Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where on the Western Front was the most

brindlerp

Just out of interest, where on the Western Front was the most easterly location of British units.

Which unit(s) were located where and when?

regards

Richard

I would imagine the four Divisions sent to help the French in June/July 1918 around Champagne were most easterly . If you mean a semi-permanent position in the British line - I have no idea - but some Pal will know.

Aye

Malcolm

Chris is right - if it is East you mean, then the greatest penetration into German held territory on 11.11.18 would be at Mons, where the Canadian Corps ended the war. If you mean what was the furthest sector along the WF where British troops served, then it would be the area just NW of Reims, where the British Army was in September-October 1914 and May-July 1918. We never sent troops any further "east" from Reims, except as observors or instructors, but there are CWGC burials there (eg in Sedan, around Verdun etc) - these are usually British POWs captured in Northern France/Flanders and sent to camps in this area.

Many thanks for the information gentlemen, just NW of Rheims (and Mons) is what I was wanting to know.

Sorry the question was imprecise, liked the answers though.

regards

Richard

Richard,

Don't know if this helps because I could not find them when holidaying near Rheims.

In July 1918 the Highland Division was" fighting on the western edge of the Montagne de Rheims which was the 8th Royal Scots first experience of actual open warfare.The dense undergrowth of the Bois de Carton and Bois d'Espilly rendered the operation a peculiarly tough and difficult one"

As I said above I could not find the above on a modern map but possibly someone may know where they are in relation to Rheims.

George

p.s. The Place "Chanmussy" is also mentioned but I have to confess I've not looked for it on a modern map