV. G. 59.

261778 Driver JOSEPH JOHN WOOLFORD. , MAUBEUGE-CENTRE CEMETERY, Grave Reference: C. 12.

26939 Private WILLIAM JAMES SAINSBURY , MORBECQUE BRITISH CEMETERY, Plot I. Row D. Grave 7.

71257 Private C SKUSE , NEUVILLY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, C. 10

Somme

22755 Private EDWARD FRANK CURTIS. , HEILLY STATION CEMETERY, MERICOURT-L'ABBE, Grave Reference: I. A. 26.

Captain ERNEST HESKETH HARRISON. , PERONNE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, Grave Reference: V. K. 1.

62523 Private FRANK GEORGE MERCHANT. , GEZAINCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Grave Reference: II. M. 17.

2880 Private HERBET STANLEY WOOLFORD , TEMPLEUX-LE-GUERARD BRITISH CEMETERY, Ref I. H. 25.

Pas de Calais

265848 Private THOMAS RICHARD BARTLETT ,. STE. MARIE CEMETERY, LE HAVRE, Grave Reference: Div. 62. I. H. 1.

Private WILLIAM JORDAN Metz-en-Couture , Grave reference II F 2

46945 Private WILLIAM CHARLES PARSONS ,. ST. ANDRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Grave Reference: I. A. 26.

Aisne

54684 Private HERBERT MARTIN. , PROSPECT HILL CEMETERY, GOUY, Grave Reference: IV. C. 16.

Rhone

4754 Shoeing Smith EDWIN SAUNDERS. , ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D'OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION Ref: B. 55.

Bestr regards to all who view & especially those who can help

Bob Lloyd

Bob, I have Matthews in Dadizeele. Unfortunately, lots of flowers, plants in front of it. But, If you want it anyway, send me your email address and I will send. Doc

Good morning Seasider. 129118 Gunner E HAWCUTT , MILTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD (SS. SIMON AND JUDE) CHURCHYARD if, by the the 31st March, you have not had a response to this soldier, send me a PM and I will do my best to get it for you. I am travelling down south in early April and will not take too much of a detour to get to the village. If you have specific location etc. it would help me locate. Regards John

John,

An email to the CWGC should help you, they have maps of churchyards etc and you should be able to get the one for there

John

I believe that the location is described as "through the gate on the left", not to vague really is it !!!, will see if there is a better reference at all

Best regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Biff

Many thanks

230363 signalman Edward bowen, HMS Good Hope, Portsmouth memorial

Best Regards

Bob

Bob - I'd previously told you we'd be able to get a picture of Ernest Hesketh Harrison's grave at Peronne - I don't think we're going to be getting as far down as Peronne on this trip.

Sorry about that - will be there in the Summer though, in case no-one is able to help before then...

Alan

Alan

Many thanks for your time, will keep the list updated to only show which ones i am still outstanding ( save for the time away digging sandcastles) if you do get chance in the future brilliant

Best Regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved with many thanks to John Thorpe

GERMANY

8910 Private BERT FISHER., NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY, Grave Reference: X. G. 6.

Best Regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all

Just bumping this thread upto the top, of on "Holiday" soon so will be out of contact till mid June, if anyone can help please post on this thread & i will contact you on my return. To those who have already contacted me , many thanks in advance

Best Regards to all who search

Bob lloyd

Greetings Bob,

I will be visiting Jerusalem War Cemetary in early May to put some flowers on my grandfathers grave. I will try to find and take photo of Driver George Hicks for you.

Regards

Ted

Ted

That would be absolutely great if you could, not much opportunity to get someone who will be visiting that cemetary, you interest & help is well recieved.

I am away until early june from later this month, would it be OK to mail you on my return for you top send me any photos you may be able to capture ???

Best regards

Bob lloyd

bob.mech00@tiscali.co.uk

MIC

Recieved with many thanks, superb photos again

Lieutenant VALENTINE OAKLEY-BROWN. , BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Grave Reference: VI. D. 1.

Best Regards

Bob

Biffo

Recieved with many thanks

Private GEORGE EDWARD BUTCHER , TYNE COT MEMORIAL Panel 119 to 120.

Best regards

Bob

Hello Bob. This is one of 6 photos taken. The others show close-up detail and the position of the grave. If you can send your email address, I will send the folder to you. I would be inteested to know why you want this particular grave photographed. Regards John

post-11070-1207668572.jpg

John

129118 Gunner E HAWCUTT , MILTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD (SS. SIMON AND JUDE) CHURCHYARD

Best Regards

Bob

• 1 month later...

Edward

Recieved with many many thanks

PALESTINE/ISRAEL

966436 Driver GEORGE HICKS , JERUSALEM MEMORIAL, Panel 7.

Best Regards

Bob

Sabine

BELGIUM

25383 Private EDWARD J WILLIAMS. , KLEIN-VIERSTRAAT BRITISH CEMETERY, Grave Reference: I. D. 1.

Bob

I have been researching my village war memorial and am missing details for a Ernest H Harrison. I thought he could be Ernest Hesketh Harrison but I see you have him listed on yours. Do you have any more details? If it turns out that I have the wrong one I will let you have all the research I have done on his family.

Regards

Simon

• 1 month later...
12908437_121838513055.jpg

Hi Bob,

Glad to see the requests are still coming in. Am going back in April and my mate is going in October, email me a list of what you need from France and Belgium and will see what i/we can do!!

Soilsister

many thanks for getting me Mr Skuse, much appreciated.

Anthony

The list at the top of the thread i have been ammending as i recieve them so its the full oustanding list at the moment. Off overseas again till mid October when i hope to set foot again myself in france & get some miles on the ground in

Best Regards

Bob

Bob - I've got Merchant for you, and should get Harrison tomorrow - will be able to email them in a week or so

Alan

Alan

Many thanks for your help, only a few more to go now, hopefully will be able to get the list completed soon

Best Regards

Bob