Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Stormers of Neuve-Chapelle

Ralph J. Whitehead

I have a postcard showing a group of Germans from the 10th Coy, 247 Reserve Regiment behind a sign "The stormers of Neuve-Chapelle, 10/247. They are armed with wire cutters, rifles and in most cases trench shovels. The men wear an identifying panel across their chest and my assumption at this point is that they were involved in a raid at Neuve-Chapelle in 1916.

I checked the regimental history but there is no direct reference to the 10th Coy being involved in a raid. The regiment was only at Neuve-Chapelle for June and July 1916 before being sent to the Somme. The closest I could find is an account of a raid that occurred on the evening of 27 July 1916.

I was wondering if anyone has any references to the British units opposite the 247th Reserve and if there are any accounts of such a raid. I look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Ralph

post-4-1075772907.jpg

I can't help with a specific reference, but the 39th Division was in this area in June 1916, with the 35th Division not far away, and in July the 31st Division came here fresh from the slaughter at Serre. Sadly only one of those three units has a published history, and I don't have it!

Thanks Paul,

It is a start. I hope one of the other members of the forum might have have further details on this location and possibly a battalion reference. I will keep looking.

Ralph