Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

York and Lancaster 2nd Battalion Regt 1918 - Busigny

LizM

Can anyone give me any information on

2nd Bn. York and Lancaster Regiment fighting at Busigny France October 1918.

Researching family tree and found the following info:

Private, 202931, Walter Mould, 2nd Bn. York and Lancaster Regiment. Killed in action 17-10-18. Formerly 149306, Royal Field Artillery. Born Sawtry, enlisted Bolton-on-Deane, resident Bradford. Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension.

So now interested in finding more about the battle etc..

Thanks

LizM

Hi LizM, the battalion War Diary can be found at WO 95/1610, sadly it's not available online. The standing charge of £8.50 usually gives you 10 pages which is around a months worth,

cheers, Jon

"frontal attacks upon certain other portions of the enemy positions not having proved sufficiently decisive, the G.O.C. IX. Corps now determined to move the 6th and 46th Divisions further to the north, attacking from the south-east and east respectively; and very early on the morning of the 17th October the Battalion left Bohain and neighbourhood and took up a position on the southern edge of the Bois de Busigny, prepapatory to attacking at dawn. At 5.30 the advance commenced, "A" and "B" Companies in the first wave and "C" and "D" in the second; but, the enemy making a comparatively slight resistance, all objectives were in our possession by 7.30. The captures by the Battalion totalled three officers and 211 men, but two officers and 87 other ranks were killed, wounded or missing"

Dean.

Thanks for the info guys.

And I will certainly see if I can get a copy the war diary.

All the best

LizM