The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

amb

Does anyone have any information about the 2nd/8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders' training? The soldier I am researching enlisted on 10th Jan 1915, and was with the Expeditionary Force in France & Flanders from 1st Jan 1916. I would be interested in trying to find out where he might have been for that year.

With thanks.

AMB

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, have you tried the argyll and sutherland museum? The chap your after is Rod Mackenzie,I recently contacted him on a officer and he sent me back a pile of info,photo,war diary,official history blah blah,all good stuff.[A small donation is usual though] Still worth it mind.

address if you want it is The Argyll and Sutherland Museum.The Castle.Stirling.FK8 1EH.

Good luck.Regards Pete

Does anyone have any information about the 2nd/8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders' training? The soldier I am researching enlisted on 10th Jan 1915, and was with the Expeditionary Force in France & Flanders from 1st Jan 1916. I would be interested in trying to find out where he might have been for that year.

With thanks.

AMB

Hi AMB. If you post your Argyll's name and number and any other bits you feel may be relevant, I expect some of the Pals will be able to help. The 2/8th Argylls sounds like a TF unit rather than a New Army one. Strangely, I can find no reference to a 2/8th in the Official History for 1917. There was a 2nd Btn which would have been regulars,and a 1/8th who were in 51st Division, a famous Highland TF unit. Perhaps someone else can tell you more.

Amb,

The 2/8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders was the Second Line of the 8th Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Territorial Force). The original 8th became the 1/8th (First Line) and sent to France. The 2/8th became the Home Defence battalion and also the training battalion for the 1/8th until the Third Line (3/8th Bn A&SH) took over this job in 1915 sometime. The 1/8th Bn served in the 51st (Highland) Division.

Aye

Tom McC

Thanks Pete and Tom for your replies. The soldier I'm currently researching is Pte John Cameron 900312 who died of wounds in Le Treport in October 1918, having been awarded the Military Medal in August of that year (don't know what for). According to de Ruvigny he was born in 1888 but the CWGC has him aged 21. On the NA medal roll he does have another number (4 digits I think) along with 900312 but this latter one seems to appear in all of the other sources I've found him in. I'm trying to establish whether the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders spent any time in London. Pte Cameron was wounded earlier in 1917 and was brought back to the UK, returning to France in Sept of that year. I'm trying to find a photo of him - the photo in de Ruvigny is printed right in the middle of 2 entries which relate to 2 different John Camerons so it's difficult to know which one it refers to. Unfortunately, the Oban newspaper archives haven't ever got back to me, nor has the local museum. I've been in touch with Rod MacKenzie who has tried to help but unfortunately didn't have any specific info on Pte Cameron so I don't know if there's any real chance of finding anything more. I'm trying to establish if this soldier is the one I'm trying to find, called Cameron, who died of wounds in 1918, was awarded the Military Medal. The only other info I have is that "my" soldier was the eldest son of an old Catholic family. I also have a photo which I've posted on this site before but with no luck. Thanks for any suggestions for where else I might try.

Regards

AMB

I am afraid I cannot help with the research. I don't do family history, not even my own. :( If you are asking if the Argylls were ever stationed in London, I would say the answer is no. Some of them may well have taken part in parades there, especially after the war, but not permanently stationed there. If your man was in London after being wounded he was probably receiving medical treatment in one of the many hospitals. When fit, a spot of leave and then back to his unit.

With reference to your original post, 51st Div took part in the fighting on the Somme in 1916. In 1917, they fought at Arras. Specifically, alongside the Canadians at Vimy Ridge, they attacked the Labyrinth. That was April. They fought in the battle of Menin Road at III Ypres later in the year. I'm not sure where they were in 1918 but a MM in August suggests the Battle of Amiens or towards the start of the 100 days at the end of the war.

Thanks again Tom, I'm just trying to build up a picture and it's useful to know more about the Argylls and a clue with regard to his MM.

2/8th Battalion was at Dunoon at the time he enlisted and moved to Falkirk by August 1915. A couple of months later it went to Forfarshire. It moved to Norwich in March 1916.

Amb

Just a minor point, his 'new' service number after the Territorial Force renumbering was 300912 not 900312 ;)

The London Gazette entry for his MM (LG#30873) was in the issue dated 29th August 1918. This means that you need to allow at least two or three months prior to the announcement to determine the action in which it was won.

300912 Pte. J. Cameron, A. & S. Highrs. (Oban).

Regards

Steve