14th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers) Northumberland Fusiliers

03/09/15 to 24/05/19

17th (Service) Battalion (N.E.R. Pioneers) Northumberland Fusiliers

20/11/15 to 30/04/19

18th (Service) Battalion (1st Tyneside Pioneers) Northumberland Fusiliers

10/01/16 to 30/04/19

23rd (Service) Battalion (4th Tyneside Scottish) Northumberland Fusiliers

19/12/15 to 31/07/16

Happy to assist with any reasonable requests.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen a "War Diary". How would I go about finding the war diary for the 26t Northumberland Fusliers?

Richard of Canada

• 6 months later...

Hello Richard

My Grandmothers Brother Private A.E.Kipling was killed serving with the 14th Northumberland Fusiliers on the 25th of march 1918. I would be very grateful if you could let me know the location of his battalion when he was killed.

Thank You

Phil.

How would I go about finding the war diary for the 26th Northumberland Fusiliers?

The original is in the Public Record Office in Kew. You could obtain a copy, but at 40p a sheet it would be a lot of money.

Does the NF museum in Alnwick have a copy, anyone know?

Richard,

Take a look at your own excellent online national archives. A great many Canadian War Diaries are online and they are identical to those used by the British. This will give you an idea of their usefulness.

• 7 months later...

Thanks Andrew, I have been away from the site for a while and have just moved my research site to http://www.censol.ca/research/greatwar/ and hope now to have some time to do some more work.

For those that do not have the link you were referring to for the National Archives in Canada, the War Diaries are at:

http://www.archives.ca/05/0518/051806_e.html (also available in French)

To the best of my knowledge, the Canadian archives do not (would not) have war diaries for British forces, such as the 26th NF, just the CEF units that may have fought under British command. I may be mistaken, or I just haven't got the knack of doing a search of the data base.

Richard

Dear Richard

The 26th Batt. N. F. is a Battalion of the Tyneside Irish(3rd Batt.). This Battalion is not part of my own research (6th Batt. N.F.) so I'm afraid I have not noticed whether there is a War Diary for the 26th N. F. at Alnwick museum but it is very likely and I could ask around.

John Sheen has written a very useful book about the 24th, 25th, 26th & 27th Batts. N. F.

'Tyneside Irish - a History of the Tyneside Irish Brigade raised in the North East in World War One' -ISBN 0-85052-587-X .

Perhaps you already know of the book but just in case you don't, I have this book and it gives a full account, with many photographs, (I think there are good quality photos on almost every page) of the raising of these Battalions, their embarkation for France (the 26th N. F. were the first to leave on the 9/01/16), devastation at the Somme in July 1916 and subsequent movements.

There is an excellent set of Appendices of nominal rolls of the four battalions containing Name, rank, number, company, enlistment, discharge, wounded, burial place and additional information. I tried to reproduce the detail in my own database of 6th N. F. but have not been able to access info. for some of those fields.

Hope this helps.

Kate

Dear Richard

Looking back at your previous post and after going to your website, which I didn't do before rushing to reply to you, I can see that you probably know much of what I have just said but the book is still worth it for the detail and pictures.

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

Kate:

I do have the book but I enjoyed your response regardless, as I have found that you can not assume that others have been where you have been or have read what you have read. In fact, I ordered the book from Military Press last year and found that my grandfather was in the book so I ordered more and sent them as Christmas presents to my relatives who also were interested. I have now started to record the history of the Tyneside Irish on my web site ... or should I say I have set aside the space in anticipation of my having the time. There are many great references out there on this group, god bless the Irish for their records.

http://www.censol.ca/research/greatwar/tyneside/tyneside.htm

I welcome any input that others want to send me for this part of the web site.

Richard

• 4 months later...

Richard

Could please let me know if there is any information in the diary on any of the following soldiers who served with the 14th NF

12377 Pte Albert Bullous won M.M. LG 21/10/18

35786 Pte John Scott who was KIA 27/05/18

27375 Pte Walter Ralph DOW 21/07/16

15037 Pte Frank Evlyn John Worrall KIA 28/12/15

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Peter

Richard

that's a fine web site you have developed - i look forward to delving in to it in greater depth!

Thanks for your endeavours

mike S

• 2 months later...

Richard

18 Northumberland Fusiliers was my Great Grandfathers Battalion.

Would you consider copying the war diary for me?

I am willing to pay whatever the cost is.

SEAN

Sean

Richard does n't appear to have visited the forum for some time.

I have tried to contact by email but no response.

I have the historical records of the 18th Bn so I may be able to assist you.

Whats your G/Grandfathers name etc and I will have a look for you

Peter

Peter

Thank You

He was Private William Edward JONES but was also known as John Jones.

His service number was 58164.

I believe that he wouldn't have joined the battalion until autumn 1917 at the earliest.

Family legend has it that he was gassed.

Whatever happened, he left the battalion in 1918 and went to 989 Area Employment Company.

If it would be possible for you to copy the diary then I am willing to pay the costs.

SEAN

Sean

In the book is the battalions itinerary which cover the period 16/10/14 to 09/06/19. If you send me a pm with your address I will post to you.

I'm afraid there is no mention of him in the book.

Peter

• 1 year later...
Sean

Richard does n't appear to have visited the forum for some time.

Sorry about that, I do drop in once and a while but you can still contact me direct by e-mail or from the web site at http://www.censol.ca/contact.htm (as that will be my most current e-mail address -spam causes changes!)

I have been working on our family genealogy and my maternal grandfather's role in the CEF (Princess Pats) and then the BEF (Royal Irish Rifles), as well as dealing with my 4 daughters who have now reached the age of marriage!! Ouch!!

I was an early member of Chris's site and then I found it GREW and GREW and GREW and soon it was so big that I could not keep up with what was happening. Even the contracts to have some research done for me "fell between the cracks" and so I became a little disappointed.

But .... if I can assist anyone, drop me a line and I will respond.

Richard

http://www.richardlaughton.com

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Appealing for help with some dates from:

03/09/15 to 24/05/19

Relating to a great uncle, 2nd Lt. Thomas Mitchell who died on November 4, 1918.

Any quotes surrounding him or details of where he died/ was fighting just before that would be great.

Alternatively I'd be just as grateful if anyone could supply me with a National Archive catalogue number for the above.

Thanks, Jim

Sorry Jim, I do not have any information on the 14th Pioneers.

I still have not been able to locate the war diary page of the 26th NF for the date of April 9th, 1917.

Looks like we need to find an expert who has access to all this information.

No fears, many thanks for the reply.

I've tried the National Archive for help but have had no reply. Strange as I've had some great online help before.

I may wait a little while and then try a pro near the NA to see if anything can be unearthed.

I'll post any notes of success if I do.

Cheers, Jim

• 1 month later...

Hello Jim

I have been off line for quite some time, so appologies for not replying, have you found what you were looking for regarding 2nd Lt. Thomas Mitchell?

I cannot find a mention of him in the War Diary.

The War Diary for the 14th Battalion NF States:

03/11/18

"A" and "C" Coys. worked on forward roads.

04/11/18

H.Q.. Transport and "D" Coy. moved to VENDEGIES-AU-BOIS. "A" and "C" Coys. continued work on forward roads. 21st Div. Order No. 258 received. C.R.E. O.O.52, R.E.9277 and work instructions received.

I have quoted the 3rd and 4th of Nov 18 in full from the War Diary as written.

There is a reference to him in Cross of Sacrifice as: died (of wounds??) "att GHQ lewisGSch". He is buried in Etaples so may have been an instructor thereabouts.

Hope this gives you somthing to work on.

Cheers

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
No fears, many thanks for the reply.

I've tried the National Archive for help but have had no reply. Strange as I've had some great online help before.

I may wait a little while and then try a pro near the NA to see if anything can be unearthed.

I'll post any notes of success if I do.

Cheers, Jim

Hello Jim

I have been off line for quite some time, so appologies for not replying, have you found what you were looking for regarding 2nd Lt. Thomas Mitchell?

I cannot find a mention of him in the War Diary.

The War Diary for the 14th Battalion NF States:

03/11/18

"A" and "C" Coys. worked on forward roads.

04/11/18

H.Q.. Transport and "D" Coy. moved to VENDEGIES-AU-BOIS. "A" and "C" Coys. continued work on forward roads. 21st Div. Order No. 258 received. C.R.E. O.O.52, R.E.9277 and work instructions received.

I have quoted the 3rd and 4th of Nov 18 in full from the War Diary as written.

There is a reference to him in Cross of Sacrifice as: died (of wounds??) "att GHQ lewisGSch". He is buried in Etaples so may have been an instructor thereabouts.

Hope this gives you somthing to work on.

Cheers

Richard

Hello Richard,

Most grateful for the reply, that does help immensely.

I managed to get this section of the war diary online from the National Arcs and was sad to see

that he wasn't mentioned.

I did begin to think that he was away from his battalion when he died and assumed that he could have been wounded, injured in a pioneerring accident or even suffering from a disease.

His medal card dates his transfer from a Sgt. in 10th Bn East Yorks Regiment as OTC to a Lewis Gun Sch in Oct 1917; bring the C of S details and the possible Etaples base connection and you are very pobably right about being an instructor.

Once again, many thanks.

Cheers, Jim

• 1 year later...
I have a copy of the following War Diaries:

03/09/15 to 24/05/19

17th (Service) Battalion (N.E.R. Pioneers) Northumberland Fusiliers

20/11/15 to 30/04/19

18th (Service) Battalion (1st Tyneside Pioneers) Northumberland Fusiliers

10/01/16 to 30/04/19

23rd (Service) Battalion (4th Tyneside Scottish) Northumberland Fusiliers

19/12/15 to 31/07/16

Happy to assist with any reasonable requests.

Hi Richard, my Gt Gf was in the 17th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers - could you see if he is mentioned in the diaries, his name was William Gladstone Batterbee service no 17/897. He was wounded in The Somme and gained the rank of Sgt by the end of the war. He was in D company.

Gill Humphriss

• 2 years later...

Hi Richard, I am also looking for details of my GGF, Pte Samuel Herbert Rowland Hill, wounded in July 1916 (17th NER) (somme preusmably), It would be fantastic to see the July war diary for the 17th if at all possible. Many thanks!!

Dan