Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Benjamin Lavendofsky

Rory Reynolds

Hello all

I recently came into some effects of a Benjamin Lavendofsky. Among these were a silver Chess medallion from the University of London chess club dated 1912 and a British War Medal to 558038 (could be a 9 at the end) Pte. B Lavendofsky.Labour Corps.

I was given the goods by his son who now goes by the surname of Lavender.

I have tried to track down a 1901 census entry for him but have come up empty handed. I would also like to know if his number, 558038, means that he entered the war very late and, possibly, never qualified for the Victory medal making this his only entitlement.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Rory

Rory,

The only Lavendofsky on the MICs is your chap - see next posting.His number does end in 9 and per this search he only served in the Labour Corps.

The 1901 census comes up blank, as you mentioned, but there is a record of a Dora Lavendofsky being born in Whitechapel in the Jan-Feb-Mar quarter of 1900. Volume 1c page 313. The problem you've got is that a name like that can very easily be mis-spelt by the census chap.

Les

edited - 2.01pm

Thanks Les

You've saved me more than a few bob if you look at where I live.!

Any idea as to whether or not he would be a late entry i.e. does the number signify a possible late entry into the war?

Regards

Rory

Thanks Ivor

Where could one find out more about 1002 Company? Also, is it possible to get a download of the entry in the book you refer to?

Regards

Rory

Rory

I'll PM you what there is on 1002

The BJBH entry just has the name, number and company number. It is part of the list of Jews in the Labour Corps

Ivor

• 4 months later...
Guest ariellelavender

Rory-my name is Trevor lavender and i am Ronald lavenders' son. I grew up in Durban but live in Montreal-I know the chess medal you describe as I first saw it about 40 years ago-How did you come into possession of this? Benjamin would have been my Grandfather