Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC

Guest Ian Polley

Guest Ian Polley

I am looking for information of my grandfather. Frank B. Polley. He served in France between 1915 and 1918. Unable to find his attestation papers, possibly destroyed during WW2 blitz. I have recently found a photo of him beside an ambulance. This ambulance has writing on the side indicating it was donated by an Indian rajah or such. There is also a possible divisional sign on it depicting a perching bird which appears to be clutching two arrows or sticks.

My question is :- does anyone have any information regards this emblem and is it a div. sign. After the war my grandfather built a house which he named "Lumbres". This is a town near St Omer which leads me to believe he may have been stationed nearby. Because of his age(born 1878) I doubt that he was a front line soldier.

TIA

Ian

Vancouver. BC :D

As far as I know, only two Divisions featured birds on their symbol.

The 30th had the crest of Lord Derby, often known as the Bustard and *******, as the Eagle is grasping or even pecking at a Baby in its claws.

The 62nd had a rather jaunty looking pelican, striding along but not holding anything in its webbed feet.

Many units below Divisional level had their own symbol, and I suspect that this is what you have on the ambulance.

(By the way if you can get a scanned copy I can put it on this forum for you so we can see the symbol. Just email me with it.)

Could it be the 14th (Indian) Division?

This had a Woodcock for a symbol. The bird has 2 long legs that may be mistaken for sticks etc. Does the bird have a long beak?

John.

Ian was kind enough to supply a scan of the photograph. Does it shed any more light on it?

ramc_insignia.jpg

It is not too clear on the scan, but it looks as though there is a vertical line above the "bird's" head. A hangman's noose?

There is no Divisional connection to this Motor Ambulance.

The insignia is to the 324th ASC Coy , which provided the vehicles and drivers to the 6th Motor Ambulance Convoy.

The ASC unit sign was a "Blackbird hanging from a hook with a white background"

This unit was formed on 9 March 1915 and served with the 3rd Army in France.

The British Red Cross Society/ St. John Ambulance Association donated this particular vehicle which was probably paid for by His Highness the-----

Could the two soldiers be the ASC drivers instead of the RAMC personnel in the Motor Ambulance Convoy? The cap badges are not very clear.

Joe Sweeney

The words 'United Province' refer to the Indian province called at the time 'United Province of Agra & Oudh' (now Uttar Pradesh). Although a British ruled province well before WW1, its traditional rulers bore the title Nawab.

I am sure there is a Raj expert out there who knows the full story!

Guest Ian Polley

Thank you so much for the information you have suplied. All I know of my grandfathers military service was that he served on the Western Front and the second man in the picture apparently saved his life, possibly after a gas attack. I am unable to confirm this as everyone who may have any knowledge are long dead. I was at the PRO last year and found my grandfathers medal entitlements, which indicated his regimental no. 2479, and his unit as RAMC. The other man, whose surname was Grant, may have been in ASC, although the images of their cap badges appear to be the same. I will now start researching through 3rd Army and 324 coy ASC. Again, many thanks for your information.

Ian.

Vancouver. BC :D

Ian,

You may want to concentrate your research on the 6th Motor Ambulance Convoy (MAC) instead of the 324th Coy.

The 324th supplied vehicles (ambulances) and Drivers to the 6th. The 6th MAC had its own RAMC personnel too.

You might also research the 3rd Army as the 6th MAC was considered Army Troops and appears to have stayed with the 3rd for the duration of its service in France.

Joe Sweeney