The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

187th Bde. Royal Field Artillery

dntetlow

One of the men on the Cricklade War Memorial served with this unit and died on 23 Sep 1917 - I would like to obtain some details as to where they were and what action they were involved in on that day - can anyone help?

David

Hi David

The Long Long Trail may provide some clues. According to this, 187 Brigade RFA was with 41st Division from formation in November 1915 to November 1918.

41st division was formed in September 1915, part of the Fifth New Army, K5 and moved to France by 6th May 1916. It was commanded throughout its life by Major-General S.T.B.Lawford.

All units were concentrated near Steenwerck, and the Division began familiarisation with trench warfare in the areas of Ploegsteert and the Douve valley, south of Ypres, where it remained until August 1916.

It then fought at:

- the Somme (Flers-Courcelette, Le Transloy) in 1916

- June 1917 Messines

- July 1917 Pilckem (3rd Ypres)

- 21-25Sep 1917 Menin Road (3rd Ypres)

- Italy (arrived Nov 1917)

I guess therefore that your man may have died in the Menin Road battle, since this coincides exactly with his date of death. Though I guess too that the artillery would have been behind the front line?

I note too that the National Archives holds the War Diary for 187 Brigade for 1917-1918 at ref WO 95/4242/. There's another one for 1916-1917 (again, don't know the exact dates) at WO 95/2625/. I guess that these would provide even more exact locations of the Brigade - though not necessarily where your man died.

Hope this helps.

James

James,

Many thanks for the guidance - now I know where to look for other units! Much appreciated.

David

Hi David, the War Diary for the 187th Bde RFA covering the period in question can be found here at the NA, sadly it's not yet available online but it can be requested at a cost,

cheers, Jon