Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J F Siddall MM 7th East Yorkshire Regt

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Had a bit of success on ebay recently when I bought an unresearched Victory medal to this soldier who turned out to have won the MM in 1916. The award was announced in the London Gazette in September 1916, so I was wondering whether he had won it on the Somme?

Any 7th East Yorkshire experts out there?

Ian

Looks like you've got a good one there, Ian.

Most of the awards for 1st July 1916 appeared in the September Gazettes and this battalion suffered heavy losses in the second wave of the attack on Fricourt. They went in after 10th West Yorks were wiped out in the area of the Tambour. The dead from this battalion lie with the 10th West Yorks, where they fell, in Fricourt Military Cemetery.

They were not in action again for some time after 1st July, so I think you could safely conclude it was for the Fricourt action.

Another one for your retirement fund.

They were not in action again for some time after 1st July, so I think you could safely conclude it was for the Fricourt action.

However, they were heavily involved in the fighting in the area of the Quadrangle between the 7th and the 10th July. Reading the battalion history, I'd say that this was the most likely action in which his MM was awarded.

Dave.

Ian.

Just out of curiosity. Is Siddall's service number 12205 ?

Dave

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Ian.

Just out of curiosity. Is Siddall's service number 12205 ?

Dave

Dave,

It is indeed - if anyone wants to see the item its eBay number is 2220080660. I have replaced the 'new' ring with a period one and added a beatiful silk ribbon. A nice gentle clean with some soapy water and hey presto we have something returning to what is should be!

Ian :)