Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55th (West Lancashire) Division, Givenchy

Ian Riley

Geoff,

I was unsurprisingly correct about being a lot older in 2018 but my comment about lasting another six and a half years was remarkably perceptive and had it not been for my GP being totally 'on the ball' less than a year after my 2011 post, I might not be writing to you today. Unfortunately, some of the effects of that collision with the surgeons continue to slow me down although, overall, all is well! I was hoping that relevant regiments might take it up, principally the regiment that now encompasses almost all the Lancashire battalions involved, but they are heavily committed to other commemorations as well as their everyday job (the reserve battalion has just returned from an operational deployment). 

Whether I make it across personally in April 1918 is yet to be decided between me, my bank manager and my diary. I am involved with Passchendaele commemorations of one sort or another both in Belgium and the UK and am hoping to be in Belgium in November 2018. 

I will be in touch by be-mail

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley
Clarification

Hello Geoff,

I don't think my friends are regular visitors to The Great War Forum, as I'm the person who uses it for our research group.  However, I'll ask one of them to respond to your posting.  The Library is the main one in Liverpool.  I didn't go myself, but my friends say you have to give 48 hours notice, and the library staff will make available the divisional records.  You are also allowed to photograph them.

You can also download the Divisional War Diary off the Imperial War Museum web site for a nominal fee.

Hope this is helpful.

with respects,

Wayne

• 4 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I visited the Memorial at Givenchy last week, and would be very interested in attending an event in April 2018.

Are there any firm plans please?

V/R

Wayne Finch

I haven't got of 2015 yet, still less August 2017. I understand there has been talk of a battlefield tour by a north west UK Reserve Army unit but this will be subject to financial support, operational requirements and simply finding people to organise. The major North West infantry unit (representative of the Territorial battalions involved) has, I think, selected another battle (with an East Lancashire aspect) for its 2018 commemorative effort. Whether I can attend is open to debate, committed to Ypres November 2018 and presently suffering a painful foot problem that has suddenly and surprisingly limited mobility - not sure if this can be resolved in the next seven months!

• 1 month later...

Ian,

i am interested in a trip to Givenchy in April so please keep me posted.

Geoff Partington

• Admin

Sometime member of the forum Phil Tomaselli might be worth contacting, as he is always at the 55th Division memoria in April. He may know if something is planned

Michelle 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody. Due to the fact that I am from Merseyside and now live in North Lancashire, I am very interested in the 55th (West Lancashire) Division and am organising a trip to Givenchy next 7th-11th April for the centenary of the Battle. I am liaising with local people to commemorate the Division on the 9th and aim as far as possible to retrace the footsteps of soldier ancestors on the ground. All welcome. Let me know by 10th December so I can book travel and accommodation. See my website northwesthistory.co.uk for more details.  I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Edited by StephenJohnRoberts1958
More details.

• 3 weeks later...

My father was there in April 1918 duringh the battle (he was a doctor at Lone Farm ADS just to the west of the Guards Cemetery). I've visited the village and memorial a couple of times in the past, and I had always intended to go there in April 2018. However, health issues are now a problem. It's about 4 & half hours from where I live in Holland, which is borderline being a bit too far to do there and back in a day, but I may try it none the less.

• Admin

Morris,

Might it be worth considering an overnight stay? 

https://www.gites-de-france.com/location-vacances-Festubert-Chambre-d-hotes-Les-Jardins-De-Paul-62G911.html

I've stayed here twice, it's very good, and the evening meals are really good.

Michelle 

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/12/2017 at 13:37, Morris said:

My father was there in April 1918 duringh the battle (he was a doctor at Lone Farm ADS just to the west of the Guards Cemetery). I've visited the village and memorial a couple of times in the past, and I had always intended to go there in April 2018. However, health issues are now a problem. It's about 4 & half hours from where I live in Holland, which is borderline being a bit too far to do there and back in a day, but I may try it none the less.

You must come over and join us. I am sure we could find accommodation for you.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I did get to visit the area in Jun e 2019! I did so much that is relevant  to so many different threads that I may have to post the information as a new topic.
For the time being I'll post a photo of me by the 55th West Lancs Division memorial at Givenchy
 DSC03925a.JPG.665f0926a83734b5726d6b8a65cfc7a1.JPG

Hope you had a great trip, I look forward to your new post.