Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Don Stonehouse Border Regiment.

high wood

Another photographic mystery. This soldier in the Border Regiment signed the card, "yours very sincerely, Don". On the back he wrote his name and address, Don Stonehouse, 29, The Grove, Uplands, Swansea, S.W. I cannot find a medal index card for him. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

post-6480-1203871824.jpg

he would only have a MIC if he had medals - not every one served in theatre so didnt qualify.

• 7 years later...

Marshall Stonehouse is listed on the 1911 census as living at number 53, The Grove, Uplands, Swansea along with his younger brother George and the rest of his family but no Don Stonehouse. It isn't Marshall in the photograph as he enlisted into the 14th Battalion, Welsh Regiment as Pte, No 17185 on 30th September 1914 and was discharged, wounded on the 23rd July 1917. I wonder if young George had a middle name or was known as Don. He would have been 18 in 1918 and might have served post war in the Border Regiment.

It is George in the photograph. George MacDonald Stonehouse was born in 1900 in Pontardawe, Wales.

IPT,

thank you for your input in solving this mystery.

Simon

Oh very good. Well spotted.

There is an RAF record for George MacDonald Stonehouse, of 29 The Grove, that shows that he was a cadet at "No10 Technical Training Wing, St Leonard's 15/1/1918" and then "Sent to 4th Border Regiment 31/3/1918"