Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

arnold loosemore

veklee

im either very sad or need to get a life , found arnold loosemores papers on ancestry VC ,DCM then looked at his grace if you blink you would miss his name , has anyone found any other intresting papers

barry

although Arnold was looked after quite well immediately after the war, he was given a bungalow and a horse and trap, his wounds and the loss of his leg soon caught up with him. He died in 1924 aged 27. He left behind a widow and a three year old son. His widow was left in deep financial trouble because the goverment wouldn't pay her a war pension because she married him after his war service and knew that he was in bad health!

In the 50's Arnold Jnr was running an off-licence in Sheffield. I think the family sold the VC in the mid 60's. Arnold is buried in All Saints Churchyard,Ecclesall, Sheffield.

Dean.

post-17978-1203927466.jpg

although Arnold was looked after quite well immediately after the war, he was given a bungalow and a horse and trap, his wounds and the loss of his leg soon caught up with him. He died in 1924 aged 27. He left behind a widow and a three year old son. His widow was left in deep financial trouble because the goverment wouldn't pay her a war pension because she married him after his war service and knew that he was in bad health!

In the 50's Arnold Jnr was running an off-licence in Sheffield. I think the family sold the VC in the mid 60's. Arnold is buried in All Saints Churchyard,Ecclesall, Sheffield.

Dean.

Hi Barry, yeah your probably right.

He also had a street named after him, Loosemore Drive, but someones nicked the Plaque that sat alongside the street name!!

His six brothers also served.

Dean.

yeah, should be there.

Sheffield Local Studies has an old scrap book with a photograph of the seven brothers.

I did have a copy but i sent it to one of Arnolds surviving relatives in Devon, but i forgot to keep a copy for myself!!

Dean.

How Pte. Loosemore Won the V.C.
Just listen to my story,
It will fill your hearts with glee
Telling how Private Loosemore
Fought for his V.C.

He was one of "Kitcheners men."
Who had faced those deadly shells
A lad who had "done his bit"
Out at the Dardanelles

But here he is in Flanders,
Helping to strafe the Huns
Amid the toil and strife
And the rattle of Britains guns

Somewhere near to Ypres
Against the Steenbeck Siding
Up to the knees in mud
We find the 8th West Riding

Waiting there for morning
In shell holes they had to stay
Untill that awful moment
Just at the break of day

Loosemore was with his section
Which roughly numbered six
He knew the good old DUKES'S
Would never be in a fix

Our guns opened out at last
Smashing the German defences
Shells came over in hundreds
On to the German trenches

A shout, "It's over the top!"
At grips with the murderous hun
Bombs,lead and steel are flashing..
Also the Maxim gun

Loosemore got into a shell hole
But crash! down came a shell
This was an awful moment
For two of his pals bad fell

On came the German forces
Every man bent on battle
But before they got to that post
Our Lewis gun started to rattle

The Germans were coming fast
Against our hero's fire
But Loosemore mowed them down
And dropped them on the wire

Bang! went a German bomb
Scattering the bloodstained land
Blowing the Lewis gun
Straight from our hero's hand

But still he carried on
As some German bombs he threw
He had held that British post
And stuck to it like glue

His bombs were now all finnished
So the Germans came galore
But Loosemore drew his pistol
As the Allemand gave a roar

They had now got face to face
The Bosche with the bayonet bright
Crack went that little pistol
It was a terrible sight

The Bosche fell to the ground
With his hand upon his head
But the others shouted "Mercy"
And to their stronghold fled

We are all proud of Loosemore
We give to him our hand
Never shall we forget
How he made that gallant stand

We leave the rest to Sheffield
Where i think you'll all agree
That Private Arnold Loosemore
Fought hard for that V.C.

Composed by Corporal H.Prior, 8th West Riding Regiment. Sept 16th 1917.
With permission from Private A. Loosemore, 8th West Riding Regiment.

Printed by Hirst & Rennie LTD. Oldham.
Copies: TWOPENCE EACH.

more background Barry,

his son Arnold jnr, visited Ypre in 1977 and presented a Tankard to the town on behalf of the Lord Moyor of Sheffield.

He then visited the spot where his father won the VC.

His son sold the VC and Arnolds other medals at Sotherbys in 1969 for the sum of £1,080.

His son thought that his father was " just another hero down the drain".

Arnold snr is also remembered at the ex srevices club (companions) here in Sheffield with a large framed photograph and a copy of his citation hanging from the wall. There was/is ? a memorial tablet that dedicated in St Andrews church, this was upon the demolition of the church taken and hung in the school he and his brothers attended, Clifford Road School.

His six brothers were,

Ernest,

Frank,

George,

Harry,

John William,

Joseph Joshua.

Dean.

hi dean so is george the only one of the brothers on ancestry ? £1000 how much are his medals worth now ? shame there not with the family ,i spoke to the daughter of kenny the hackney vc once and they sold their fathers medals, suppose its no different than when they sold their war medals or suspenders from there silver medals , they needed money ,how could the government not give his wife a pension shame that

barry

Hi Barry,

i dont know if any of his brothers are on ancestry, i've never looked for them, i did download Arnolds papers though.

i think i would have to sell my medals too if i was in dire straits, needs must.

Dean.

Hi Daggers,

yes, very.

He didn't have his "own" grave, he was put in with another family, i dont know if they were related.

Dean.

• 4 years later...
Guest mickbhoy

Hi Dave 1

the plaque at loosemore drive was vandalised and replaced twice, i know this as my mother lives at no1 loosemore drive, now when i lived there we caught someone trying to take the plaque and got it off them. It is now safe at my house ,it has been in a drawer at my mums for years. i called sheffield council to see if they would replace it on the wall but they are not interested and told me to throw it in the bin.It is now my intention to send it to the duke of wellington regimental museam where they have agreed to keep it

im either very sad or need to get a life , found arnold loosemores papers on ancestry VC ,DCM then looked at his grace if you blink you would miss his name , has anyone found any other intresting papers

barry

Hi

I'm very interested in the Duke of Wellington's Regt, and i haven't got access to Ancestry, so was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of Loosemores papers I've tried to PM you but it says your not accepting anymore post. Any help much appreiciated. If i can help you with any Dukes Info please let me know. Regards DaveC

• 1 year later...

Hi Dave 1

the plaque at loosemore drive was vandalised and replaced twice, i know this as my mother lives at no1 loosemore drive, now when i lived there we caught someone trying to take the plaque and got it off them. It is now safe at my house ,it has been in a drawer at my mums for years. i called sheffield council to see if they would replace it on the wall but they are not interested and told me to throw it in the bin.It is now my intention to send it to the duke of wellington regimental museam where they have agreed to keep it

That sounds like a Great idea mickbhoy. I first found out about Arnold Loosemore November 2011 from a cousin. I knew absolutely nothing about my mother or fathers families or history until I reached 69 years old, you can imagine how I felt when I discovered Arnold was my Great Uncle.I have downloaded a lot of information from this site thanks to all you people dedicated to Sergeant Arnold Loosemore V.C. D.C .M. What a Great soldier, I feel so proud to be related to a "Great Hero" who was so young.If anybody reads this post and would like to contact me with new information about his living relatives it would be much appreciated. My email is, yikes_it_sykes@optusnet.com.au . Regards Bill Sykes

This is a really good post and it deserved to be resurrected 5 years on.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks to Dean and all the others.

BillyH.